270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SirLagsalott

Justin Amash introduces equal ballot access bill

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1105547789721878528

This is great. It remains to be seen whether the Democrats’ focus on electoral reform extends to reforms that will actually be at their expense, though. The bill is very specific and only addresses voting for Senate and Congressional elections as well as outlawing straight-ticket voting, practices that all come at the expense of third parties and particularly independents. This may be him laying the foundation to a defection to the Libertarians. 

Rep. Amash has always been one of my favorites in Congress.  This'll never pass though because the Establishments of both parties don't want to break their monopoly.

I doubt he leaves (unless he runs for President) because I doubt he gets re-elected as a Libertarian.

4 hours ago, HonestAbe said:

He could get re-elected in his current district as a Lib, but after the redistricting who knows.  

Things are so party based these days which would make it hard for even an incumbent to win re-election as something other than a Republican or Democrat.  Plus, the Trump loyalists would accuse him of being a RINO and take him out if they had a chance.