270soft Forum
Actinguy

Actinguy's Founding Fathers

@Shamilton

ISSUE TWO

Mr. President.  Now that we’ve failed to convince Congress to declare war, Germany has grown even more bold in their attacks.  It seems every day now, Germany sinks yet another one of our merchant ships.  Mr. President, how much longer must we endure this madness?!

D402524B-CB53-4F08-96E0-7BD1E7AE0C6E.thumb.jpeg.287e8d9a7303ae9253ba6f992ea23a9d.jpeg

N equals 4.

Declare war: 7 difficulty.  Popularity 2.

Avoid war: 5 difficulty.  Popularity -2.

Failed/Ignored -1 popularity

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

@Shamilton

ISSUE TWO

Mr. President.  Now that we’ve failed to convince Congress to declare war, Germany has grown even more bold in their attacks.  It seems every day now, Germany sinks yet another one of our merchant ships.  Mr. President, how much longer must we endure this madness?!

D402524B-CB53-4F08-96E0-7BD1E7AE0C6E.thumb.jpeg.287e8d9a7303ae9253ba6f992ea23a9d.jpeg

N equals 4.

Declare war: 7 difficulty.  Popularity 2.

Avoid war: 5 difficulty.  Popularity -2.

Failed/Ignored -1 popularity

Seeing that congress will fail it anyway, I will ignore the issue 

4 minutes ago, Shamilton said:

Seeing that congress will fail it anyway, I will ignore the issue 

Okey doke.  

That brings us to...

THE FINAL ISSUE!

THE FINAL ISSUE

Issue Three

Mr. President.

I know that I have spent far too many hours in this office, insisting that each successive step in Germany's escalation represented some final, uncrossable line.  And I know that each time, Congress has refused to hear our pleas.

But this time -- truly, sir -- this time you must make them listen.  You must!  I beg of you.  It is just unconscionable for the United States to continue to turn a blind eye when we have the power to save the world.

Mr. President -- we have grown tragically immune...nearly dead inside, perhaps...to reports of American merchants killed in European waters over the past decade.  The first was a tragedy.  The fiftieth a trend.  The hundredth a statistic.   The thousandth a bothersome nuisance to our scheduled activities that day.

But sir -- this time, the Germans didn't kill our merchants.

They killed our women.

They killed our children.

Mr. President, I've been informed that at 5:30 this morning -- 10:30 local time -- a German u-boat fired a single missile at the RMS Titanic.  The Unsinkable Ship.

Let me assure you, sir, she sank.

All 2,300 passengers and crew were killed -- some in the explosion, some drowned.  Most froze to death, as the presence of the U-boats meant no rescue boats could get near.

Sir -- this was strictly a passenger ship, heading to the United States of America.  There were no munitions, no contraband.  The ship was leaving a war zone.  There is simply no excuse for the senseless death of 2,300 men, women, and children.

Mr. President, you must find a way to make Congress understand.

I’m sorry, sir, my assistant has just handed me a note.  Let me just take a look and...my god, are you sure?

Sir, I’ve just been informed former Postmaster General Garret Hobart was on the ship.

A6ED3FAA-DFAD-4ADC-BE46-65C5E4C70857.thumb.jpeg.89453aa23d278c031f4364c216cae06a.jpeg

N equals 5.

Declare War: Difficulty 6. Popularity 3.

Avoid War: Difficulty 6. Popularity -3.

Ignore/Fail: Popularity -1 

38 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

THE FINAL ISSUE

Issue Three

Mr. President.

I know that I have spent far too many hours in this office, insisting that each successive step in Germany's escalation represented some final, uncrossable line.  And I know that each time, Congress has refused to hear our pleas.

But this time -- truly, sir -- this time you must make them listen.  You must!  I beg of you.  It is just unconscionable for the United States to continue to turn a blind eye when we have the power to save the world.

Mr. President -- we have grown tragically immune...nearly dead inside, perhaps...to reports of American merchants killed in European waters over the past decade.  The first was a tragedy.  The fiftieth a trend.  The hundredth a statistic.   The thousandth a bothersome nuisance to our scheduled activities that day.

But sir -- this time, the Germans didn't kill our merchants.

They killed our women.

They killed our children.

Mr. President, I've been informed that at 5:30 this morning -- 10:30 local time -- a German u-boat fired a single missile at the RMS Titanic.  The Unsinkable Ship.

Let me assure you, sir, she sank.

All 2,300 passengers and crew were killed -- some in the explosion, some drowned.  Most froze to death, as the presence of the U-boats meant no rescue boats could get near.

Sir -- this was strictly a passenger ship, heading to the United States of America.  There were no munitions, no contraband.  The ship was leaving a war zone.  There is simply no excuse for the senseless death of 2,300 men, women, and children.

Mr. President, you must find a way to make Congress understand.

I’m sorry, sir, my assistant has just handed me a note.  Let me just take a look and...my god, are you sure?

Sir, I’ve just been informed former Postmaster General Garret Hobart was on the ship.

A6ED3FAA-DFAD-4ADC-BE46-65C5E4C70857.thumb.jpeg.89453aa23d278c031f4364c216cae06a.jpeg

N equals 5.

Declare War: Difficulty 6. Popularity 3.

Avoid War: Difficulty 6. Popularity -3.

Ignore/Fail: Popularity -1 

It is time to end this. How can congress continue to avoid intervening after such devastation? All out of spite? Surely we are better than this. 

Near, far, wherever you are...Our country needs us! We must decide our legacy. Are we going to be Oscar winning heartthrob, Leonardo DiCaprio? Or will we be that smug sonovabitch, Billy Zane? The choice is yours.

Secretary Root, I ask you to once again plead with congress to go to war. 

Cabinet positions will be filled tomorrow morning. 

8 hours ago, mlcorcoran said:

Senate Minority Leader Henry Stimson releases a statement that Congress will only entertain a Yes vote on a Bill to AVOID WAR.

D25171A6-7BF1-48E2-B594-792D2373A285.gif

9 hours ago, Shamilton said:

It is time to end this. How can congress continue to avoid intervening after such devastation? All out of spite? Surely we are better than this. 

Near, far, wherever you are...Our country needs us! We must decide our legacy. Are we going to be Oscar winning heartthrob, Leonardo DiCaprio? Or will we be that smug sonovabitch, Billy Zane? The choice is yours.

Secretary Root, I ask you to once again plead with congress to go to war. 

Cabinet positions will be filled tomorrow morning. 

Action to @Agent B to confirm whether he's willing to propose the war again to Congress.

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Action to @Agent B to confirm whether he's willing to propose the war again to Congress.

When I first read this I quickly saw if I'm willing to propose war against congress.... I hope that's not the case. I stand with the President! 

Just now, Agent B said:

When I first read this I quickly saw if I'm willing to propose war against congress.... I hope that's not the case. I stand with the President! 

Okay!  That brings us to 14 aye, 14 nay.  Needs 27 to pass.  What say you, @Woot and @Leuser?  

(I'm assuming @mlcorcoran was a nay per his message above)

1 minute ago, mlcorcoran said:

Correct. I would have been a Yay to resolution B, but if resolution A is moving forward it's a Nay

Yep, Shamilton/AgentB proposed option A.

25 minutes ago, Agent B said:

beautiful-jump-leonardo-dicaprio-love-titanic-Favim.com-237288.gif

18 minutes ago, Leuser said:

Nay!

Ok, vote to @Woot.  He has enough votes to swing the tally in either direction.

If he votes nay, that’s it, game over.  I’ll add up the final scores and type up some kind of summary conclusion.  We can talk about what, if anything, we want to run next.

If he votes aye, the whip count will be extremely close and we’ll do the vote in order, allowing each to spend IP to buy more votes if they’d like on their turn, and possibly play out World War One if that’s the way the end vote goes.

Action to @Woot

4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

If he votes nay, that’s it, game over.  I’ll add up the final scores and type up some kind of summary conclusion.  We can talk about what, if anything, we want to run next.

If he votes aye, the whip count will be extremely close and we’ll do the vote in order, allowing each to spend IP to buy more votes if they’d like on their turn, and possibly play out World War One if that’s the way the end vote goes.

Action to @Woot

@Actinguy, am I correct in assuming that the best chance for me to lose popularity here at the end would be to go to war and lose? I understand my opponents are clearly trying their best to chip away at my insurmountable lead, but wouldn't they be better off sending our country to war and then putting all their effort into making it a complete disaster?

If so, I'd prefer that even if it ends up costing me the game because I want to see how the Great War is played. Otherwise, if @Woot votes nay then its over and we'd have to wait until next time. 

22 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Action to @Woot

Yay!

Just now, Woot said:

Yay!

Okay!  Whip count is 27 aye, 26 nay.  That’s close enough to play this out.

We start with @Woot.  @Woot, will you be spending any IP to buy more votes for this?  You can spend faction and/or individual statesmen influence points. 1 IP = 3 votes.

6 minutes ago, Leuser said:

I will make this easy. Just to see the war I will be swayed to vote aye. 

Hooray!  To arms, men!