270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Bush II, Obama, and Trump have all been bad party leaders

I'm in the process of writing a new blog on party leadership. In this I look at how well the party succeeded in elections directly or indirectly involving each of the presidents. That is, Presidential election and reelection margins; gains in US House, Senate, and governorship elections as they entered office, exited offices, and during the two midterms. Each president is given a +/- for each seat gained. For presidential elections, I give +/- for popular vote only, since all the other seats are based on the popular vote, and the pop vote is a better estimation of party support than a contrived electoral college which inflates some votes at the expense of others; thus, a bad system to use for this experiment. 

Bush II, Obama, and Trump are all bad party leaders. That is, they all scored in the negative. 

Obama faired best with -42

Trump is second best, so far, with -59

Bush II is the worst with -69

I'll continue this back to Washington whenever I have time. 

I get how you came ab out it so far, but Trump being considered a better party leader than GWB seems crazy to me. Poor Bush. 

52 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm in the process of writing a new blog on party leadership. In this I look at how well the party succeeded in elections directly or indirectly involving each of the presidents. That is, Presidential election and reelection margins; gains in US House, Senate, and governorship elections as they entered office, exited offices, and during the two midterms. Each president is given a +/- for each seat gained. For presidential elections, I give +/- for popular vote only, since all the other seats are based on the popular vote, and the pop vote is a better estimation of party support than a contrived electoral college which inflates some votes at the expense of others; thus, a bad system to use for this experiment. 

Bush II, Obama, and Trump are all bad party leaders. That is, they all scored in the negative. 

Obama faired best with -42

Trump is second best, so far, with -59

Bush II is the worst with -69

I'll continue this back to Washington whenever I have time. 

44 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I get how you came ab out it so far, but Trump being considered a better party leader than GWB seems crazy to me. Poor Bush. 

Yeah I agree here. Bush had a better relationship with his own party than Trump has.

5 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Yeah I agree here. Bush had a better relationship with his own party than Trump has. 

Doesn't mean all those loyal members of his party survived reelection though, which is how this is being measured.

2 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

Doesn't mean all those loyal members of his party survived reelection though, which is how this is being measured.

That is true and I understand how the score was defined, but at the first sight it seems a bit strange considering Trump's relationship with parts of the GOP.

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

That is true and I understand how the score was defined, but at the first sight it seems a bit strange considering Trump's relationship with parts of the GOP.

His score is going to get worse. Bush had two terms. Trump hasn’t finished his term. 

"Bad Party Leaders" is bad phrasing.  "Worst/Best Coattails" would be more apt here.