270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

2020 Scenario Update: Klobuchar (2/10/19)

Sen. Amy Klobuchar poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is Klobuchar a better Democratic candidate than the other senator's currently in the race (Warren, Booker, Harris, and Gillibrand)?

2. 2. If she is nominated, will the fact that Klobuchar is a Senator in Minnesota help her in states like MI, OH, and PA?

• Yes, all of them.
    • All, but Ohio, which is now more of a center-right state than a toss up now.
    • Possibly only MI, since it is next to MN.
    • No, but she will keep MN blue.
    • No, and she'll probably lose her own home state.
  3. 3. Rumors of staff abuse (verbal) is haunting Klobuchar's candidacy. Do such rumors write her off as a candidate that you would vote for?

• Yes, if they are true.
    • No, even if they are true.
    • I wouldn't vote for her even if they are untrue.

To be fair, I think throwing binders and staplers is not 'verbal' abuse. Regardless if her intent was to hit someone or not. 

6 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

To be fair, I think throwing binders and staplers is not 'verbal' abuse. Regardless if her intent was to hit someone or not. 

I didn’t hear about that part. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I didn’t hear about that part. 

Ahh fair enough. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/02/senator-klobuchar-temper-rumors

I believe The Hill had an article that touched on it as well as a few others. I think it's all linked together to the same Buzzfeed source though. 

I think all of the senators announced so far are better than her, both on policy and charisma. First, Klobuchar is lacking bold proposals which every other senator announced has some sort of bold proposal or something significant they are known for that is unique to their platform. Overall I just find Klobuchar to be a boring candidate, she won't have the enthusiasm that many other candidates are going to bring. She would help democrats in the midwest, but there are other areas where they could be hurt in return. Plus, I don't think it's a neccesirty for dems to have a nominee from the Midwest to be able to take back those states. 

In the general election, she's probably the second strongest option (after Biden).  However, her embrace of the "Green New Deal" will hurt her if she got there (which is not very likely in my opinion).

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

In the general election, she's probably the second strongest option (after Biden).  However, her embrace of the "Green New Deal" will hurt her if she got there (which is not very likely in my opinion).

I think a "moderate" would be able to make the Green New Deal more palatable to a wider audience. I think any independents agree with much of the Green New Deal. Sometimes I think the disagreement is more about who is proposing the solutions to agreed upon problems. 

2 hours ago, MysteryKnight said:

I think all of the senators announced so far are better than her, both on policy and charisma. First, Klobuchar is lacking bold proposals which every other senator announced has some sort of bold proposal or something significant they are known for that is unique to their platform. Overall I just find Klobuchar to be a boring candidate, she won't have the enthusiasm that many other candidates are going to bring. She would help democrats in the midwest, but there are other areas where they could be hurt in return. Plus, I don't think it's a neccesirty for dems to have a nominee from the Midwest to be able to take back those states. 

This is part of the problem. Many people (obviously like you) want an exciting candidate, one with personality, "bold" ideas, energy, and enthusiasm - not one who has more pragmatic and sensible ideas and policies to give grounding and perspective that is sorely needed today. This view of ideal candidate desirability is EXACTLY why a vapid, empty, vitriolic, populist with no idea how to govern a nation, saying more verified lies than facts by far, and having no vision, message, or REAL platform other than a few catchphrases like Donald Trump was elected in 2016 in the first place. Your line of thinking, shared by many, is not really inherently good for the nation or the political process or dialogue.