Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

2020 Board Game Idea

Recommended Posts

@vcczar This seems rigged against me.... hmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Castro attacks O'Rourke on Hispanic/Asian voters. 

Castro then drops out and formally endorses Senator Gillibrand. 

Rubio attacks Trump on MAGA voters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biden attacks O'Rourke on Party Loyalists

Cruz attacks Paul on Libertarians

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vcczar I think one complaint that I have is how lopsided the proportion of votes is. In reality, a contested demographic would not be won by won candidate over the other by 50 points, so that is one thought on the current proceedings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gillibrand attacks Sanders on Hispanic/Asian Voters

 

Kasich attacks Paul on Old Guard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@vcczar I think one complaint that I have is how lopsided the proportion of votes is. In reality, a contested demographic would not be won by won candidate over the other by 50 points, so that is one thought on the current proceedings.

For the sake of making the game manageable and not get bogged down in calculations, how would you remedy this? In regard to being rigged against you, it isn't. I'm using an online dice roller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O'Rourke attacks Biden on Loyalists. 

Romney drops out and endorses Kasich. 

If Lok doesn't respond by debate time, I'll have Flake drop out and endorse Kasich. Lok's disappeared after agreeing to do this playthrough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

For the sake of making the game manageable and not get bogged down in calculations, how would you remedy this? In regard to being rigged against you, it isn't. I'm using an online dice roller. 

Maybe a base support option? Like Kamala Harris wouldn't get 0% in California, maybe institute base support in some states, particularly home states?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Maybe a base support option? Like Kamala Harris wouldn't get 0% in California, maybe institute base support in some states, particularly home states?

I have a bonus for homestates. I may make it a base of 10%. There's a Misc demographic. I may automatically assign that to the homestater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I have a bonus for homestates. I may make it a base of 10%. There's a Misc demographic. I may automatically assign that to the homestater. 

That'd make sense to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

For the sake of making the game manageable and not get bogged down in calculations, how would you remedy this? In regard to being rigged against you, it isn't. I'm using an online dice roller. 

Perhaps divide the percentages into sections of 5%. So the largest group has 6 sections to award. The next two have 4, and the smallest two have 2. So if you have a really close win of the largest Demographic, they win 66-33 or 4 sections to 2 sections. So the winner gets 20% of the vote and the loser gets 10% Or if its a close three way you can do 3-2-1 (15-10-5). But I Definetly think the absolutist 75-25-0s should change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Perhaps divide the percentages into sections of 5%. So the largest group has 6 sections to award. The next two have 4, and the smallest two have 2. So if you have a really close win of the largest Demographic, they win 66-33 or 4 sections to 2 sections. So the winner gets 20% of the vote and the loser gets 10% Or if its a close three way you can do 3-2-1 (15-10-5). But I Definetly think the absolutist 75-25-0s should change.

I like that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Perhaps divide the percentages into sections of 5%. So the largest group has 6 sections to award. The next two have 4, and the smallest two have 2. So if you have a really close win of the largest Demographic, they win 66-33 or 4 sections to 2 sections. So the winner gets 20% of the vote and the loser gets 10% Or if its a close three way you can do 3-2-1 (15-10-5). But I Definetly think the absolutist 75-25-0s should change.

Ok, I like the idea of this if it can be calculated quickly (otherwise it will take me over an hour to calculate a primary). The entire "game" if it were a board game should take no more than 2 or 3 hours (primary and general election). I'll give you a scenario and let me know how you would calculate this quickly. 

Christian Conservatives in Iowa are 30% of the demographic for 9 delegates. Candidates roll base # + enhancements + die roll to see how well they do with this demographic:

Cruz gets a 10. Trump gets an 8. Romney gets a 7. Kasich and Rubio tie at 6. Flake and Paul get a 5. 

Under the current rules, Cruz would get the entire demographic and delegates because he has 2 more than Trump. I'm curious, how would you quickly calculate the % and delegates here. 

Secondly, how would you handle this situation: Cruz and Paul get 7, Trump gets 6, and Flake, Kasich, Rubio, and Romney get 5. 

If you can think of a more effective way to do this that isn't resoundingly more time consuming then I will adopt it. Since this is a "board game" and not a "computer game" it has to be somewhat simplified, but I do want to make it as realistic as possible so I'm eager to see what you have to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Trump campaigns for Moderate voters, and MAGA voters (if I have another point)
Gabbard campaigns for Loyalists

Read the thread. We aren't campaigning yet. We are about to do the debate, so you need to say who your candidates will attack and in what demographic they will attack them on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok, I like the idea of this if it can be calculated quickly (otherwise it will take me over an hour to calculate a primary). The entire "game" if it were a board game should take no more than 2 or 3 hours (primary and general election). I'll give you a scenario and let me know how you would calculate this quickly. 

Christian Conservatives in Iowa are 30% of the demographic for 9 delegates. Candidates roll base # + enhancements + die roll to see how well they do with this demographic:

Cruz gets a 10. Trump gets an 8. Romney gets a 7. Kasich and Rubio tie at 6. Flake and Paul get a 5. 

Under the current rules, Cruz would get the entire demographic and delegates because he has 2 more than Trump. I'm curious, how would you quickly calculate the % and delegates here. 

Secondly, how would you handle this situation: Cruz and Paul get 7, Trump gets 6, and Flake, Kasich, Rubio, and Romney get 5. 

If you can think of a more effective way to do this that isn't resoundingly more time consuming then I will adopt it. Since this is a "board game" and not a "computer game" it has to be somewhat simplified, but I do want to make it as realistic as possible so I'm eager to see what you have to say. 

Well, in order to make this simple. Let's only award votes to the top 3 candidate (Not perfect but certainly better than only the top 2)

Because Cruz won by 2, we'll distribute him 20%, and to Trump 5% and to Romney 5%. Or a 67-33/2 split.

In scenario two, Trump will get 5% and Cruz and Paul will split the remaining 25% leaving them each with 12.5%.

I do wish it were computerized to make it easier, but obviously we can't do that. So the top 3 candidates in a primary seems to be the best way to do this to balance reality with realism.

Of course, this changes depending on how big the demographic is. For the smaller demographics, I'd say the current split is fine, if it ties, then it goes 50/50, if a candidate wins by one it goes 75/25. If a candidate wins by two they get 100%. 

A win by 3 or more in the 30% category will get you a 75-25 split with the next closest contender. I think the simplest way to express this would be in a table included in the rules. Rules for calculating demographics of varying sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Well, in order to make this simple. Let's only award votes to the top 3 candidate (Not perfect but certainly better than only the top 2)

Because Cruz won by 2, we'll distribute him 20%, and to Trump 5% and to Romney 5%. Or a 67-33/2 split.

In scenario two, Trump will get 5% and Cruz and Paul will split the remaining 25% leaving them each with 12.5%.

I do wish it were computerized to make it easier, but obviously we can't do that. So the top 3 candidates in a primary seems to be the best way to do this to balance reality with realism.

Of course, this changes depending on how big the demographic is. For the smaller demographics, I'd say the current split is fine, if it ties, then it goes 50/50, if a candidate wins by one it goes 75/25. If a candidate wins by two they get 100%. 

A win by 3 or more in the 30% category will get you a 75-25 split with the next closest contender. I think the simplest way to express this would be in a table included in the rules. Rules for calculating demographics of varying sizes.

Ok, I'll try the method of having 3 winners in the 30% demographics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Ok, I'll try the method of having 3 winners in the 30% demographics. 

It could also work in the 20% Medium-sized. Perhaps, a Cruz 9 Romney 8 Rubio 7 would look like 10-6-4? Instead of 5% sections, 2%, but again, with only 3 winners, it works. Maybe a 2% division would be stronger. As long as it's easy to add, and I don't think 2% would give all that much trouble? What do you think? We could incorporate more winners if we divided into 2%s and I don't think it would be much work. We could have, in a race with 5 candidates, everyone get something, so even someone that failed miserably gets a 2% so we don't have any unrealistic 0%s on the board. Just a thought as this is very much a testing stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

It could also work in the 20% Medium-sized. Perhaps, a Cruz 9 Romney 8 Rubio 7 would look like 10-6-4? Instead of 5% sections, 2%, but again, with only 3 winners, it works. Maybe a 2% division would be stronger. As long as it's easy to add, and I don't think 2% would give all that much trouble? What do you think? We could incorporate more winners if we divided into 2%s and I don't think it would be much work. We could have, in a race with 5 candidates, everyone get something, so even someone that failed miserably gets a 2% so we don't have any unrealistic 0%s on the board. Just a thought as this is very much a testing stage.

I think I found something workable. Check the google doc under Iowa Primary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think I found something workable. Check the google doc under Iowa Primary. 

I like it quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bernie attacks Biden on Black voters.

Rand attacks Trump on MAGA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post-Iowa/Pre-New Hampshire Debate!:

Democratic Debate:

  • Gillibrand 2 (Attack on Sanders mildly successful; gains a point for NH) ***Tied as Debate Winner***
  • O'Rourke 1/1/2/-2=2 (Attack on Biden mildly successful; gains a point for NH) ***Tied as Debate Winner***
  • Gabbard 2 (Attack on O'Rourke mildly successful; gains a point for NH) ***Tied as Debate Winner***
  • Sanders 1 (Attack on Biden mildly successful)
  • Castro 0 (Attack on O'Rourke deflected)
  • Klobuchar -2 (Attack on O'Rourke fails)
  • Biden -1/-1-1 = -3  (Attack on O'Rourke fails; loses one point in NH for flopping, but is still the frontrunner) ***Debate Flop***

Republican Debate: 

  • Cruz 3 (Attack on Paul is successful; gains 2 points in NH--one for the successful attack and another for winning) ***Debate Winner***
  • Kasich 2 (Attack on Paul is mildly successful)
  • Paul 5/-3/-2=0 (Attack on Trump is brutal, Trump loses -1 on MAGA support; Paul nets 0 points for NH as he loses one and gains one for NH.)
  • Rubio 0 (Attack on Trump is deflected)
  • Trump 0/-5/0 =-5 (Attack on Kasich is deflected; loses 1 point in NH for flopping and -1 on MAGA for NH ***Debate Flop***
  • Romney and Flake do not participate as they plan to drop out. 

Other News: 

  • Romney drops out of the race and endorses Kasich, another candidate strong with moderates and old guards.
  • Flake drops out of the race and endorses Kasich, another old guard and anti-Trump Republican. 
  • Castro drops out of the race and endorses Gillibrand. 

Campaigning for New Hampshire!

 

30%

20%

20%

10%

10%

New Hampshire - D

Left

Millennials

Loyalists

Hispanic-Asians

Blacks

New Hampshire - R

Libertarian

Moderate

MAGA

Old Guard

Christian

New Hampshire bonus/deficits:

The following candidates get to add a point to a demographic (cannot add where you have a base of 5):
  • O'Rourke gets 3 (also has 1 for SC and NV)
  • Biden gets 1 (his frontrunner bonus)
  • Sanders gets 2
  • Gabbard gets 2
  • Gillibrand gets 2 (one from the Castro endorsement)
  • Kasich gets 3 (two from the Romney and Flake endorsements)
  • Rubio gets 1
  • Cruz gets 3
  • Paul gets 1
  • Trump gets 2 (also has -1 on MAGA for NH, giving him a 4 in that category; one of his points is his frontrunner bonus)

Please add your points to demographic areas, see the Google doc for your candidate's strengths and weaknesses. For me:

O'Rourke speaks to Leftist voters (uses all 3 points)

Romney dropped out so I don't have any GOP candidate. 

Up Next: New Hampshire Primary! 

@CalebsParadox @Reagan04 @lok1999 @ThePotatoWalrus @Rodja @vcczar @Hestia11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

( @vcczar Now, does Paul lose a point with Libertarians because the attack was successful or is it only if th attack hits dead on like it did with Trump and MAGA?)

Biden campaigns for Millenials either way but my GOP turn is slightly dependent on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

( @vcczar Now, does Paul lose a point with Libertarians because the attack was successful or is it only if th attack hits dead on like it did with Trump and MAGA?)

It's only strong enough to do damage if the die roll has a 4 or 5 pt gap. If the gap is 3, then you just get a point. If it's a 1 or 2, then you just get the positive points for the debate score. In the first debate, Kasich had a major backfire, but he attacked Trump on MAGA. Kasich would have lost a MAGA point, but he was at the lowest and Trump would have gained but he was at the highest. For debate die rolls. I roll first for the attack and second for the rebuttal. It's completely random since I don't have a "debate skill," which I may include. However, to keep it different from President Infinity, I may make the debates either Domestic, Economic, Foreign Policy, or General. Different candidates may get a +1 bonus or -1 deficit on the areas of their expertise or relative ignorance, if any. For instance, as much as I agree with most of Ocasio-Cortez's platform, if she were a candidate in 2020, I would probably give her a -1 on economics (as of 2020). Cruz, as much as I disagree with him on economics, would probably get a +1, since he's good at explaining himself and rephrasing the question into a way that works with the response that he wants to give. Biden would get a +1 on foreign policy. Sanders a +1 on Domestic. Some of these would be hard to determine. I'd say if it isn't obvious they wouldn't get the bonus. Trump is weird because he's arguably the worst presidential debater ever (under standard debate rules) but he "wins" in the eyes of many people. Much of that is a cult charisma that accepts anything as a win if the leader says it is a win. I might give him a +1 on General. The debate topics might be decided randomly. I'm not sure if I will do this or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Post-Iowa/Pre-New Hampshire Debate!:

Democratic Debate:

  • Gillibrand 2 (Attack on Sanders mildly successful; gains a point for NH) ***Tied as Debate Winner***
  • O'Rourke 1/1/2/-2=2 (Attack on Biden mildly successful; gains a point for NH) ***Tied as Debate Winner***
  • Gabbard 2 (Attack on O'Rourke mildly successful; gains a point for NH) ***Tied as Debate Winner***
  • Sanders 1 (Attack on Biden mildly successful)
  • Castro 0 (Attack on O'Rourke deflected)
  • Klobuchar -2 (Attack on O'Rourke fails)
  • Biden -1/-1-1 = -3  (Attack on O'Rourke fails; loses one point in NH for flopping, but is still the frontrunner) ***Debate Flop***

Republican Debate: 

  • Cruz 3 (Attack on Paul is successful; gains 2 points in NH--one for the successful attack and another for winning) ***Debate Winner***
  • Kasich 2 (Attack on Paul is mildly successful)
  • Paul 5/-3/-2=0 (Attack on Trump is brutal, Trump loses -1 on MAGA support; Paul nets 0 points for NH as he loses one and gains one for NH.)
  • Rubio 0 (Attack on Trump is deflected)
  • Trump 0/-5/0 =-5 (Attack on Kasich is deflected; loses 1 point in NH for flopping and -1 on MAGA for NH ***Debate Flop***
  • Romney and Flake do not participate as they plan to drop out. 

Other News: 

  • Romney drops out of the race and endorses Kasich, another candidate strong with moderates and old guards.
  • Flake drops out of the race and endorses Kasich, another old guard and anti-Trump Republican. 
  • Castro drops out of the race and endorses Gillibrand. 

Campaigning for New Hampshire!

 

30%

20%

20%

10%

10%

New Hampshire - D

Left

Millennials

Loyalists

Hispanic-Asians

Blacks

New Hampshire - R

Libertarian

Moderate

MAGA

Old Guard

Christian

New Hampshire bonus/deficits:

The following candidates get to add a point to a demographic (cannot add where you have a base of 5):
  • O'Rourke gets 3 (also has 1 for SC and NV)
  • Biden gets 1 (his frontrunner bonus)
  • Sanders gets 2
  • Gabbard gets 2
  • Gillibrand gets 2 (one from the Castro endorsement)
  • Kasich gets 3 (two from the Romney and Flake endorsements)
  • Rubio gets 1
  • Cruz gets 3
  • Paul gets 1
  • Trump gets 2 (also has -1 on MAGA for NH, giving him a 4 in that category; one of his points is his frontrunner bonus)

Please add your points to demographic areas, see the Google doc for your candidate's strengths and weaknesses. For me:

O'Rourke speaks to Leftist voters (uses all 3 points)

Romney dropped out so I don't have any GOP candidate. 

Up Next: New Hampshire Primary! 

@CalebsParadox @Reagan04 @lok1999 @ThePotatoWalrus @Rodja @vcczar @Hestia11

Gillibrand spends one speaking to the Left and the other speaking to Black voters.

Kasich spends one on Moderates, one on Old Guard, and one on Christian Conservatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...