270soft Forum
lizphairphreak

Exploratory Committees

An article from Vox came out that goes into detail about exploratory committees, which was helpful for me (even though I felt I vaguely knew before): https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/4/18165576/elizabeth-warren-exploratory-committee-2020-presidential-campaign

with all this in mind, I’m wondering if expanding the functions a candidate can use in the game while technically just “exploring” would be better. I like the mechanic of Not Seeking to Undecided to Official though the game is so restricted in the aundecided phase that I’m not sure you’re as able to accomplish what a real life candidate would do while “exploring.”

Thoughts?

52 minutes ago, lizphairphreak said:

An article from Vox came out that goes into detail about exploratory committees, which was helpful for me (even though I felt I vaguely knew before): https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/4/18165576/elizabeth-warren-exploratory-committee-2020-presidential-campaign

with all this in mind, I’m wondering if expanding the functions a candidate can use in the game while technically just “exploring” would be better. I like the mechanic of Not Seeking to Undecided to Official though the game is so restricted in the aundecided phase that I’m not sure you’re as able to accomplish what a real life candidate would do while “exploring.”

Thoughts?

How long have these committees been in use in American politics? I mean, in many older, historical scenarios, it was much more likely a "Not Seeking" candidate would instead be nominated, or "drafted," as the term went, as a "dark horse" or "compromise" candidate (like Polk or Garfield, or even Wilson, really) than start such a committee. I think a mechanic to toggle on or off a "modern" or "historical" view of what a "Not Seeking" candidate would mean and how they would become relevant would be useful, too.

48 minutes ago, Patine said:

How long have these committees been in use in American politics? I mean, in many older, historical scenarios, it was much more likely a "Not Seeking" candidate would instead be nominated, or "drafted," as the term went, as a "dark horse" or "compromise" candidate (like Polk or Garfield, or even Wilson, really) than start such a committee. I think a mechanic to toggle on or off a "modern" or "historical" view of what a "Not Seeking" candidate would mean and how they would become relevant would be useful, too.

I like that idea a lot, though maybe not force to choose between historical and modern (so that we could see a “compromise” candidate for a modern election too)... I was actually thinking about that the other day. What if you played as Not Seeking and used media to boost your relations with all the other candidates and then declared for the last couple of primaries, so you could go into the convention and potentially be able to take delegates because of your positive relations?