270soft Forum
lizphairphreak

Party Needs "Declared" Candidate

In the past, I was able to play as Not Seeking or Undecided as a third party candidate, but now after updating, it says that a candidate has to be "Declared"-- is this a part of the update or something I can get around? I really enjoyed playing as Not Seeking and seeing how I could build a third party campaign later in a primary season.

@lizphairphreak

Each party requires at least 1 candidate who is decided, because otherwise a party might end up with 0 candidates, and that causes an error. You can still set a candidate to Undecided or Not Seeking, just not all the candidates for a given party.

21 hours ago, admin_270 said:

@lizphairphreak

Each party requires at least 1 candidate who is decided, because otherwise a party might end up with 0 candidates, and that causes an error. You can still set a candidate to Undecided or Not Seeking, just not all the candidates for a given party.

What about turning off individual parties for a game entirely? Is that still an option, or does this new mechanism prevent that?

Yes, parties can be turned on or off. The problem from the game engine's perspective is when a party is turned on, but there's no actual candidate for that party (no one decided).

On 1/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, admin_270 said:

@lizphairphreak

I don't like that.  I like starting campaigns with everyone undecided to see who will jump in.

4 hours ago, pilight said:

I don't like that.  I like starting campaigns with everyone undecided to see who will jump in.

I agree because I enjoy that too, and also playing from the outside to leverage media in support of candidates vying for a nomination.. setting the playing field closer to my ideal to enter the race. But I also had my fair share of problems when playing this way, and like Anthony said, that may have been a cause of problems. I’d rather have it so I could make a blank candidate with no resources/ballot access as a “primary challenger” than have persistent problems.. for now at least