270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Party Leader President Ranking Since FDR

Read the quote under the list that is from from the other thread, unless you read my other thread on this the other day:

1. FDR +91

2. Reagan +57

3. JFK +38

4. GHW Bush -6

5. LBJ -14

6. Eisenhower -24

7. Nixon -30

8. Obama -42

9. Clinton -57

10. Trump -59 (even if presidency ended today, would have to calculate his affect on the 2020 election)

11. Ford -61

12. Truman -63

13. GW Bush -69

14. Carter -81

"I'm in the process of writing a new blog on party leadership. In this I look at how well the party succeeded in elections directly or indirectly involving each of the presidents. That is, Presidential election and reelection margins; gains in US House, Senate, and governorship elections as they entered office, exited offices, and during the two midterms. Each president is given a +/- for each seat gained. For presidential elections, I give +/- for popular vote only, since all the other seats are based on the popular vote, and the pop vote is a better estimation of party support than a contrived electoral college which inflates some votes at the expense of others; thus, a bad system to use for this experiment. "

3. JFK +38

Not sure how you arrived at that number.  1962 had Dems +4 in the Senate, -1 in the House, even in Governors.  1960 had Dems -1 in the Senate, -22 in the House, and +1 Governorship.  Even counting the +7% in the 1960 presidential election he's a net negative.

54 minutes ago, pilight said:

Not sure how you arrived at that number.  1962 had Dems +4 in the Senate, -1 in the House, even in Governors.  1960 had Dems -1 in the Senate, -22 in the House, and +1 Governorship.  Even counting the +7% in the 1960 presidential election he's a net negative.

He gets credit for LBJ’s 1964 #s since LBJ had less than a year of a term before Election Day. I’ll post the whole #s for him when I’m on my CPU. Presidents get points or lose them according to how well their successor did in their first election unless they died or resigned before midterms 

@pilight

JFK +38
Election Margin: 0
Senate Gains: -2
House Gains: -21
Gov. Gains: 0
[Entry total: -23]
Midterm Senate Gains: +4
Midterm House Gains: -4
Midterm Gov Gains: 0
[Mid-term totals: -23-0 = -23]
Successor's Margin: +22