270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CalebsParadox

Beto's Media Problem

Has anyone else noticed just how much negative press coverage that Beto has gotten since he began exploring a campaign for presidency? It has honestly been astounding to see the way that the first 2020 candidate to receive a negative news blitz was an undeclared former favorite of the media. If I had to guess, the liberal slant of the media sees his non progressive record and his widespread appeal and has decided that it may be best to put his chances down. The only other candidate who I have seen receive a serious challenge to in the media is the other moderate - and also undeclared - candidate, Joe Biden.

The things that these news articles focus on just don't make any sense. He comes from a wealthy family, like a majority of the field. He attended an Ivy league university...  like a majority of the field. He has little accomplishments during his 6 years in the House... which is still more than that of media darling Kamela Harris and others in the field. As much as I tend to lean to the left, it seems like a political hit job is occurring. 

@vcczar @Reagan04 @SeanFKennedy @Conservative Elector 2 @jvikings1

If anything, the media spent months ridiculously fawning over O'Rourke and a lot of them seem to be correcting course by looking at him in a new way. Regardless of whether or not you like him, truly, why is he running for president? Sure he brings perceived charisma to the most generic ideas of the Democratic Party, but nothing really sets him apart aside from... losing to Ted Cruz. Even his website contains no information on issues or plans, just places to donate and buy merchandise.

7 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

If anything, the media spent months ridiculously fawning over O'Rourke and a lot of them seem to be correcting course by looking at him in a new way. Regardless of whether or not you like him, truly, why is he running for president? Sure he brings perceived charisma to the most generic ideas of the Democratic Party, but nothing really sets him apart aside from... losing to Ted Cruz. Even his website contains no information on issues or plans, just places to donate and buy merchandise.

This is an issue that most of the candidates have in this stage of the primaries. 

Gillibrand: #MeToo maybe? Who knows.
Harris: No clue. 
Booker: No clue.
Biden: Bipartisanship/beat Trump
Hickenlooper: Same as Biden

The only candidates with true reasons for running as of right now are Warren and Sanders. Non ideological haven't had a chance to distinguish themselves from the pack yet. I see a strong opening for a charismatic negotiator in Congress. 

The media fawned over O'Rourke for sure, I never debated that. However, this level of negativity surrounding his campaign is not founded given that Booker, Biden, and Harris all have aspects of their record that are worse. I'm not saying that he deserves no scrutiny, but it seems like it's a coordinated attack against a non progressive candidate. 

The only attacks I've seen on Beto typically are about his DUI incident and how 'weird' he can be at times. Fox News especially is propping up how 'weird' he was before has elected to the house. 

I personally think it's because he's seen as a pretty electric candidate who isn't left entirely left enough for some Dems, and the reason the right is going after him is basically for the same reason, they are nervous about his chances.  

2 hours ago, SilentLiberty said:

The only attacks I've seen on Beto typically are about his DUI incident and how 'weird' he can be at times. Fox News especially is propping up how 'weird' he was before has elected to the house. 

I personally think it's because he's seen as a pretty electric candidate who isn't left entirely left enough for some Dems, and the reason the right is going after him is basically for the same reason, they are nervous about his chances.  

I feel he is appropriate heir to Obama- in having a center left American style liberal message that is built on the candidate's charm and positive messaging. This isn't a swipe at Beto, but a weird compliment-since he did the impossible and made Texas competitive state while running against a former Presidential candidate.  That said, what's his route to Milwaukee(the convention)?

4 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

I agree the media is course-correcting, but a lot of the anti-Beto sentiment isn't entirely new. People supported him and wanted to see him win, and the video of him talking about football players kneeling drew people to him. But then he lost and was immediately shot up to presidential frontrunner status, even though he was flawed (and lost,) which is so indicative of his privileged identities which will play hard against him in leftist and IDpol circles. For comparison's sake, Kyrsten Sinema won and didn't get any presidential buzz. (Stacey Abrams is getting some now, but it wasn't anywhere close to as fast for Beto.) So I think the main narrative is catching up to that.

3 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

This is an issue that most of the candidates have in this stage of the primaries. 

Gillibrand: #MeToo maybe? Who knows.
Harris: No clue. 
Booker: No clue.
Biden: Bipartisanship/beat Trump
Hickenlooper: Same as Biden

The only candidates with true reasons for running as of right now are Warren and Sanders. Non ideological haven't had a chance to distinguish themselves from the pack yet. I see a strong opening for a charismatic negotiator in Congress. 

The media fawned over O'Rourke for sure, I never debated that. However, this level of negativity surrounding his campaign is not founded given that Booker, Biden, and Harris all have aspects of their record that are worse. I'm not saying that he deserves no scrutiny, but it seems like it's a coordinated attack against a non progressive candidate. 

I think the idea that someone needs a singular issue focus like people are trying to demand of Beto is silly-- the president should be well-rounded IMHO and at very least able to empower experts in specific fields to do the specific work. That's why I don't care about Inslee- a single issue campaign just doesn't fly when it's the presidency.

I'd say Gillibrand's focus is on feminism and feminist/women's power - based approaches to a multitude of issues, and then viewing all issues through the lens of gender equality/equity. She was also early on supporting the Green New Deal. 
Booker is trying the Jimmy Carter approach of love and healing, to some mixed reviews.

I'd say Bernie's ideology is leading him but it's the same as in 2016. I get why he's running, but not in a field where others have adapted to have his positions. He as a candidate to be president is no more impressive than anyone else when you get down into the job requirements, and I don't see him moving the needle like he did in 2016.

Warren seems to be the only one running for the job at hand, having a mix of policy focuses in her proposals. Gonna be interesting.

For both Beto and Biden, about 80% of the media criticism has been of their "maybe I'm running, maybe I'm not" stance.  I suspect media is irritated that these potential top news makers have not been actually making any news yet.  So there's a bunch of "Why haven't they declared yet?  Are they too incompetent to do so?" stories to push them in.  

Warren’s recent embrace of reparations and proposal for breaking up tech companies feel like attempts to bring back her campaign if anything. It really felt like she was stagnating - as other more progressive candidates sprouted up, she kind of faded back into the background, at least from what I’ve been seeing and reading. 

also he isnt running against ted cruz NOR in a primary with the best oppeont being some Shitty basketball coach ted cruz made he race close he got no major things done in congress i mean really what was the best he did rename a post office? how ishis support all i see him do is just say generic democrat talking point.