270soft Forum

Hopefully it is allowed to ask it here, but is someone of you on chess.com? If so, we could play there together.

17 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Hopefully it is allowed to ask it here, but is someone of you on chess.com? If so, we could play there together.

I use to go there, but I use Lichess.org now. Way better, runs off of donations and has no ads, and all features are free (plus the analysis is better, and it gives you insights on your games). Drop your account name below, I'd love to get some games in.

Here's a few screenshots of insights it will tell you about your games. The first one is how I do against certain openings (I just made a new account, so they vary a lot because I don't have many games played, as you can see I hate the French), and the second one shows game results based on color. The third one shows how my games end when I trade off the queens.

I do have a chess.com account that I haven't used in a long time that I can play you on.

insightopenings.png

insightcolor.png

insightqueens.png

https://www.chess.com/member/twice_fanboy

I will look into lichess later

10 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

https://www.chess.com/member/twice_fanboy

I will look into lichess later

Awesome, on Lichess I am rated ~1600, and you seem to be around ~950. I'd be glad to teach you some things maybe, added you.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Awesome, on Lichess I am rated ~1600, and you seem to be around ~950. I'd be glad to teach you some things maybe, added you.

1600 is good. When I played chess regularly in undergrad and grad school, I was an 1850 on yahoo, which is what I used to play online. However, I was better at playing in person. I’m probably less than a 1600 now. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

1600 is good. When I played chess regularly in undergrad and grad school, I was an 1850 on yahoo, which is what I used to play online. However, I was better at playing in person. I’m probably less than a 1600 now. 

Thanks boi. After having that Chess tournament here I started playing regularly and got to 1600 after playing since August. Just started reading chess books a week ago. I need to play you sometime soon too.

21 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Thanks boi. After having that Chess tournament here I started playing regularly and got to 1600 after playing since August. Just started reading chess books a week ago. I need to play you sometime soon too.

I never read any chess books. The best way to get better is to play people better than you. I played every day against master-level players. One guy could play 8 people simultaneously without looking at the boards. He'd win every game. In about 100 games, I beat him once and drew once or twice. I got close about 20 times. He said in about 5 games that I would have won if I didn't make mistake during end game. Another guy I played regularly drew against Karpov. I played that guy maybe 30 times, won once, drew once. Got close maybe 5 times. Then there were two guys at a tier below them that I probably beat about 30-35% of the time. They also played in tournaments but not anything major. I also played against a lot of people about my level. When I played people that were worse than me I always tried to see if I could force a stalemate or draw since that was more challenging than winning. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I never read any chess books. The best way to get better is to play people better than you. I played every day against master-level players. One guy could play 8 people simultaneously without looking at the boards. He'd win every game. In about 100 games, I beat him once and drew once or twice. I got close about 20 times. He said in about 5 games that I would have won if I didn't make mistake during end game. Another guy I played regularly drew against Karpov. I played that guy maybe 30 times, won once, drew once. Got close maybe 5 times. Then there were two guys at a tier below them that I probably beat about 30-35% of the time. They also played in tournaments but not anything major. I also played against a lot of people about my level. When I played people that were worse than me I always tried to see if I could force a stalemate or draw since that was more challenging than winning. 

What were your favorite openings when you played? I like to play a variety of openings but I play e4 as white 80% of the time (d4 about 15% of the time, usually when it's a game that I NEED to win, and very few I'll throw in an English opening around 5% of the time), my results are pretty similar with all three openings, and I'm familiar with the lines and variations for all of them about equally, but for some reason I just like playing e4 most of the time until I get bored of it.

As black I'll play both e5 and some Sicilian variations (Najdorf, Dragon, and my favorite, the Accelerated Dragon) against e4, and basically the King's Indian Defense against d4, c4, and everything else, but sometimes I'll throw in some crazy openings every now and then like the Scandinavian, and very rarely in speed chess games the Budapest Gambit, since it's full of traps that require thorough calculation to see.

53 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

What were your favorite openings when you played? I like to play a variety of openings but I play e4 as white 80% of the time (d4 about 15% of the time, usually when it's a game that I NEED to win, and very few I'll throw in an English opening around 5% of the time), my results are pretty similar with all three openings, and I'm familiar with the lines and variations for all of them about equally, but for some reason I just like playing e4 most of the time until I get bored of it.

As black I'll play both e5 and some Sicilian variations (Najdorf, Dragon, and my favorite, the Accelerated Dragon) against e4, and basically the King's Indian Defense against d4, c4, and everything else, but sometimes I'll throw in some crazy openings every now and then like the Scandinavian, and very rarely in speed chess games the Budapest Gambit, since it's full of traps that require thorough calculation to see.

I used the standard openings for both sides, but I used Bird’s opening a lot. I like that opening because it’s verh aggressive. The downside is that it doesn’t work well if someone is used to playing against it. I usually played it the first time I played against anyone (99% of all chess games I played were in person and not online) just to see how well they played. Wow, it’s been over 10 years since I regularly played chess. 2001-2007 were the years I played daily. I’ve played maybe 5 total games since then. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I used the standard openings for both sides, but I used Bird’s opening a lot. I like that opening because it’s verh aggressive. The downside is that it doesn’t work well if someone is used to playing against it. I usually played it the first time I played against anyone (99% of all chess games I played were in person and not online) just to see how well they played. Wow, it’s been over 10 years since I regularly played chess. 2001-2007 were the years I played daily. I’ve played maybe 5 total games since then. 

I've analyzed the Bird's opening, but never played it or against it. The analysis board actually calls it a poor opening for white though (the only five supposedly good moves are e4, d4, c4, nf3, and g3), but there is this one GM I played against who only plays the Grob opening (at least online), and has great success with it, and it's apparently the worst first move white can make (g4)

As a fellow aggressive and attacking player myself, I'm curious how maybe a best of three match between us would go if you were interested in playing some games later.

7 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I've analyzed the Bird's opening, but never played it or against it. The analysis board actually calls it a poor opening for white though (the only five supposedly good moves are e4, d4, c4, nf3, and g3), but there is this one GM I played against who only plays the Grob opening (at least online), and has great success with it, and it's apparently the worst first move white can make (g4)

As a fellow aggressive and attacking player myself, I'm curious how maybe a best of three match between us would go if you were interested in playing some games later.

I’ll have to find some uninterrupted time. I’m pretty much always multitasking. We could play an untimed game that can carry over a few days or a week but I’m usually not as good at those since I lose the adrenaline rush

11 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

A very odd playing style for a self-declared non-interventionist. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist...

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

A very odd playing style for a self-declared non-interventionist. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Lol that was actually a pretty good one.