270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Forum Historical Election Poll #6

Forum Historical Election Poll #6  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for if transported back to the 1848 election?

• Whig: Zachary Taylor (LA) & Millard Fillmore (NY)
    • Dem: Lewis Cass (MI) & William O. Butler (KY)
    • Free Soil: Martin Van Buren (NY) & Charles Francis Adams, Sr (MA)
    • Liberty: Gerrit Smith (NY) & Charles C. Foote (MI)
  2. 2. Who would you vote for if transported back to the 1852 election?

• Dem: Franklin Pierce (NH) & William Rufus King (AL)
    • Whig: Winfield Scott (NJ) & Wiliam A. Graham (NC)
    • Free Soil: John P. Hale (NH) & George W. Julian (IN)
    • Union: Daniel Webster (MA) & Charles J. Jenkins (GA)
    • American-Know Nothing: Jacob Broom (PA) & Reynell Coates (NJ)
    • Southern Rights: George Troup (GA) & James A. Quitman (MS)
  3. 3. Who would you vote for if transported back to the 1856 election?

• Dem: James Buchanan (PA) & John C. Breckinridge (KY)
    • Rep: John C. Fremont (CA) & William L. Dayton (NJ)
    • American-Know Nothing: Millard Fillmore (NY) & Andrew Jackson Donelson (TN)

Forum Historical Election 

How would the elections gone if this forum represented the US voters throughout history? Let's find out. 

I do have a rule: Please do not comment on these threads unless you plan to vote. 

Re-Election Forum Presidential History: Presidents and VPs

1a.  George Washington & John Adams, 1789-1793

1b.  George Washington & John Adams 1793-1797

2a.  Thomas Jefferson & John Adams 1797-1801

2b. Thomas Jefferson & John Adams 1801-1805

2c. Thomas Jefferson & George Clinton 1805-1809

3a. James Madison & George Clinton 1809-1813

3b. James Madison & Elbridge Gerry 1813-1817

4a. James Monroe & Daniel D. Tompkins 1817-1821

5a. John Quincy Adams & Richard Rush 1821-1825

6a. Henry Clay & Nathan Sanford 1825-1829

7a. John Quincy Adams & Richard Rush 1829-1833

8a. Henry Clay & John Sergeant 1833-1837

9a. Daniel Webster & Francis Granger 1837-1841

10a. James Birney & Thomas Earle 1841-1845

10b. James Birney & Thomas Morris 1845-1849

@vcczar I'm going to have to chronicle my partisan voting affiliation, I've found myself to be a swing voter in these past few elections; not unlike the tendencies of say a Whig in a Border State like Maryland or Lower North State like Ohio or Pennsylvania.

@Conservative Elector 2 I am eminently curious as to why you are a Buchananbro so to appropriate a popular modern term. Really why you straight-ticketed 3 lackluster Democrats.

We need some votes, especially in 1852. 

6 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

@Conservative Elector 2 I am eminently curious as to why you are a Buchananbro so to appropriate a popular modern term. Really why you straight-ticketed 3 lackluster Democrats.

I try to vote from a neutral perspective. Like if I lived in that year, without knowing what we know today about these politicians. I still guess, that I would have been a conservative back then and therefore a Democrat. It's not that I think Buchanan is great, but if Fremont had done a better job is another question. Perhaps the civil war had  started earlier.....

10 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I try to vote from a neutral perspective. Like if I lived in that year, without knowing what we know today about these politicians. I still guess, that I would have been a conservative back then and therefore a Democrat. It's not that I think Buchanan is great, but if Fremont had done a better job is another question. Perhaps the civil war had  started earlier.....

It’s supposed to be you as of today being transported back then. So you would know about today. 

14 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

@vcczar I'm going to have to chronicle my partisan voting affiliation, I've found myself to be a swing voter in these past few elections; not unlike the tendencies of say a Whig in a Border State like Maryland or Lower North State like Ohio or Pennsylvania.

I'll probably do the same as I have been voting based on who comes closest to my beliefs so no party preference.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

It’s supposed to be you as of today being transported back then. So you would know about today. 

So I voted in every poll from a view point like I would not know, I am sorry about that but anyway I guess my votes would not have been that different. 

I am not sure if voting for Fremont would be a good option in order to keep the nation together. As I stated, I believe this would have led the nation into turmoil a few years earlier . The only thing I believe that could have prevented the civil war is electing Douglas (or maybe Bell) in 1860.

14 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

So I voted in every poll from a view point like I would not know, I am sorry about that but anyway I guess my votes would not have been that different. 

I am not sure if voting for Fremont would be a good option in order to keep the nation together. As I stated, I believe this would have led the nation into turmoil a few years earlier . The only thing I believe that could have prevented the civil war is electing Douglas (or maybe Bell) in 1860.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, was going to prevent the Civil War. It's really an irrelevant point because it was going to happen at some point. It was inevitable. It's also possible that in this scenario the Civil War starts as soon as 20 years early in 1841 with James Birney inaugurated as a strong abolitionist President.

32 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Nothing, and I mean nothing, was going to prevent the Civil War. It's really an irrelevant point because it was going to happen at some point. It was inevitable. It's also possible that in this scenario the Civil War starts as soon as 20 years early in 1841 with James Birney inaugurated as a strong abolitionist President.

At this point, with the results we have so far, it's extremely likely the United States as we know today would not exist, so the Civil War moving up 20 years is absolutely in the realm of possibility.