270soft Forum
nina96

Questions about President Infinity

I just bought President Infinity and I'm having lots of fun so far. I do have some questions about game mechanics though and I couldn't find a tutorial or something that really helped me for them, so I thought I'd ask them here.

1. What exactly do organization and footsoldiers do? It seems they give you some kind of GOTV power that is also tied to momentum, but I don't quite get what that means.

2. I'm currently in the primary stage and each week, some states behave weirdly -usually some of Wyoming, Nevada, North Dakota and Maine. In those states, 3 candidates are shown to win exactly 33% each, which is completely out of line with their performance in other states, and on the bottom it seems like another canditate who dropped out of the race gets 1 delegate, while everyone else (including those that have 33%) get none. Is this a bug or some feature I don't understand?

3. When I want to barnstorm in a state, I check on platform beforehand to see for which issues I get a bonus. Behind the issue name on the platform screen, there are tow numbers - one outside of brackets and one in brackets. The tooltip makes it seem like the first number is a bonus for my position being close to the one of the state, but what does the second number mean?

4. What exactly does momentum do? Does it increase my polling numbers directly or does it increase my favourability? On that topic, I assume there are some virtual voters in each state and each votes vor the candidate that has the highest favourability with that voter?

5. Why would I ever make a radio ad over a newspaper one? To me it seems like the former always has the same power, but is more expensive.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me find answers to the questions, so far I'm really enjoying the game but sometimes it feels like I'm just doing stuff without really understanding what I'm doing.

3 minutes ago, nina96 said:

5. Why would I ever make a radio ad over a newspaper one? To me it seems like the former always has the same power, but is more expensive.

If I'm not mistaken, radio ads have an attack bonus, which newspaper ads (and possible web ads too but I never use those) don't have.

5 minutes ago, nina96 said:

4. What exactly does momentum do? Does it increase my polling numbers directly or does it increase my favourability?

Yes momentum is used to determine the change in poll numbers when the next poll is released. I think favorability affects how effective momentum is.

6 minutes ago, nina96 said:

3. When I want to barnstorm in a state, I check on platform beforehand to see for which issues I get a bonus. Behind the issue name on the platform screen, there are tow numbers - one outside of brackets and one in brackets. The tooltip makes it seem like the first number is a bonus for my position being close to the one of the state, but what does the second number mean?

The number in the brackets is the bonus you get when you barnstorm using that issue in that parties primary.

14 minutes ago, nina96 said:

2. I'm currently in the primary stage and each week, some states behave weirdly -usually some of Wyoming, Nevada, North Dakota and Maine. In those states, 3 candidates are shown to win exactly 33% each, which is completely out of line with their performance in other states, and on the bottom it seems like another canditate who dropped out of the race gets 1 delegate, while everyone else (including those that have 33%) get none. Is this a bug or some feature I don't understand?

Yes that's a bug, I think @admin_270 is working on it.

15 minutes ago, nina96 said:

1. What exactly do organization and footsoldiers do? It seems they give you some kind of GOTV power that is also tied to momentum, but I don't quite get what that means.

I'm actually  not sure what foot soldiers do, but I know organizational strength gives a bonus to barnstorming and foot soldiers.

I hope this answered some of your questions :).

Thanks a lot for those answers, they definitively help a lot! The only thing that still doesn't make a lot of sense to me is the whole organization/foot soldier thing - I actually didn't even discover that does exist until a few months into my primary campaign and have been doing fairly well (I think) without them. I'm playing with Klobuchar in 2016, started in July 2015. It is November now and I am at 20% nationally while leading in Ioawa, South Carolina and a few Super Tuesday states. All I did was barnstorming/rallying/ads, though I also got quite a lot of momentum from news stories and spinning them, and endorsements also gave me quite a bit of momentum. I haven't created any offices or foot soldiers at all, while my opponents have, and so far it didn't seem to hurt me at all.

3 hours ago, nina96 said:

I've actually noticed that happen every time in Nevada too.  I usually play with a ton of candidates on, and randomly throughout the primary season, every candidate will suddenly have an exactly even 11% split.  Tagging @admin_270 with the possible bug.

1 hour ago, nina96 said:

Thanks a lot for those answers, they definitively help a lot! The only thing that still doesn't make a lot of sense to me is the whole organization/foot soldier thing - I actually didn't even discover that does exist until a few months into my primary campaign and have been doing fairly well (I think) without them. I'm playing with Klobuchar in 2016, started in July 2015. It is November now and I am at 20% nationally while leading in Ioawa, South Carolina and a few Super Tuesday states. All I did was barnstorming/rallying/ads, though I also got quite a lot of momentum from news stories and spinning them, and endorsements also gave me quite a bit of momentum. I haven't created any offices or foot soldiers at all, while my opponents have, and so far it didn't seem to hurt me at all.

It's been a long time since I've played the game in the traditional way -- I usually play hands off and just watch the election play out.

But I "think"...at least a long time ago...that barnstorming boosted your footsoldiers in some manner.

2 hours ago, nina96 said:

To be quite honest, I have been playing PI for at least a few months now (despite being new in the forum) and I'm still not entirely sure what footsoldiers do either...

I do use them when I have enough stamina and they do seems to improve the performance in the state by somewhat, yet I'm still not sure what they do.

As for recommendations - barnstorming/rallying/ads is the way to go, but especially early on, I personally focus on getting endorsements in order to get ground, momentum, and when you recruit them as surrogates (the flag button), barnstorming/fundraising/spinning bonuses. Some also have a barnstorming bonus in a specific state (I'll touch that subject later on).

Some of the endorsers are national/general and some are more states-oriented. For general ones you need to click on the endorsement button (the button with the thumb up) while not selecting a specific state and for a endorser related to a specific state, you need to click on the state end then of the button. You can also switch from national/general (United States) endorsers to a specific states' endorsers (such as Iowa for instance) if you click on the bar below the endorser's details box and above the list of endorsers, although I find that extremely tedious (did I mention that I am lazy? XP).

General endorsers are high profile candidates/major media outlets and are mostly ex-presidents, important senators (such as Bernie Sanders, although, now that he's running for president he needs to be disabled in order to be an endorser), leaders of senate/house, wealthy tycoons (if you win their endorsement, a lot of money will be added to your campaign (just like in real life where they buy politicians 🙄, but don't mind me and my eye rolls), newspapers, radios, and more. As I said before, they can give you many bonuses, which I'll specify later on.

States-oriented ones are usually senators and governors of a state, and sometimes also local, smaller media outlets (I think Iowa has a register). When I want to barnstorm in a specific state while my candidate is barnstorming elsewhere or alternatively, strengthen my barnstorming in a particular state while  barnstorming there, I like to use state-oriented endorsers.(I like to play good-cop, bad-cop. While my surrogate (the recruited endorser) trashes another candidate, I like my candidate to say that his/her is the best or vice-versa. ;) Why do I use a surrogate this way? Because it seems to me a way to make more undecided voters, and immediately snatch them, in case I have a high enough momentum..) Sometimes some general endorsers also have a barnstorming bonus in a particular state, but not always, and sometimes, you can't find a general endorser that has a barnstorming bonus for the state you wish to target. So, how do you know if an endorser has a barnstorming bonus in a specific country? As far as I know, you need to check the surrogate details (the orange "i" button) when recruiting the surrogate.

The endorser's details box, is the box above the list of candidates and the tabs. When you click on the endorser, it gives you details about him.

On the top row, you see his name and right next to it, who is s/he leaning towards. "open" is when s/he doesn't lean to any candidate, "leaning (+1)" is when s/he leans to a specific candidate and "decided (+2)" is when s/he leans to a specific candidate very much. (the "+" sign is how many "points" (how do I call these if not "points"? XP) the candidate will get each passing day (I'll explain the "points" part soon).

On the second row (the one below the top one) you will see either "preferred platform" or "preferred position", depends if the endorser either prefers a candidate who is generally (based out his combined positions on all issues on his platform) "Left", "Right", "Centre", "Centre-Right", ect. or mainly prefer a candidate based on his position on only one issue (an example is Scheldon Adelson which only cares about tax rates, I wonder why 🙄(rolling my eyes once more) or the NRA which only cares about gun control issue). Thus - "preferred platform" - sums up the positions on all of the issues together. "preferred position" - a position on only one issue. Also, if the endorser is grey in the list (which means s/he isn't ready to endorse before a specific date), it will be indicate in this row, when will s/he will open to be influenced into endorsement.

On the third row (the one above the candidate's pictures and "points") shows you what do you get out of the endorsement. It could be Money ($ sum of money) and/or Momentum (+precentage estimate (est.)), and/or Ground Operations (percentage bonus) (operations is shortened as "Ops."), which gives you bonus to ground operations such as barnstorming and fundraising, and/or Surrogate (name of surrogate).

On the last row, you see candidates and the "score/points" they have. The scale "score" goes up to 100, and when it reaches 100 (or above if you use PIPs), the endorser endorses the candidate which swayed him/her. In addition, the percentage between the candidates' pictures to the bar of position shows how much the candidate differs from the endorser's preferred position/platform. 

And what are the PIPs and CPs buttons? These are buttons where you "invest" either stamina (CP) in order to sway the endorser or PIPs, which do not require stamina but are for ONE TIME USE. So if you can, always prefer investing CPs, in my opinion.

As for the list, the list helps you sort the candidates. The more stars they have - the higher profile they are. You can also see their names (of course), how much are you ranked by their "score", and how much you differ from their platform.

I tried to make it as organised as I can.. And I hope it helps you to get familiar with the endorsements' system a little bit more :P

Of course, there are many more systems you can use such as insight/scandals and the spying systems.. But I think that out of the mentioned systems, understanding the endorsement system helps, at least initially, more..

Wow, thanks for that long answer about endorsements, I didn't really have a look into them before but they seem quite helpful. The only weird thing about them is that it looks like everyone is ready to endorse me if I put some points into them - I have 95 with almost all Democratic Senators and Governors, but also with a lot of Republicans even though they do not prefer my policy positions. I don't know if it was useful if I let Republicans endorse me, especially in the primaries, that seems to send the wrong message to my (potential) supporters. Also, after reading the help file, I think I finally understood what the GOTV thing means - it helps you win over all the people that arestill undecided on election day. I still don't think it is necessary though - my campaign is in May now and ever since Super Tuesday, I've had a national momentum of +12 since thenewsstory about me winning most states on Super Tuesday gave me lots and lots of momentum, made me win some more states, which in turn gave me even more momentum...

Wow, thanks for that long answer about endorsements, I didn't really have a look into them before but they seem quite helpful. The only weird thing about them is that it looks like everyone is ready to endorse me if I put some points into them - I have 95 with almost all Democratic Senators and Governors, but also with a lot of Republicans even though they do not prefer my policy positions. I don't know if it was useful if I let Republicans endorse me, especially in the primaries, that seems to send the wrong message to my (potential) supporters. Also, after reading the help file, I think I finally understood what the GOTV thing means - it helps you win over all the people that arestill undecided on election day. I still don't think it is necessary though - my campaign is in May now and ever since Super Tuesday, I've had a national momentum of +12 since thenewsstory about me winning most states on Super Tuesday gave me lots and lots of momentum, made me win some more states, which in turn gave me even more momentum...

It's a good sign. It means that you are highly favourable and have high momentum. Endorsers are also swayed by momentum of candidates. As for Opposite party endorsers, it does indeed happen when you have high momentum with a very unfavourable opponent (such as Donald Trump. Once I was able to get Republican endorsements as BERNIE SANDERS, which is an extremely unlikely outcome in our reality since he is a progressive... I don't think it's a bug, but I do think the game overestimates the endorsers' sway by momentum. Perhaps if endorsers choose on a scale from 0 to 300 instead of 0 to 100, it would be more realistic..). I admit that I didn't try to use them as Bernie Sanders (although it's a game, I try to face it somewhat realistically), but I think that if it helps, it probably helps more on the national stage, after the primaries.

Wow, someone from Germany. I believe you are able to speak German as well :P That is pretty awesome considering that I am from Austria.

Oh yes, I do speak German as well! I don't think there is a game like this for German or Austrian politics, so we have to be thankful that at least there is this game for the USA.

6 minutes ago, nina96 said:

Oh yes, I do speak German as well! I don't think there is a game like this for German or Austrian politics, so we have to be thankful that at least there is this game for the USA.

There is a German election sim made by the same developer but it's old and unmaintained. https://270soft.com/world-election-games/german-election-game/

34 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

There is a German election sim made by the same developer but it's old and unmaintained. https://270soft.com/world-election-games/german-election-game/

Yes, and I highly recommend it @nina96 and plan many fan-made scenarios of my design for it (and not just German, although those are certainly planned, but a lot of other countries, since the great majority of modern contested, free-and-fair legislative election use the MMP, PR, and STV electoral systems, as opposed to a minority that use the FPTP system).

Oh, I have to check that one out when I'm done with my US campaign then! Though at first glance, it looks very old and I don't know how well the game system would translate toGermany - not just because we don't use first past the post, but there is also less focus on one candidate and more on the party - so there wouldn't be one person holding rallies all over the country (at least not to the same extent), instead all the local representatives and party people would hold local rallies. Also if you wanted to simulate the MMP system with all its intricacies correctly, you would have to simulate every county, not just every state.

41 minutes ago, nina96 said:

Oh, I have to check that one out when I'm done with my US campaign then! Though at first glance, it looks very old and I don't know how well the game system would translate toGermany - not just because we don't use first past the post, but there is also less focus on one candidate and more on the party - so there wouldn't be one person holding rallies all over the country (at least not to the same extent), instead all the local representatives and party people would hold local rallies. Also if you wanted to simulate the MMP system with all its intricacies correctly, you would have to simulate every county, not just every state.

Oh, the election scenarios I have in mind for K4E are not about doing U.S. elections turned to an MMP electoral system, or even those of Commonwealth nations with a Westminster system (as wistful as that may be), but actual fan-made scenarios of my own making for nations that do use MMP, or similar systems, already, like most of Continental Europe, Israel, 1994+ South Africa, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, the Philippines, a surprising number of Latin American nations, among several others.

On 2/24/2019 at 9:15 PM, nina96 said:

Definitely, but personally I am interested in US politics even a bit more than in European politics, so I am very happy with this game (and forum).

4 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Definitely, but personally I am interested in US politics even a bit more than in European politics, so I am very happy with this game (and forum).

I personally far prefer most European politics to U.S. politics. In fact, I've come to view the U.S. political setup as one of the least interesting political schemes and dynamics in the First World. For instance, I'm already bone sick of the 2020 Election, even though it's a few months short of two years away, because there's very few interesting and dynamic possibilities and turns to it, all-in-all.

57 minutes ago, Patine said:

I personally far prefer most European politics to U.S. politics. In fact, I've come to view the U.S. political setup as one of the least interesting political schemes and dynamics in the First World. For instance, I'm already bone sick of the 2020 Election, even though it's a few months short of two years away, because there's very few interesting and dynamic possibilities and turns to it, all-in-all.

I know and I understand all the concerns when it comes to the idea about using the US system in Europe. I am often unsure if I liked that to be honest. However, my opinion is the US system is more logical than most European ones. European political system have other advantages and so it is very difficult to say which advantages are the better ones.

4 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I know and I understand all the concerns when it comes to the idea about using the US system in Europe. I am often unsure if I liked that to be honest. However, my opinion is the US system is more logical than most European ones. European political system have other advantages and so it is very difficult to say which advantages are the better ones.

I don't see the U.S. system as more logical at all. It's a rigged, corrupted, complacent, failed, broken duopoly that was artificially and institutionally edged out all viable alternatives, taken away true political choice from the voters, and stolen election after election. Explain the logic there?

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't see the U.S. system as more logical at all. It's a rigged, corrupted, complacent, failed, broken duopoly that was artificially and institutionally edged out all viable alternatives, taken away true political choice from the voters, and stolen election after election. Explain the logic there?

You have got 2 senators from each state. Each state is divided in congressional house districts and the same goes for the respective state senates and houses. Everyone is clearly elected instead of what we have in Austria. You elect a party list here and the people cannot really decide who gets a spot there. Each state has a governor which is also clearly elected and first and foremost in Europe you do not have any primaries most of the time. Some states even have judicial elections. In Austria you do not have any. These are some spontaneous advantages I see in the US system.

35 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

You have got 2 senators from each state. Each state is divided in congressional house districts and the same goes for the respective state senates and houses. Everyone is clearly elected instead of what we have in Austria. You elect a party list here and the people cannot really decide who gets a spot there. Each state has a governor which is also clearly elected and first and foremost in Europe you do not have any primaries most of the time. Some states even have judicial elections. In Austria you do not have any. These are some spontaneous advantages I see in the US system.

Equal representation by first-tier administrative subdivision in an upper chamber and a pure FPTP system in a lower chamber (with each said first-tier administrative subdivision's governments deciding the apportionment of their electoral districts themselves), mixed with only two viable parties, with the primary "bottleneck" only compounding, not correcting, the otherwise issue of a lack of real choice, and elected judges (and, even worse, electing local law-enforcement chiefs) are NOT advantages in my firm opinion - they're major parts of the problems with the American system as a whole, along with the anachronistic and outmoded Electoral College and the ineffectual division between national and first-tier administrative subdivision powers that more often blocks up any real good or improvement, especially needed improvement, being made by government than it promotes any true good.

29 minutes ago, Patine said:

pure FPTP system in a lower chamber

That is just working out much of the time because there are only two viable parties. In Great Britain I do not find the system as much appealing and in Austria a FPTP system would be a catastrophe I guess.

30 minutes ago, Patine said:

(with each said first-tier administrative subdivision's governments deciding the apportionment of their electoral districts themselves)

That is truly not the best part of the US system, but I do not even know the corresponding boundaries (or boundary makers) in Austria for sure. I guess, I have to find out next. Finding your very own representative is not easy as well. You are electing a party list instead of a single candidate. That's one point I dislike about the Austrian system. You do not identify yourself with any representative. Everyone seems to represent the whole state or the nation when it comes to an election. No one says for example "I'll work for you here in Neubau (a district of Vienna)."

32 minutes ago, Patine said:

with the primary "bottleneck" only compounding, not correcting, the otherwise issue of a lack of real choice

Well, I think having a primary election is way more transparent instead of getting a party leader who is supported only by the party establishment.

33 minutes ago, Patine said:

elected judges (and, even worse, electing local law-enforcement chiefs)

I think that is pretty good, I am sorry. How can it be any better to not know most of the people caring out those duties and at the same time have not a single way to have a say in their appointment? That's what I call an intransparent political system. Elections are probably the most effective way to prevent nepotism and cronyism.

Having a state supreme courts would be interesting as well. The Austrian system seems to lack any hierarchy, but unfortunately I am no expert on that. 

37 minutes ago, Patine said:

anachronistic and outmoded Electoral College

I do not promote the EC for other countries, but I would not change it in the US. It served it's purpose for many years.

In my country you are electing a president in a costly election, who only has limited powers and is a ceremonial head of state (an emperor would at least appeal to tourists in a more effective way). I cannot complain about the US here.

39 minutes ago, Patine said:

ineffectual division between national and first-tier administrative subdivision powers that more often blocks up any real good or improvement, especially needed improvement, being made by government than it promotes any true good.

I do not have the insight to comment on this in a proper way, but I propose giving more powers to the states instead of the national level. This would reduce the turmoil tremendously.

I tried my best to answer your concerns and making my opinion more clear. I hope you are ok with splitting your message for a better opportunity to answer each point individually. 

2 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

Off topic but @Conservative Elector 2 could you open your inbox a little?

I can try my best because I do not like to delete messages but I will have a look on that.

Edit: Done.

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to put this because I couldn't find a place, but I was wondering if there was anyway someone could make PI games for the next election if the losing candidate had won (ex. President Romney running for re-election in 2016, McCain in 2012, Dole in 2000, etc.) because I had tried to alter one where Mitt Romney's running for re-election in 2016 and I must have done something wrong with his attributes because in a general election matchup, he basically sweeps the entire US. Any advice? And again, sorry if this isn't the right place to put this.