270soft Forum
lizphairphreak

Awards Show (Oscars) Campaign

I've been thinking a lot about making a custom campaign for the Oscar for Best Picture, now that we're into awards season. I'm not really sure if it would be possible in this game, but thought it could be a cute concept...

I don't have Congress Infinity and maybe that engine would be better for this, but. I was thinking that it could be the films themselves as candidates, and then have the stars / directors as surrogates (maybe set the stamina for the "candidates" aka films really low, to cut down on rallies led by the films) who could do the "barnstorming" aka promotion. For the issues, it could be subject matter or different forms of production (sound, costumes, etc) and lock the issues so there wouldn't be any shifting of the platform, since you can't really change what's good about a film after it's done. News stories could be like real-life thinkpieces, so that a film like Green Book might do well on, say, "race issues" for a bit but then as articles come out about it's handling of race issues, that could impact momentum. I also don't think I'd use primaries, instead just making each film its own party and then turning films on or off depending on what the final nominations for the Oscars are.

What I'm struggling with is deciding what to do about the other awards leading up to the Oscars and how to weigh them. Like, should I consider each awards show as a "state" and just stagger state votes over time so they count as some votes in the final race? Should I just have them as news stories? In that case, how can I preserve some level of unpredictability-- wouldn't that mean the game would always be the same if they're pre-programmed stories? And then getting even deeper, what about acting and directing categories? How could those play into the game-- and beyond that, what about if someone wins an acting/directing award but the film itself loses (ie, Glenn Close winning for The Wife or Alfonso Cuaron for Roma)?

Maybe I'm just writing to myself here, but does anyone have any thoughts on how this kind of a concept could work, or would even be interested in seeing it attempted?

Other thing, I would probably make each "region" one of the branches of membership in the Academy:

Actors
Casting Directors (created July 31, 2013)[46]
Cinematographers
Costume Designers (created from former Art Directors Branch)[47]
Designers (created from former Art Directors Branch)[47]
Directors
Documentary
Executives
Film Editors
Make-up Artists and Hairstylists
Music
Producers
Public Relations
Short Films and Feature Animation
Sound
Visual Effects
Writers

So in this case, I wouldn't make the other awards shows into their own races/elections... maybe I could make those into debates?

1 hour ago, lizphairphreak said:

Other thing, I would probably make each "region" one of the branches of membership in the Academy:

Actors
Casting Directors (created July 31, 2013)[46]
Cinematographers
Costume Designers (created from former Art Directors Branch)[47]
Designers (created from former Art Directors Branch)[47]
Directors
Documentary
Executives
Film Editors
Make-up Artists and Hairstylists
Music
Producers
Public Relations
Short Films and Feature Animation
Sound
Visual Effects
Writers

So in this case, I wouldn't make the other awards shows into their own races/elections... maybe I could make those into debates?

I would like to help, but since I believe that Hollywood has lost the ability to make decent, real movies, with original plots and properties, and any sense of story and depth, but is only milking cash cows, except in a few rare instances, for the last 20 years or so, I'm afraid the material to work with makes it prohibitive.

17 hours ago, Patine said:

I would like to help, but since I believe that Hollywood has lost the ability to make decent, real movies, with original plots and properties, and any sense of story and depth, but is only milking cash cows, except in a few rare instances, for the last 20 years or so, I'm afraid the material to work with makes it prohibitive.

Couldn't that enhance the game-- pick an underdog movie and see if you can sway enough Academy voters to see its value?

then of course, your favorite movie will become a future template to make future cash cows.......

5 hours ago, lizphairphreak said:

Couldn't that enhance the game-- pick an underdog movie and see if you can sway enough Academy voters to see its value?

then of course, your favorite movie will become a future template to make future cash cows.......

Or a cult classic only years later...

On 1/8/2019 at 4:48 PM, Patine said:

Or a cult classic only years later...

Tommy Wiseau for Prez