270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Forum Historical Election Poll #1

Forum Historical Election Poll #1  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for if transported back to the 1788/89 election? [Select ONLY TWO or your vote will not count]

• George Washington - Ind. Fed. - VA
    • John Adams - Fed - MA
    • John Jay - Fed - NY
    • Robert H. Harrison - Fed - MD
    • John Rutledge - FED - SC
    • John Hancock - FED - MA
    • George Clinton - Anti-Fed - NY
    • Samuel Huntington - FED - CT
    • John Milton - FED - GA
    • James Armstrong - Fed - GA
    • Benjamin Lincoln - Fed - MA
    • Edward Telfair - Anti-Fed - GA
  2. 2. Who would you vote for if transported back to the 1792 Election? [Select ONLY TWO or your vote will not count]

• George Washington - Ind. Fed. - VA
    • John Adams - Fed - MA
    • George Clinton - Dem-Rep - NY
    • Thomas Jefferson - Dem-Rep - VA
    • Aaron Burr - Dem-Rep - NY
  3. 3. Who would you vote for if transported back to the 1796 election? [Select ONLY TWO or your vote will not count]

• John Adams - Fed - MA
    • Thomas Jefferson - Dem-Rep - VA
    • Thomas Pinckney - Fed - SC
    • Aaron Burr - Dem-Rep - NY
    • Samuel Adams - Dem-Rep - MA
    • Oliver Ellsworth - Fed - CT
    • George Clinton - Dem-Rep - NY
    • John Jay - Fed - NY
    • James Iredell - Fed - NC
    • George Washington - Ind. Fed - VA
    • John Henry - Fed - MD
    • Samuel Johnstone - Fed - NC
    • Charles Coatesworth Pinckney - Fed - SC

Forum Historical Election 

How would the elections gone if this forum represented the US voters throughout history? Let's find out. 

For the first elections, each forum user gets two (and only two) votes per election, as per under the old rules for electors. Anyone who doesn't vote exactly twice on each election will have their vote cancelled. First place will become President and Second place will become Vice President. 

For the early elections, I include only those that received electoral votes. Starting with the Jackson Era, I will include the major and minor parties that are significant enough that Wikipedia included them in their General Election tally. 

For the sake of simplicity, elections will be by popular vote and not electoral college. Each forum member equals 1 vote. 

I will post the results of previous polls for each new poll. 

I do have a rule: Please do not comment on these threads unless you plan to vote. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

How would the elections gone if this forum represented the US voters throughout history? Let's find out. 

For the first elections, each forum user gets two (and only two) votes per election, as per under the old rules for electors. Anyone who doesn't vote exactly twice on each election will have their vote cancelled. First place will become President and Second place will become Vice President. 

For the early elections, I include only those that received electoral votes. Starting with the Jackson Era, I will include the major and minor parties that are significant enough that Wikipedia included them in their General Election tally. 

For the sake of simplicity, elections will be by popular vote and not electoral college. Each forum member equals 1 vote. 

I do have a rule: Please do not comment on these threads unless you plan to vote. 

Note, if Benjamin Franklin had run in 1788/1789, I might have well voted for him, despite being declared a nominal Anti-Federalist (but only by external declaration, like Washington being declared a Federalist - as I recall, neither viewed themselves by any party label, and both were wary of the precedent of party politics that was already quite apparent in the British Parliament and the Dutch States-General even in their own day-and-age), and even though Franklin would historically croak about two years after being elected.

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

Note, if Benjamin Franklin had run in 1788/1789, I might have well voted for him, despite being declared a nominal Anti-Federalist (but only by external declaration, like Washington being declared a Federalist - as I recall, neither viewed themselves by any party label, and both were wary of the precedent of party politics that was already quite apparent in the British Parliament and the Dutch States-General even in their own day-and-age), and even though Franklin would historically croak about two years after being elected.

I would have voted for Franklin also. I view Franklin as a Federalist. He was definitely in favor of the US Constitution without much skepticism, which was the main dividing point. Jefferson and the other were either opposed to it or very wary by it, even while accepting it. I can't think of any argument for Franklin not being a Federalist. He even hoped to get Washington to abolish slavery via the central government. 

We have a tie in the 3rd election. Maybe someone will break it. Otherwise, I'll roll a die. 

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

I remember doing this some time ago.

13 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I remember doing this some time ago.

I did something like this a few years ago. 

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

I did something like this a few years ago. 

I am really happy to see this again. It was great to see how users voted.