270soft Forum
Hestia11

It’s Official

5 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

What makes you think trump isn't a conservative?

I think Obamacare unpopularity isn't that "it's boring" but rather that it's a terrible programme that barely helped anyone.

I disagree, it's democrats who think means-testing is an understandable, popular platform, rather than academic bullshit, that doesn't help anyone, which are causing the democrats to lose.

Well "boring" was not the meaning 😛

To be sincere, the cost of insurances which raised due to Obamacare for the middle class and which contributed to some Repubican gains like in Florida in 2016

I would have loved to see if Sanders would have still won if he won the Democratic race against Hillary

The race would have probably be closer than expected if electors would have really had to choose between Bernie and Trump

Maybe he would have won but only (according to me) with the blue wall, Pennsilv, Michigan and Wisconsin.

But reasons why Florida voted Trump are numerous for example :

-Latinos from Cuba were "deceived" by Obama's agreement and this got an impact on the Dem party itself

-Obamacare for middle class' insurances

2 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Well "boring" was not the meaning 😛

To be sincere, the cost of insurances which raised due to Obamacare for the middle class and which contributed to some Repubican gains like in Florida in 2016

I would have loved to see if Sanders would have still won if he won the Democratic race against Hillary

The race would have probably be closer than expected if electors would have really had to choose between Bernie and Trump

Maybe he would have won but only (according to me) with the blue wall, Pennsilv, Michigan and Wisconsin.

But reasons why Florida voted Trump are numerous for example :

-Latinos from Cuba were "deceived" by Obama's agreement and this got an impact on the Dem party itself

-Obamacare for middle class' insurances

Well actually the Bernie vs Trump polls in 2016 showed that Bernie had a substantial lead over Trump, bigger than Hillary in fact.

Also how are we going to define middle-class?  

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

Well actually the Bernie vs Trump polls in 2016 showed that Bernie had a substantial lead over Trump, bigger than Hillary in fact.

Also how are we going to define middle-class?  

That would be the somewhat affluent and more-or-less financially stable social class of professional gainfully career-employed families that ONCE existed in the United States (and is still referred to in American politics as an ideal) that Ronald Reagan and his vaunted, destructive, "locust-swarm-style" Reaganomics policies (a lot of which were cribbed from Thatcher, and that many modern Republicans want to bring back in full for another round of economic slaughter) destroyed utterly and completely as a real and viable social class in the United States.

1 hour ago, Edouard said:

Too much left

only 2 candidates can clearly win the next presidential election against Trump

Beto is the first one according to me

Democrat from the South, moderate enough but powerfull liberalism on societal rights, he can flip flop swing states and threatens Trump in Arizona and Georgia aswell North Carolina.

Second : Biden

Moderate enough too.

If Warren or Harris win, they won't make more than Clinton because Dems can't ignore that a lot of swing states and former blue states like Missouri, Indiana, North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, even New Hampshire including Pennsilvania are pro independent and moderate states.

Some states are however changing like Colorado which elected a really liberal governor.

Beto is literally a loser.

Biden is 76-years-old and ran for President twice before losing badly each time.

Silly worship of these very flawed guys.

1 minute ago, Jayavarman said:

Biden is 76-years-old and ran for President twice before losing badly each time.

Silly worship of these very flawed guys.

Who that is likely to run (including the incumbent) is not highly flawed? What will make this election worth looking forward to as anything but yet another cheated, robbed, and disappointing election event feeding political cynics and doomsayers legitimate and valid ammunition?

I know another guy who lost an election then won big other times

This person was named Nixon, loser of the american election of 1960

I would not underestimate the Rourke effect, he got 48% in Texas against a Texas incumbent, this means he is dangerous for Trump

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

That would be the somewhat affluent and more-or-less financially stable social class of professional gainfully career-employed families that ONCE existed in the United States (and is still referred to in American politics as an ideal) that Ronald Reagan and his vaunted, destructive, "locust-swarm-style" Reaganomics policies (a lot of which were cribbed from Thatcher, and that many modern Republicans want to bring back in full for another round of economic slaughter) destroyed utterly and completely as a real and viable social class in the United States.

Ah, okay, I'm more use to using Marxian class theory, so I didn't know what "middle-class" actually entailed, and it seems they'd still fit under working-class(or proletariat).

3 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

But he's like Obama, but white! Everybody loves Obama, right!

5 minutes ago, Edouard said:

I would not underestimate the Rourke effect, he got 48% in Texas against a Texas incumbent, this means he is dangerous for Trump

And, of course Ronald Reagan was a failed or withdrawn Primaries candidate for U.S. President four times before 1980.

Also I still want everyone to know that I am still downing an entire Tabasco bottle if Gillibrand and/or Booker choose not to run. I am 99.9% sure that they will both run eventually.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Also I still want everyone to know that I am still downing an entire Tabasco bottle if Gillibrand and/or Booker choose not to run. I am 99.9% sure that they will both run eventually.

Frankly, I don't care if you down a lead cylinder of plutonium in a heavy water solution. I'm expecting the 2020 U.S. Presidential election to be yet another disappointment - no matter what the results...

2 hours ago, Patine said:

Frankly, I don't care if you down a lead cylinder of plutonium in a heavy water solution.

That's super specific. You have any story/experience associated with that?

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That's super specific. You have any story/experience associated with that?

It was hyperbole. I'm surprised you didn't recognize it, given it's a posting style you, yourself, overuse.

7 hours ago, Edouard said:

Nixon was a sitting Vice President / former Senator and only lost the 1960 Presidential Election by 0.17% of the popular vote; quite possibly had the 1960 Presidency stolen from him if the voting irregularities in Illinois and Texas were indeed malicious.

Nixon spent the following years before 1968 supporting Republicans across the nation for various offices.  This loyal support and work enabled him to again decisively win nationwide Republican primary votes and endorsements from the start.

14 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

Nixon was a sitting Vice President / former Senator and only lost the 1960 Presidential Election by 0.17% of the popular vote; quite possibly had the 1960 Presidency stolen from him if the voting irregularities in Illinois and Texas were indeed malicious.

Nixon spent the following years before 1968 supporting Republicans across the nation for various offices.  This loyal support and work enabled him to again decisively win nationwide Republican primary votes and endorsements from the start.

So a bureaucratic party cog and apparatchik rather than a true leader or ideologue in his own right. So wonder he turned out to be so corrupt...

19 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Jokes on you, we've got 12 years at best before global warming causes the sea to swallow us whole, and we boil alive.

lol

18 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

lol

Denying that the global climate is changing rapidly in spite of a huge amount of empirical evidence, and saying there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY WHATSOEVER humans are involved in the cause, so to just drop all research into it just like that, when the skyrocketing levels of pollutants happen to coincide with the start of the drastic climate change, makes about as much sense as denying the existence of gravity.

Just now, Patine said:

Denying that the global climate is changing rapidly in spite of a huge amount of empirical evidence, and saying there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY WHATSOEVER humans are involved in the cause, so to just drop all research into it just like that, when the skyrocketing levels of pollutants happen to coincide with the start of the drastic climate change, makes about as much sense as denying the existence of gravity.

I was moreso chortling at his apocalyptic Al Goresque view of reality.

42 minutes ago, Patine said:

So a bureaucratic party cog and apparatchik rather than a true leader or ideologue in his own right. So wonder he turned out to be so corrupt...

Recommend reading this book about Nixon that concentrates on just 1913-1962 so you see how he grew up and what made him:  https://smile.amazon.com/Nixon-I-Education-Politician-1913-1962-ebook/dp/B00HL709WY/

Image result for Nixon Volume I: The Education of a Politician

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

No more distorted than your view of reality - just different...

15 hours ago, Patine said:

No more distorted than your view of reality - just different...

Dont you know global warming is just Summer lmao 

19 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

That's rich coming from a man who called abortion the most pressing civil rights issue America ever faced, and even compared it to segregation.

49 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

That's rich coming from a man who called abortion the most pressing civil rights issue America ever faced, and even compared it to segregation.

I think @Reagan04 was channeling the insulting-to-the-intelligence smoke-and-mirrors line where George W. Bush, already having started two wars - one overtly illegal and based on false premises - which both had no end in sight and were costing a lot of American (and other) lives unnecessarily, tanking international relations, even with many long-standing allies, for no appreciable gain, was authorizing all manners of blatant and obvious war crimes and human rights abuses, including targeting specifically civilian centres in bombing and drone attacks, drone attacks on nations the U.S. was NOT in a state of war with, torture and other inhumane conditions of prisoners-of-war (something specifically outlawed by the binding Geneva Conventions, that the U.S. Government was a signatory to all four in good faith), and having passed the (un)Patriot Act, a package of legislation that violated the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights in flagrant ways and many different levels, passed in an atmosphere of fear, then had the gall and audacity to attempt a flimsy, tissue-paper distraction by proclaiming that, "same-sex marriage is the biggest issue facing American in our time."

Personally I do not think, that Warren is the right person to lead the Democrats into the next election. My impression is that she is not that charismatic and certainly not someone who can excite the crowds at election rallies. If Sanders runs as well, it would be a disaster for the left-wing of the Democrats because this would be the ultimate spoiler. I think Sanders would still be the better choice for left-wing Democrats, because he was able to create something like a movement. I doubt Warren could do the same, O'Rourke could do it perhaps for his wing, but Warren is not the top choice. Nevertheless I think Biden would be the best Democrat to win for them.