270soft Forum
jnewt

Michael Arth

Does anybody know anything about Michael Arth? He's listed on wikipedia as a notable candidate (not included as a major declared candidate, though). He is also in support of a Universal Basic Income (like Andrew Yang) and is a self-described "social democrat". I like what little I've read about him, and am curious if anybody else is aware of him and has an opinion of him.

50 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Does anybody know anything about Michael Arth? He's listed on wikipedia as a notable candidate (not included as a major declared candidate, though). He is also in support of a Universal Basic Income (like Andrew Yang) and is a self-described "social democrat". I like what little I've read about him, and am curious if anybody else is aware of him and has an opinion of him.

"Hi, my name is Stereo Mike,"

-Opening line of "Drinking in L.A." by Bran Van 3000. :P

3 hours ago, jnewt said:

He is also in support of a Universal Basic Income (like Andrew Yang) and is a self-described "social democrat".

He likes killing revolutionaries?

I kid, but Western Social Democracy is primarily propped up by wealth extracted through exploitation of the Third World. Social Democracy operating under global capitalism requires a great deal of capital in the hands of the state to function, and the easiest way for a Social Democrat government to attain that wealth without alienating the workers that they claim to stand for is to tax multinational, neoliberal corporations. As such, Social Democracy in the west can only truly function because of neoliberalism concentrating global wealth into the west through exploitation. Social Democracy is inherently unsustainable, because it ultimately relies on super-profits plundered from the Third World, and also preserves a highly repressive state apparatus to ensure the continued exploitation doesn't fall into revolt (look at the police states popping up all through Europe). 

The video I've linked below goes much more in depth about how Social Democracy won't fix Capitalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYUSTtHfGc

From what I've just read on his wiki I would say he doesn't really stand a chance, calls himself a reality based candidate though which is interesting. 

It seems like he might be more running to promote his ideas more so than anything. There is always a handful of candidates like that who end up being a non factor.