270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jnewt

Democratic Primary Poll (February 2018)

2020 Democratic Primary  

26 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. If the 2020 Democratic primaries were held today, which candidate would you vote for?

• Kamala Harris
    • Joe Biden
    • Beto O'Rourke
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Cory Booker
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • Julian Castro
    • Kirsten Gillibrand
    • Sherrod Brown
    • Undecided/not listed
    • I would not vote in the Democratic Primary
  2. 2. Which of the following Democratic candidates are you considering voting for in the Democratic Primary?

• Kamala Harris
    • Joe Biden
    • Beto O'Rourke
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Cory Booker
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • Julian Castro
    • Kirsten Gillibrand
    • Sherrod Brown
    • I'm not considering voting for any of these candidates, but I am considering voting for a different Democratic candidate not listed
    • I'm not considering voting for any of these candidates and will not vote in the Democratic Primary

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/2019 at 04:59 AM

I'm undecided, but I'll probably vote for Sanders, Warren, or O'Rourke, if they are available by my primary. I'll vote for any of the Democrats over Trump. I definitely won't waste my vote on a 3rd party, even though I align more with some of the 3rd parties. No point voting for a 3rd party until 1) EC is abolished and 2) We have two round voting if no one achieves 50% PV. 3) or the 3rd party magically becomes strong enough that it has a 50% chance of winning 270 EVs and can avoid sending the election to the US House despite two other parties in the general election capable of 270 EVs. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'm undecided, but I'll probably vote for Sanders, Warren, or O'Rourke, if they are available by my primary. I'll vote for any of the Democrats over Trump. I definitely won't waste my vote on a 3rd party, even though I align more with some of the 3rd parties. No point voting for a 3rd party until 1) EC is abolished and 2) We have two round voting if no one achieves 50% PV. 3) or the 3rd party magically becomes strong enough that it has a 50% chance of winning 270 EVs and can avoid sending the election to the US House despite two other parties in the general election capable of 270 EVs. 

If you vote for someone who doesn't align with your views, your vote is just as wasted

1 minute ago, pilight said:

If you vote for someone who doesn't align with your views, your vote is just as wasted

Not voting is still a vote too.

13 minutes ago, pilight said:

Not really. It’s better to support someone that aligns mostly or partially with your views than to allow someone that goes further against those views into office. That just makes it much harder for the ideal candidate to make change once they are in office since change usually has to be gradual for it to be accepted. Anyone that lived in a battleground state that hated Trump more than Clinton was an utter fool for not voting got Clinton, regardless of how mediocre of a candidate she was. I don’t see how allowing Trump to become President is in any way a virtue or a show of integrity by anyone that can call themselves progressive. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Not really. It’s better to support someone that aligns mostly or partially with your views than to allow someone that goes further against those views into office. That just makes it much harder for the ideal candidate to make change once they are in office since change usually has to be gradual for it to be accepted. Anyone that lived in a battleground state that hated Trump more than Clinton was an utter fool for not voting got Clinton, regardless of how mediocre of a candidate she was. I don’t see how allowing Trump to become President is in any way a virtue or a show of integrity by anyone that can call themselves progressive. 

Anyone who is actually progressive would never waste their vote on Hillary Clinton. Anybody who claims that a progressive should have just sucked it up and voted for Clinton is not, in fact, a progressive. They're a neoliberal. A true progressive would never aid someone like Hillary Clinton being elected to office. And before you say that not voting for Hillary would help Trump, that's not progressives' fault. They didn't vote for her in the primary and they deserved better options than these two awful candidates.

2 hours ago, jnewt said:

Anyone who is actually progressive would never waste their vote on Hillary Clinton. Anybody who claims that a progressive should have just sucked it up and voted for Clinton is not, in fact, a progressive. They're a neoliberal. A true progressive would never aid someone like Hillary Clinton being elected to office. And before you say that not voting for Hillary would help Trump, that's not progressives' fault. They didn't vote for her in the primary and they deserved better options than these two awful candidates.

This I fully agree with. And, in 2016, the Primary and forced two-party system institutionally failed all progressives, social democrats, true social liberal reformers, sensible moderates, hard social conservatives, AND libertarians in the same election. It appalls and shocks me that this electoral system still enjoys so much support after that.

Here is my tentative list of who I would support, in order. 
1. Beto O'Rourke
2. Kirsten Gillibrand
3. Amy Klobuchar
4. Sherrod Brown
5. Julian Castro
6. Cory Booker
7. Joe Biden
8. Kamela Harris
9. Bernie Sanders
10. Elizabeth Warren

However, if you include several potential "what ifs"
1. Beto O'Rourke