270soft Forum
SeanFKennedy

Trusted News Sources

Trusted News Sources  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following news shows do you watch and trust?

• The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC)
    • Cuomo (CNN)
    • Hannity (Fox News)
    • RT America
    • The Young Turks
    • The Ben Shapiro Show
    • Secular Talk
    • The Jimmy Dore Show
    • InfoWars with Alex Jones
    • Late Show with Stephen Colbert
    • Real Time with Bill Maher
    • Louder with Crowder
    • Tucker Carlson Tonight (Fox News)
    • Other

Ready to see interesting results 

I have two points:

1. This is Sam Seeder erasure, and I won't stand for it.

2. I try to steer clear of news sources run for profit, which means almost all of them, I simply can't trust any corporation spending millions of dollars to convince me they're "fair and balanced". Noam Chomsky's 'Manufacturing Consent' opened my eyes to how the media really works, "If the system functions well, it ought to have a liberal bias. Or at least appear to."

This was a really interesting list because a lot of big time programs were left off, perhaps intentionally?

Since you specified 'watch and trust' it makes it more difficult, for instance I'll watch CNN and Fox News interchangeably if I have some free time, but I don't trust Sean Hannity at all, nor Don Lemon, the same could be said about a lot of the 'analysts' and contributors the major networks have.

A lot of them operate on the basis of profit and making you 'feel' rather than 'think' which is also a big turn off when it comes to trust. 

3 hours ago, SeanFKennedy said:

Ready to see interesting results 

CBC Newsworld, BBC Newsworld, Global News, Southam News (the owner of the Edmonton Journal), Al-Jazeera, Reuters, and the Huffingpost Post (most of those count as "other" on your polls, because EVERY SINGLE ONE you have listed is an American outlet.

I'd argue none of these shows are "news" shows, they are just talk shows, and most aren't very good even in that realm.

The "news" seems to only occur around 6pm on network stations now

19 minutes ago, Patine said:

CBC Newsworld, BBC Newsworld, Global News, Southam News (the owner of the Edmonton Journal), Al-Jazeera, Reuters, and the Huffingpost Post (most of those count as "other" on your polls, because EVERY SINGLE ONE you have listed is an American outlet.

Patine's list here is a 1,000 times better for news, than any show in this poll. 

It's kind of amazing how little qualification is required to host a news show.  The popularity of that collection of disc jockeys, house painters, stand up comics, and performance artists is an affront to journalism.

14 minutes ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

I believe every "show" listed is more biased than the other shows that were left off (referring to the major news channels)

Except maybe Xinhua, the Korean State News Agency, Pravda, Stormfront, that major "Black Power" news outlet, that far-right-wing Israeli news outlet, that Hezb-e-Tahrir mouthpiece outlet, and the Iranian propaganda mill news outlet, Breitbart, and Noam Chomsky and David Icke's followers' sites, but, for the most part - yes, very few other options are more overtly biased and distorted.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, WVProgressive said:

I try to steer clear of news sources run for profit, which means almost all of them, I simply can't trust any corporation spending millions of dollars to convince me they're "fair and balanced". Noam Chomsky's 'Manufacturing Consent' opened my eyes to how the media really works, "If the system functions well, it ought to have a liberal bias. Or at least appear to."

Yeah because state-run media is so unbiased. See China and Russia for example.

nb4 BBC. It isn't owned by the British government.

I keep CNN on in my office all day, but with the sound off.  I'm not interested in the talking heads, I just like being able to glance at the TV and see the headline of the moment on their bottom screen ticker.

I don't actually watch TV news at all, other than on election nights.  

I don't trust any news sources. It's better to know the bias of the news sources and take their views with certain grains of salt. Generally any nation's media will have positive bias towards itself and negative bias towards rival countries. So to get the most neutral PoV it's important to read from sources with conflicting bias.  US news sources are far too unreliable however so I tend to rely on a combination of UK and Russian news sources for news on the US (one is pro and the other is con).

I tend to read:

The Guardian. Southern China Morning Post (HK), Channel News Asia (Singapore), Russia Today. The Diplomat.
The Guardian has a liberal bent but it's reasonably good at covering US news without the overwhelming pro-US bias that's far too prevalent in domestic US media. It's also more trustworthy than BBC in my opinion which tries to present itself as neutral but has biases all the same. At least The Guardian doesn't hide the bias.
Russia Today tends to cover things the US media won't cover (but it's reliability is really low)
SCMP and CNA are fairly neutral in coverage of international news but they don't have much of it.
The Diplomat is the most neutral foreign policy site I've found since it tends to include contributors with different narratives. Foreign Policy and National Review are too warmongering establishment for me.