270soft Forum
vcczar

Interesting Data for 2019/2020

@admin_270 might find these useful. 

1. demographic support for Dem candidates: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-5-key-constituencies-of-the-2020-democratic-primary/

2. Popularity of Senators (Sanders the most popular; Flake the least popular): https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/424806-poll-sanders-most-popular-senator-flake-least

3. Not a link, but I was wondering if @admin_270 could create something so as to allow us to watch elections. As you may have noticed I've made a "watcher/simulation" party since there is no other way to watch an election. However, with the new favorability, this watcher party sometimes gets up to 6% support instead of like 0.2%. I liked that it got some minor support to stand in for write-ins. Would adding a "watching" ability be difficult for you to add to the game? 

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

1. demographic support for Dem candidates: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-5-key-constituencies-of-the-2020-democratic-primary/

2. Popularity of Senators (Sanders the most popular; Flake the least popular): https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/424806-poll-sanders-most-popular-senator-flake-least

3. Not a link, but I was wondering if @admin_270 could create something so as to allow us to watch elections. As you may have noticed I've made a "watcher/simulation" party since there is no other way to watch an election. However, with the new favorability, this watcher party sometimes gets up to 6% support instead of like 0.2%. I liked that it got some minor support to stand in for write-ins. Would adding a "watching" ability be difficult for you to add to the game? 

Doesn't the 6% go away on election day if they dont have ballot access?

On 1/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, vcczar said:

Ah, I don't know about the second link, I don't really like The Hill. Also, the title of the article is slightly misleading, since it is measured as only popularity within the state they are representing, not across the whole nation. That makes senators who are strongly polarizing but very popular in their state, like Sanders, have a huge advantage, as Vermont is far  more liberal than the rest of the nation.

29 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

Ah, I don't know about the second link, I don't really like The Hill. Also, the title of the article is slightly misleading, since it is measured as only popularity within the state they are representing, not across the whole nation. That makes senators who are strongly polarizing but very popular in their state, like Sanders, have a huge advantage, as Vermont is far  more liberal than the rest of the nation.

Similarly, I doubt Ted Cruz has a +15 approval rating nationwide like he does in Texas.

4 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

Most senators are not know outside of their state. Outside of the big names such as Schumer, McConnell, Cruz, many Senators are confined to their home state. It'd be a difficult poll to conduct if I were to ask everyone in my town(rural South Carolina) their thoughts on Senator Grassley. 

1 hour ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Most senators are not know outside of their state. Outside of the big names such as Schumer, McConnell, Cruz, many Senators are confined to their home state. It'd be a difficult poll to conduct if I were to ask everyone in my town(rural South Carolina) their thoughts on Senator Grassley. 

Senator Who? :P

8 hours ago, Patine said:

Senator Who? :P

Im pretty sure in Canada you couldn't name an MP from another province. Lol

On 1/10/2019 at 2:10 PM, vcczar said:

1. Neat! Thanks for this. Might be useful once Voting Blocs is implemented.

3. In the latest internal, the issue with minor parties ballooning up in support doesn't seem to happen much. Having said that, it's a good idea and might happen.

The way they graph the potential candidates in that article is funny. I can think of various ways to make the info clearer. No labeling on most of the charts. No numbers. It would be nice to have a sum of strengths. The spider charts are an odd choice - even tilting them on their side is another odd choice.

18 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

TheHill is one of the very few remaining centrist news outlets left. It used to be Center-Right, and then moved to Center-Left when Trump ran for president. It now swerves between Center-Left and Center. I agree that the title is misleading, Huffington Post used to do that all the time when I worked for them. The idea for these websites is to get "clicks." 

3 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Im pretty sure in Canada you couldn't name an MP from another province. Lol

There are more MP's per Province than Senators per State. Prince Edward Island, the smallest population, and least represented in the House of Commons, has four MP's. That's twice the flat number each State has Senators. :P

Of course, we also have Senators in Canada too, but there's no point in remembering them - their now a powerless, sinecure body of appointees much like the British House of Lords whose death knell was when a Liberal-dominated Senate failed to kill the unpopular GST Progressive Conservative PM Brian Mulroney had just passed in the Commons in 1990 through a simple trick Mulroney dug up in the Canada Act (originally called the British North America - the basis of the Canadian Constitution, effectively). Abolishing the Senate has been a major plank of both the New Democratic and pre-Conservative merger Reform and Canadian Alliance parties (which, strangely, Conservative PM Stephen Harper, a founding and senior member of the Reform/Canadian Alliance part of the merger) did not act on at all in his 11 years in government, including 4 with a solid majority, but instead appointed his "rightful due" of Senatorial vacancies himself.

3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Pretty easy to name an MP from another province. Justin Trudeau. Or the other Ministers. Or the other party leaders. ;)

To be fair, @Sunnymentoaddict, did say the U.S. Senate had prominent standouts every American could name too, regardless of State.