270soft Forum
Herbert Hoover

Founding Fathers: The Young Republic

It was the birth of a new nation. In the Fall of 1787, the newly free colonists threw aside the disastrous Articles of Confederation and embraced a new guiding document, the Constitution.

You, George Washington (@vcczar) were the overwhelming choice as the first President of The United States. There is no precedent for a republic of this nature, but there are a certain number of offices to fill and issues to address during your first term, and no absence of statesmen desiring of power and influence of their own who wish to fill them. While there are no well defined political parties as of yet, most statemen are vaguely grouped as either Liberal or Conservative. You are the most popular and influential conservative, but shall you remain so?

Here are the most prominent statesmen in the nation as of now, and you will need to decide who you are able to trust and who you will have keep at arms reach, Mr. Washington. Good luck to you, and may God bless this Republic.

@vcczar : George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Edmund Randolph

@Kingthero : John Adams, John Jay, Fisher Ames

@Agent B: Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, Albert Gallatin

@mlcorcoran : Aaron Burr, C Pinckney, CC Pinckney

@Dr. Insano: Alexander Hamilton, Elbridge Gerry, DeWitt Clinton

As soon as I receive confirmation from each of you that you are still playing, I will go ahead and post the first issue. We are playing with the same rules as the other two forum games. However, I will reserve the right to decide a rule debate without waiting for response from the creator and keep his response in mind for the next time that the situation occurs. This should prevent players from acting in ways that are ultimately harmful to them due to unclear rules at times. There are a couple of the expansion rules that we are also incorporating. For example, if you lose twice in a row as a presidential nominee, you cannot run again. I will also have the house rule that a statesman who succeeds the President upon death is not forced into retirement if he does not win the nomination. 

Players will now receive two action cards each in their private messages. These cards may be either played during your turn, or traded to other players in the same way that you are able to trade influence. 

The spreadsheet, which you will likely use extensively, is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pRgJa58ypNreGOonlUimC8achgkBakTgpKMGvTY1sRE/edit#gid=0

This includes all the important information and changes as the game goes on. Just give a simple affirmation that you are still playing and the issue will be posted very soon! I look forward to DMing for you all. This is a well rounded bunch capable of great RPing. 

Edit: Look to the spreadsheet for how your PMed cards are used. There is an action cards tab at the bottom. 

I'm ready whenever everyone else is 

Washington's Meets His Faction

George Washington meets with his faction to determine how the new country will be formed. However, he is perturbed that Benjamin Franklin and Edmund Randolph are of a liberal persuasion. 

Benjamin Franklin spends the early part of the meeting thinking about his age. He warms himself with the thought that, unlike President Washington, he has at least one more natural tooth left in his mouth. 

Edmund Randolph is baffled to be in company with Washington and Franklin, but as he comes from an important family, he realizes that he belongs here. He eagerly awaits a position of importance. 

Washington seems distracted, he keeps thinking about his garden in Mount Vernon, a garden that he micromanaged even during the Revolutionary War. Franklin is now thinking of his gout. Randolph is now thinking about when he will lose his teeth and when he might develop gout. 

Everyone is distracting themselves from the important mission at hand. Will this nation survive its birth? 

Your fellow founding father revolutionary, and now territorial governor of Ohio Benjamin Harrison V has requested to meet with you. He briskly enters your office, and it is clear that something has gone amiss.

“President Washington, we have received word from the settlers on our Northwestern border that the natives have grown increasingly aggressive. In fact, there are reports that many of the savages are armed with British arms, and have been trained to use them. As a result, there have been several casualties in out Northwestern territories. Many of our citizens in our Northwestern territories and the respective territorial governors are writing to us and begging for assistance. I was delegated the task of representing the territories at large. Something must be done to protect the American people, Washington.”

What path forward will you take? If you choose to combat these raging Indians, who will you choose to lead our armies?

Alexander Hamilton is a fine choice, and he has made it clear that if he is not appointed to the Treasury that he would be open to leading your armies. The Pinckney’s are sure to have a good man for the job, the family of plantation owners were very active in the war for our freedom.

There is Aaron Burr, who while considered untrustworthy by some is by all means a fantastic military commander.

Finally, there is Edmund Randolph, who faithfully served under you during the Revolutionary War, and could be trusted to put an end to the Indian aggression.

Will you put down the rebellion of the savages, Mr. Washington?

@vcczar

(I'm going to go ahead and post this as it may only require action from @vcczar)

Issue 1.jpg

For new players:

Issues are always first at the President's desk. Every issue has a difficulty rating from 1-7. To resolve an issue, you must be able to meet the difficulty rating of the issue with an appointed statesman's ability + IP. Every faction starts with 3IP and you gain 1IP during the Peoples Phase. 

This issue has a difficulty of 4. It is handled by the General, as specified by the card. This means that to solve the issue, the President must appoint a General, which is a nonpartisan office that must be held by a statesman with the military ability. Theoretically, Washington could appoint Aaron Burr as General, and ask him to spend two faction IP to resolve the issue. 

If the issue is resolved, you get the first effect on the top right of the card, +2 popularity. If you fail or ignore it, you get -2 popularity. 

George Washington decides the offices. 

Washington takes a break from planning out a new garden to consider offices for a cabinet. If he can delegate the work, then he can go back to micromanaging his property and investments. 

He takes out a piece of paper and writes a letter to the US Congress:

To the Congress of the United States,

I nominated John Jay for Secretary of State @Kingthero

I nominate Alexander Hamilton for Secretary of the Treasury  @Dr. Insano

I nominate Charles Coatesworth Pinckney for Secretary of War @mlcorcoran

I nominate Fisher Ames for Attorney General @Kingthero

I nominate Benjamin Franklin as Postmaster General

I nominate DeWitt Clinton as Envoy @Dr. Insano

I nominate Charles Pinckney as General @mlcorcoran

I nominate Edmund Randolph as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

Your obd't servant,

George Washington, President. 

[I also play my Theory of Judicial Review Action Card]

@mlcorcoran

If Pinckney accepts the nomination, Pinckney will be at 3 popularity. Additionally, between Pinckney and Washington, you will need to come up with 3IP to solve the issue. If you do not, both of your statesmen will lose 2 popularity, and the card is added to the next deck. 

Hamilton humbly accept Sec of Treasury Dept 

Clinton accepts Envoy position 

John Jay accepts Secretary of State

Fisher Ames accepts Attorney General

Important notice!

Judicial review is now active. This has not happened in either game on the forum as of yet. This means that the Chief Justice can cancel certain issue resolutions that the Supreme Court historically could have been able to do. @vcczar currently controls Chief Justice Randolph, but when he resigns or retires he may be replaced by the president at the time. 

I have spoken with her father and all the necessary exchanges have been made in accordance to the agreed upon dowry.

A. Gallatin would like you all to bear witness of my marriage to the lovely Dolley Todd-Gallatin!

(Dolley Todd card)

25 minutes ago, Agent B said:

I have spoken with her father and all the necessary exchanges have been made in accordance to the agreed upon dowry.

A. Gallatin would like you all to bear witness of my marriage to the lovely Dolley Todd-Gallatin!

(Dolley Todd card)

Many high ranking Liberals were in attendance. Governor James Madison officiated the wedding, and there was some stir over rumors that he had intended to marry Dolley Todd herself one day. It was all for naught, as the wedding went off without a hitch, and Albert Gallatin and the union with his wife Dolley Todd made him more likable in the eyes of the public. 

[rifles through copy of Roberts Rules of Order...]

Point of Parliamentary Procedure, Mr. Chairman!

My faction on the spreadsheet is Burr, C. Cotesworth Pinckney, and Charles Pinckney, Second of His Name (#GoT); but at the top of the thread my faction was identified as Burr, C. Cotesworth Pinckney, and Gerry.

Is Gerry a typo? Or is the typo the younger CP? And does that affect the cabinet position offers on the table?

1 minute ago, mlcorcoran said:

My faction on the spreadsheet is Burr, C. Cotesworth Pinckney, and Charles Pinckney, Second of His Name (#GoT); but at the top of the thread my faction was identified as Burr, C. Cotesworth Pinckney, and Gerry.

Is Gerry a typo? Or is the typo the younger CP? And does that affect the cabinet position offers on the table?

It is both Pinckneys. That is my bad, I had originally trimmed it down from 6 factions and had to do some changes and rerolling! I must have left that part wrong by mistake. Good catch! 

3 minutes ago, mlcorcoran said:

Delegate, please rise and state your point of information. 

I kid. The changes have been made. Your amendment is a friendly one. 

2 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

Delegate, please rise and state your point of information. 

I kid. The changes have been made. Your amendment is a friendly one. 

I need to do research on Elbridge Gerry now

1 minute ago, Dr. Insano said:

I need to do research on Elbridge Gerry now

He is going to be very difficult to make President. He is a special case because he can only be president in the case of one party dominance, which occurs when one party has a public support of 9 or higher.  

On the bright side, people generally seem more willing to appoint him to offices if they are out of allied Statesmen due to his age and inability to be President in most cases. 

1 minute ago, Herbert Hoover said:

He is going to be very difficult to make President. He is a special case because he can only be president in the case of one party dominance, which occurs when one party has a public support of 9 or higher.  

On the bright side, people generally seem more willing to appoint him to offices if they are out of allied Statesmen due to his age and inability to be President in most cases. 

He is also eligible to be VP for either party, and therefore can become president that way — with no limits on who he can appoint to cabinet roles.

Just now, Actinguy said:

He is also eligible to be VP for either party, and therefore can become president that way — with no limits on who he can appoint to cabinet roles.

I actually didn't know that last part. That makes him a very interesting choice for VP. Even more so since I have the house rule that an Acting President does not count as a Sitting President for the definition of retirement due to not having an elected pawn. 

I do declare, good sir, the CP cousins both humbly accept the respective offers of General and Secretary of War.

General Charles the younger extends his influence to the movers and shakers of Philadelphia with his own homemade twist on that beloved southern cocktail the Mint Julep, modified with a garnish of indigo grown on his Snee Farm plantation.

Mr. Chairman please present this issue before Congress for a vote @Herbert Hoover

8 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

is he in elected office at this point?