270soft Forum
Patine

A Question About PI Incumbency

@admin_270 An interesting situation in a PI scenario I have among those in my docket I might like to do that brings the incumbency rules into question. The 1990 Polish Presidential election, the first popular election to the post in the nation's history (the Interwar Republic's President was elected solely by a joint session of the Sejm and Senate, and the position was abolished in favour of a collective head-of-state role called the Council of State during the majority of the existence of the Polish People's Republic), the incumbent President was Wojciech Jaruzelski of the Polish United Workers' Party, the satellite Communist Party subordinate to the CPSU that had held a monopoly on power in Poland from 1948-1989. However, the PUWP was already dissolved as party by the 1990 election, Jaruzelski had agreed formally (and made clear) he would not run again, and no candidate even remotely came close to claiming the PUWP or any claimed successor party's banner in that election. Who would be the incumbent party in such a case (or similar cases)?

I think you can set it in the XML files to some other party id than one that is in the campaign. I would recommend trying this to see if it works, and making a backup first.

@jvikings1 Didn't your 1824 U.S. Presidential Election scenario (which I know was made early on in the game's existence) effectively not have an incumbent party due to how it worked, or am I mistaken?

3 hours ago, Patine said:

@jvikings1 Didn't your 1824 U.S. Presidential Election scenario (which I know was made early on in the game's existence) effectively not have an incumbent party due to how it worked, or am I mistaken?

Since Monroe won every state in the previous election, I set him as the incumbent.  But, if you play as the ones who actually ran, there is no incumbent party.

@admin_270 @Patine

Another incumbency issue is this: If a president runs uncontested in the primaries, he/she gets a massive advantage over the opposing party since the opposing party destroys itself in the attempt to get the best nominee. Right now, I'm space-barring as the "Simulation Party" On Jan 20th, Trump is beating Democratic frontrunner 63.5% to 36.1% with only 0.4% of voters undecided. It's as if no one is attacking Trump. 

@vcczar

That's a good point. In primaries, candidates attack each other, but they also attack candidates from the other party. For the latter, their actions don't just knock down the scores of the candidates in the other party, but boost their own scores in their own party.

The dynamic could be pretty simple to model. If you are attacking the candidate of another party, then voters aligned with your party will lower their score of the other candidate, and raise their score for you.

17 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

It would also require changes to the AI to reflect the change in game dynamics.

I’ll probably just have Kasich and/or Flake turned ON until this is fixed then, just for balance.

On another note, What about the possibility of adding a way to watch the AI go through an election? You have simulations but it would be more fun to watch the AI.