270soft Forum
vcczar

Founding Fathers PI Forum RP 2019

Founding Fathers Initial Factions (see card images attached)

@Actinguy Washington, Franklin, Adams

@CalebsParadox Hamilton, Jay, Ellsworth

@Reagan04 Jefferson, Madison, Monroe

@Hestia11 Burr, Clinton, Wilson

HOW TO READ TH CARDS

If the cards are light blue, then they are "liberal" (using the old definition of personal liberties and free trade).

If the cards are light brown, then they are "conservative" 

The circle in the top left shows ability (red) and initial popularity (yellow). Ability represents administrative ability and is used in solving issues. The Liberal with the highest popularity is the Liberal Party Leader. The Conservative with the highest popularity is the Conservative party leader. Party leaders are the politicians that run for the presidency. Politicians can gain and lose popularity over time.  Some politicians will have an "M" on their circle, this means they have military ability and can be appointed to certain offices that others cannot. 

The top right has the Era or generation number, "I, II, III," and so on. It also has the state abbreviation. Below this is special abilities, "Add +1 influence per term" or an orator special ability, etc. 

The bottom left circle gives the faction name (Liberal or Conservative) and the Vote Power (number above the gavel), and the number below this is the "age." The lower the number, the older the politician, and the more likely that they will die next. @Actinguy has the three oldest people, so he should make use of his advantage while he still has it. The voting power is used when Congress has to vote. Generally, historical figures that never served in Congress will have low vote power. 

I'll aim to take images of every relevant card as we play. Let's try to RP this (be in character), so prepare to act out the roles of your faction. You can include images of your politician when speaking as well. 

Here are the current factions. I'll let you know when we start: 

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

@vcczar @CalebsParadox @Reagan04 @Hestia11

(Hi guys -- as we're starting today, and I was going to make this first move independent of whatever else might happen, I thought I'd go ahead and post it now so VCCZAR can give us our first issue whenever he is ready, without having to wait for confirmation from me that I'm not doing anything else first.)

976ed975-37cb-443b-91a6-d1a632d4c7d2_1.b82163e198180ba011d789902e3c1dae.jpeg.aa7b800c75724f342ec5db188130e228.jpeg

Letter from President-Elect George Washington to Former President of Pennsylvania, Benjamin Franklin

Dear Sir,

By God's grace, the people's benevolent will, and the dedicated service of the most talented and selfless men our Country has to offer, I now find myself in urgent need of assembling great minds to help this humble servant steer our nation through troubled waters by His hand.  

It is not my right to ask, knowing the excruciating pain under which you labour!  And indeed I would not ask -- if I knew one other mind as great as yours.

With respect, veneration, and the greatest affection -- 

Your sincere friend
Ge. Washington

benjamin-franklin.thumb.jpg.43da6c0b053401421faf01e1b229a247.jpg

Letter from  Former President of Pennsylvania, Benjamin Franklin, to President-Elect George Washington

Dear Sir,

I fear I have little time left on this plane before I am called Home -- 

-- But, whatever time I have left is yours.

I am, as I always was, and always will be,

Your sincere friend,
B. Franklin

George Washington appoints the 83-year-old, gout-stricken Benjamin Franklin as Secretary of State.

(VCCZAR:  I'm ready for the first issue whenever you are.)

To my dear friend President Washington,

It is with the utmost sincerity and joy that congratulate you on ascending to the office of the President. We need a strong, firm hand to assure that the foundation of our fledgling Republic is built with strength and that we may ensure that the central government is able to enact her duties, as I know you will.

You would not forget the mistakes of the pitiful Articles of Confederation as many in our nation, including that insufferable Jefferson, would. 

I will not deceive you as to the intent of this letter. I would be honored to serve as your secretary of the treasury, and look forward to working closely with you on matters of public interest. 

Yours truly, 

Alexander Hamilton

Alexander_Hamilton_portrait_by_John_Trumbull_1806.jpg

A few important images before we begin:

First image: These are the offices in the game at this point. All but the Pres and VP should be appointed. You can wait until a relevant issue requires the appointment, but I think it is more important to appoint these right away. 

2nd image: These are the taxes and bonds that you can pass. America currently has reserves of -15 and no revenue. You can add or repeal one tax per term. 

3rd image: These are the at tariffs. If you pass a tariff, you must start with tariff I. You can add or repeal one tariff per term. 

4th image: Tax modifier and economic crisis table. Added taxes add your own risk. Game can end in the worst economic crisis. 

5th image: Tension track and congressional voting power tracker. Game ends if the tension tack reaches Civil War. 

6th image: Party public support tracker and newspaper funding. 

7th image: Revenue and reserve tracker -- some issues require money to solve. US is at -15. 

8th image: Each faction (player) has a color. Each faction starts with three influence cubes (see my email to you regarding these). Hamilton and Burr generate one influence for personal use per turn. 

9th image: Jefferson is Liberal Party leader. Here he is with his faction's influence. 

10th image: Washington and Adams are elected Pres and VP, respectively. Washington is also Conservative Party Leader. John Adams has Abigail Smith Adams who enhances his ability by +1. 

We will start once I announce the inauguration of Washington. 

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

The New York Liberty Broadside

Editor-in-Chief: Winkle Van Stuyvesant

May 1, 1789

washington-inauguration.jpeg

WASHINGTON INAUGURATED!

Manhattan - Yesterday, 1789 anno domini, found General Washington president of the United States. Congress, elected and assembled, gathered with the general at Wall and Broad in New York. The inauguration oath was inaudible, but the words that the general spoke have been widely circulated. Mr. Adams of Braintree, Massachusetts was earlier sworn in as vice president to preside over the US Senate, the upper house of our federal Congress. Long Live President Washington! 

Cabinet rumors

A reliable source has informed us that Washington has offered the position of Secretary of State to the famous Mr. Benjamin Franklin of Philadelphia. It is unclear whether his advanced age will hinder his performance or not. Another rumor suggests that Mr. Hamilton of our city is actively seeking a position as Secretary of the Treasury. 

Orphan Eats Entire Pig

The case of the missing Broadway pig has been solved after several weeks. The disowned eighth son of the late financier Morris Livingston, named Octavian Livingston, is accused of gobbling up Mr. Abraham de Groots famous pig. Several doctors have diagnosed five-year-old Octavian's condition as Unstoppable Hunger Syndrome, a disease contracted by French immigrants. Doctors have...[continued on page 3]

Manhattan Broadside

Editor-in-Chief Duane Reade

April 15, 1789

Urgency in the Northwest Territory!

President Washington must determine whether or not to deal with the escalating issue in the Northwest against the Indians. A strong general is needed to secure this property for settlement. If we don't expand here, then the European powers may do so. It is known that General Washington has invested in land in this region and is likely to support resolving this issue. 

[Note: The card below is the first issue card. The number on the top left is the difficulty #. That is, ability (or ability + influence) must be used to resolve the issue. The office needed to resolve this issue is below the title "General." A General will need to be appointed (a statesman with an M next to his ability). He will need to have either 4 ability or enough faction influence to help resolve the issue. The popularity # on the top right shows the popularity gain/lose from resolving or failing/ignoring the issue. The president+office holder gains/loses in these issues. Therefore, both Washington and his general will gain 2 popularity if this is resolved. They will both lose 2 popularity if it is failed. The card also instructs that the card goes to the next deck if it is failed or ignored.

We are now in the issues phase, which means the president @Actinguy will respond to this issue. He will appoint offices (see earlier post with images). He will pass a tax and a tariff, if he wants either (a Treasury Sec will need to be appointed). He delegate one issue to the VP if he wishes.]

IMG_3122.jpg

Action Cards:

Generally these are supposed to be secret, but we will have to play without the fog over the action cards for the sake of making this manageable on the forum.

Here are your actions cards, which can be played at any time. You can only have 3 cards in your action hand at any time. 

The first image is @Actinguy's action cards. 

The second image is @CalebsParadox

The third image is @Reagan04 (first time I've ever seen Dolley Todd available for Madison actually)

The fourth image is @Hestia11

You can play these cards whenever, unless the card says otherwise. 

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

11 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Thanks!  This is fine for now, but maybe next time we draw cards it could be a private message to each player?

Can I post images in a PM? I'm not going to type out the cards. I guess I could just write separate emails, but I'm not sure how often everyone checks those.  

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Can I post images in a PM? I'm not going to type out the cards. I guess I could just write separate emails, but I'm not sure how often everyone checks those.  

Ah, fair point.  I haven't tried to PM images, I just assumed it was possible.

Ok, PM does allow images. Sent you all PMs for the use of action cards, but the starting actions cards will be the ones currently shown on the thread. 

@Hestia11

994504998_Washingtonsword.jpg.4c36ddd3f824ecfafefe00798d6a0202.jpg

"General Clinton, please have a seat.  As you are no doubt aware, savages currently attack our northwest frontier.  If we allow this to go unchecked, it is only a matter of time before they cross into our civilized borders.  Worse yet, should we give off an appearance of weakness, it is only a matter of time before we should have to face the likes of England again.  Or Spain.  Or...if they ever stop fighting each other...even France.  We must make a strong show of force in the Northwest frontier.  My men need a strong man to lead them.  Will you accept an appointment as the head General of the Army?  If you accept, I'll let you carry this fancy ceremonial sword."

George Washington offers George Clinton the position of General, on the condition that he agree to defend the Northwest territories from native attacks.  

(Hestia, if you accept, you would need to use your three influence to stop the attacks.  In return, you will receive three popularity -- in addition to being how to win the overall game, popularity will also significantly help Clinton's odds in becoming President one day.  This is a lifetime appointment -- even after Washington is gone, no one can fire you unless they're either a liberal President or they offer the position to someone with higher skill.  You have the option to refuse my offer, if you so choose.)

Dear President Washington,

I humbly accept your proposal and will be going to the frontier shortly. I look forward to serving your administration faithfully.

Sincerely,

General Clinton

The Philadelphia Broadside

Editor-in-Chief: Josiah Yerkes

Sept 6, 1789

Their Land is Our Land! General Clinton secures the Northwest Territory!

General Clinton wins a decisive victory at Fallen Timbers, compelling the united tribes of the area to surrender and agree to terms of our choosing. (continued on page 2)

tecumseh.jpg

[Washington and Clinton get +2 popularity]

Next issue: 

France has undergone Revolution, resulting in a backlash from the various kingdoms of Europe. This issue calls on the President to determine if he wants his Secretary of State to honor our alliance with France or not. Congress will also need to support this. With out reserves at -15, and with no revenue, can we afford it? Liberals demand that we honor the alliance, while Conservatives are now inclined to support Great Britain now that we have secured our Independence. What will President Washington decide? 

IMG_3134.jpg

“If we side with France, we could well find British troops once again on our shore.  Benjamin, tell your friends in Paris to find salvation in the cathedrals, for they shall not find it here.”

Washington ignores.

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

“If we side with France, we could well find British troops once again on our shore.  Benjamin, tell your friends in Paris to find salvation in the cathedrals, for they shall not find it here.”

Washington ignores.

Washington's party now has +2 Public Support, giving his party an advantage among the people. However, Liberal Party leader Thomas Jefferson ( @Reagan04 ) now had 3 influence points for personal use. 

Aaron Burr makes a speech in New York City, NY.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. My friends. I am pleased to speak to you today about the forming of our government. It is critical we go into this first term of President Washington's with an open mind. Our American experiment is beginning, and a new day is on the horizon. No longer are we under the yolk of the British imperialists who plagued our shores for nearly a decade. My dear friends Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson are some of those serving in our government. I believe that they will act honorably and will work to serve our nation faithfully. However, that does not mean we should accept everything with no dissent. No, this nation can only survive with a credible and capable opposition. If necessary, I will provide it."

9 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Aaron Burr makes a speech in New York City, NY.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. My friends. I am pleased to speak to you today about the forming of our government. It is critical we go into this first term of President Washington's with an open mind. Our American experiment is beginning, and a new day is on the horizon. No longer are we under the yolk of the British imperialists who plagued our shores for nearly a decade. My dear friends Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson are some of those serving in our government. I believe that they will act honorably and will work to serve our nation faithfully. However, that does not mean we should accept everything with no dissent. No, this nation can only survive with a credible and capable opposition. If necessary, I will provide it."

Just to clarify: Hestia has played one of his action cards "Give an Important Speech," which nets +1 influence for Aaron Burr. He now has 2 influence points. 

He is if you choose to play him (I’m not aware of any reason not to — so he’ll be one of your statesmen as soon as you say so.)

17 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

Why is Patrick Henry in my hand? Is he one of my statesmen now?

New statesmen appear in the action card deck. You can activate him whenever. There’s no drawback for doing so. 

20 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

I'll happily activate him in that case.

With him activated you now are tied in the lead with voting power in Congress. 

Philadelphia Broadside 

Editor in Chief : Josiah Yerkes

Franklin Confronts Washington on Slavery

Sec. Franklin is rumored to have sought an end to slavery, believing that extinguishing the Southern institution now will prevent future strife. 

[note: This is Washington’s 3rd issue and may require a lot of negotiating with factions and monetary magic if he wishes to act on it. ]

3958A558-A9F1-480F-A53C-028093765260.jpeg