270soft Forum
vcczar

Founding Fathers PI Forum RP 2019

Excerpt from the eulogy of Patrick Henry, April 21st of 1797

Former Secretary of State and the highest ranking member of the Liberal Party has succumbed to eternal rest early yesterday morning after fighting a several month long battle with pneumonia. It is rumored that the cause of his illness was from a two hour speech given out on the lawn of the White House, in which Patrick Henry urged his fellow liberals to oppose the Sedition Act, which was his breaking point of his long relationship with John Adams. With the death of Patrick Henry, Liberal Congressmen were unable to block the passage of the Sedition Act. 

18 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

Excerpt from the eulogy of Patrick Henry, April 21st of 1997

Former Secretary of State and the highest ranking member of the Liberal Party has succumbed to eternal rest early yesterday morning after fighting a several month long battle with pneumonia. It is rumored that the cause of his illness was from a two hour speech given out on the lawn of the White House, in which Patrick Henry urged his fellow liberals to oppose the Sedition Act, which was his breaking point of his long relationship with John Adams. With the death of Patrick Henry, Liberal Congressmen were unable to block the passage of the Sedition Act. 

Couple centuries late there!

And I cannot change the results

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Couple centuries late there!

And I cannot change the results

Whoops! I mistyped 😛 

Just a suggestion, but if someone has a card, they may not know whether it will be useful to play it until they see how the election plays out. Many of the cards require the presence of a cube in a particular location before it can be played.  The states that are available at that time determine whether it is wise to do so. At the same time they might not want to tip their hand that they  have a card as it could help the opposition in future elections in case they do not play it. Bottom line: it may be fairer to just play out the election.

1 minute ago, upandaway said:

Just a suggestion, but if someone has a card, they may not know whether it will be useful to play it until they see how the election plays out. Many of the cards require the presence of a cube in a particular location before it can be played.  The states that are available at that time determine whether it is wise to do so. At the same time they might not want to tip their hand that they  have a card as it could help the opposition in future elections in case they do not play it. Bottom line: it may be fairer to just play out the election.

Just wanted to let you know that I tried to purchase the game and it said they were out of white cubes. 

Also, does the two-term rule mean that Jefferson cannot run for President again, or that he must retire completely?

Thanks, yes, unfortunately they have run out of 10mm white cubes. We hope they will find some more soon, but could take a few weeks.

Did @vcczar announce the optional two-time loser rule was in use? I don't recall that. If it were, Jefferson would have been given the option to defer to a less popular candidate this time around. So my suspicion is that you're not using that rule.

1 minute ago, upandaway said:

Thanks, yes, unfortunately they have run out of 10mm white cubes. We hope they will find some more soon, but could take a few weeks.

Did @vcczar announce the optional two-time loser rule was in use? I don't recall that. If it were, Jefferson would have been given the option to defer to a less popular candidate this time around. So my suspicion is that you're not using that rule.

I had asked if it was one of the rules he borrowed from the sequel in private messaging. He mentioned in the first post that he was borrowing some rules from the expansion without elaborating on which ones, so I asked him about the two-time loser rule and the nomination deferrment rule. (How exactly does the nomination declining work? Can I decline only if another one of my own statesmen or could I decline until another player wins the nomination?)

9 minutes ago, upandaway said:

I do think @vcczar mentioned it, possibly either in the group private message or emails.  But of course if @vcczar disagrees, then I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, upandaway said:

You would defer to the next most popular politician in the party, who cannot decline.

Huh, that's interesting. That derails a precaution I wanted to make below that didn't end up being necessary anyway 😛 

Here is the message from Vcczar. 

Screenshot_6.png

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I do think @vcczar mentioned it, possibly either in the group private message or emails.  But of course if @vcczar disagrees, then I could be wrong.

I mentioned it somewhere. Jefferson has to retire. About to head home and I’ll calculate all that has occurred while I’ve been gone. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I mentioned it somewhere. Jefferson has to retire. About to head home and I’ll calculate all that has occurred while I’ve been gone. 

I found reference to it in the group PM.

52 minutes ago, upandaway said:

Fair enough.  Last time, the order went like this.  As everybody made the very best possible strategic move that they could on their turn (without any cards to play), I recommend we go with this again.

That said, if anyone would like to rewind to a certain step and play forward from that moment...for example, if @Hestia11 does indeed have a card they'd like to play...just let us know.  Otherwise, we can push forward.

Adams had to start in New England.
Jay had to start in New York.
Jefferson had to start in VA.
Burr had to choose either Carolina or MD, and correctly chose MD as their best possible move absent any cards.
Adams had no possible moves left.
Jay had to move to PA.
Jefferson had to choose either OH or Carolina, and correctly chose OH as their best possible move absent any cards.
Burr had to take DE.
Jay had to take NJ (thus winning the election for him and Adams).
Jefferson had to take Carolina.
Burr had no more moves.
Jay had no more moves.
Jefferson had to take Georgia 

The election concluded, 72-65.

As we have the same states and same candidates, let me know if anyone (Hestia) needs to play it out.

10 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Fair enough.  Last time, the order went like this.  As everybody made the very best possible strategic move that they could on their turn (without any cards to play), I recommend we go with this again.

That said, if anyone would like to rewind to a certain step and play forward from that moment...for example, if @Hestia11 does indeed have a card they'd like to play...just let us know.  Otherwise, we can push forward.

Adams had to start in New England.
Jay had to start in New York.
Jefferson had to start in VA.
Burr had to choose either VA or MD, and correctly chose MD as their best possible move absent any cards.
Adams had no possible moves left.
Jay had to move to PA.
Jefferson had to choose either OH or Carolina, and correctly chose OH as their best possible move absent any cards.
Burr had to take DE.
Jay had to take NJ (thus winning the election for him and Adams).
Jefferson had to take Carolina.
Burr had no more moves.
Jay had no more moves.
Jefferson had to take Georgia 

The election concluded, 72-65.

As we have the same states and same candidates, let me know if anyone (Hestia) needs to play it out.

I can answer for @Hestia11 for the sake of expediency. He doesn't have an election-based action card. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I can answer for @Hestia11 for the sake of expediency. He doesn't have an election-based action card. 

Yup did not. 

31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Though if you're using the rule Jefferson ought to have had the option of not running.

By the way, just to be clear, he would not retire retire; he just could n't run again. He would still be a faction member.

@Reagan04 Jefferson is forced to retire. He earns Reagan 6 victory points, tying him with second with Caleb. Actinguy leads with 20. Jefferson never held office, but he was a two-time presidential candidate and 3-time Liberal Party leader. Gallatin is now Liberal Party leader, which gives @Actinguy both party leaders once again. 

@CalebsParadox @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Hestia11

I've added +1 influence to every faction. +1 influence to party leaders Adams and Gallatin. +1 influence to Hamilton and Burr. 

I am now going to email your current action hands with your new cards. 

"Mr. Burr.  You denigrate and vilify our duly elected President...the choice of the People!...at every turn.  You claim to be the unbiased hand, carefully watching over the law of the land, yet you invest your own resources in a newspaper that consistently accuses the beloved President Adams of being unfit for office!

Sir, either admit to these charges or meet me at Weehawken. Dawn. Guns. Drawn.

I have the honor to be:

Your obedient servant,
E. Rand

Edmund Randolph challenges the traitorous Supreme Court Justice Aaron Burr to a duel!