270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ThePotatoWalrus

Could a White Dude Beat Trump?

Saw on Huffpost I think that the three highest polling Dems right now were Biden, Sanders, and Beta O'Rourke. It questioned if a white dude could beat Trump. What do y'all think? I'm not sure if a black, transgender, dragonkin, pansexual, left-handed woman could beat Trump like they probably want, but would an old, white nominee really be that much of a problem for the Democrats? Discuss.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Saw on Huffpost I think that the three highest polling Dems right now were Biden, Sanders, and Beta O'Rourke. It questioned if a white dude could beat Trump. What do y'all think? I'm not sure if a black, transgender, dragonkin, pansexual, left-handed woman could beat Trump like they probably want, but would an old, white nominee really be that much of a problem for the Democrats? Discuss.

All I have to say is that it is unfortunate that this question still has validity. If a candidate can't be judged on their message, platform, tenor of campaign, ethics, and conduct without base demographic concerns being so preoccupying, than are we not still in a primeval social dark age?

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

While I think your description caused me to roll my eyes, you do bring up an interesting question. The Democratic party is more of a coalition than a party. Union voters, left wing DSA/progressive voters,  minorites, and white liberals. And each group has their own wants and needs; which makes governing a bit difficult. Look at the two state wide Georgia elections: for governor and Secretary of State. Abrams- the governor candidate- and Barrow(SoS) both did well in different areas. Abrams had high turnout in DeKalb and Fulton county. Both high black population counties. Barrow did well in Cobb county and in Athens ( both with alot of white liberals). 

I doubt Biden will win, since I'm not sure if he appeal to voters in California- an early primary state. But be it a minority(Harris or Booker) or a white man, there will be a trade off. 

36 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

While I think your description caused me to roll my eyes, you do bring up an interesting question. The Democratic party is more of a coalition than a party. Union voters, left wing DSA/progressive voters,  minorites, and white liberals. And each group has their own wants and needs; which makes governing a bit difficult. Look at the two state wide Georgia elections: for governor and Secretary of State. Abrams- the governor candidate- and Barrow(SoS) both did well in different areas. Abrams had high turnout in DeKalb and Fulton county. Both high black population counties. Barrow did well in Cobb county and in Athens ( both with alot of white liberals). 

I doubt Biden will win, since I'm not sure if he appeal to voters in California- an early primary state. But be it a minority(Harris or Booker) or a white man, there will be a trade off. 

I have to say that another is that the United States has not had a President or a candidate in a Presidential Election who has united the nation behind them - truly being called a LEADER of the nation, a REPRESENTATIVE of the nation abroad, a FACE of the nation, and the TRUE DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL POLICY AND IDEAS, in a real sense outside of being arbitrarily awarded the titleage alone by the Electoral College based on the tallied votes of the 50 States tabulated separately, since (I hate to say) Ronald Reagan. This, in truth, is a problem, and one that shows no sign at all of being redressed, but only of getting worse.

9 hours ago, Patine said:

I have to say that another is that the United States has not had a President or a candidate in a Presidential Election who has united the nation behind them - truly being called a LEADER of the nation, a REPRESENTATIVE of the nation abroad, a FACE of the nation, and the TRUE DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL POLICY AND IDEAS, in a real sense outside of being arbitrarily awarded the titleage alone by the Electoral College based on the tallied votes of the 50 States tabulated separately, since (I hate to say) Ronald Reagan. This, in truth, is a problem, and one that shows no sign at all of being redressed, but only of getting worse.

Dubya after 9/11? Had one of the highest approval ratings of all time.

Beto O'Rourke yes,Joe Biden no,Bernie Sanders yes,Bloomberg no,Sherrod Brown no,Bob Casey Jr. no,

I could see "Power tickets" being O'Rourke/Klobuchar or Harris

Sanders/Brown or Klobuchar

13 hours ago, Patine said:

All I have to say is that it is unfortunate that this question still has validity. If a candidate can't be judged on their message, platform, tenor of campaign, ethics, and conduct without base demographic concerns being so preoccupying, than are we not still in a primeval social dark age?

Amen

2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Dubya after 9/11? Had one of the highest approval ratings of all time.

He only arguably did so in an atmosphere of fear and through playing on that fear like a harp - and a powerful dose of lies and deception - and blatant and transparent ones, even from the perspective of the time. That is NOT a true LEADER or REPRESENTATIVE of a nation, any more than certain other classic examples of that same style of leadership in world history that we've all heard often enough...

9 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Beto O'Rourke yes,Joe Biden no,Bernie Sanders yes,Bloomberg no,Sherrod Brown no,Bob Casey Jr. no,

I could see "Power tickets" being O'Rourke/Klobuchar or Harris

Sanders/Brown or Klobuchar

I'm curious why you think Brown is no? Not trying to attack just what you think his flaws are.i agree that Beto could possibly beat him. Though I'm skeptical on Sanders.

Just now, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I'm curious why you think Brown is no? Not trying to attack just what you think his flaws are.i agree that Beto could possibly beat him. Though I'm skeptical on Sanders.

I know he is from Ohio,which is a huge state for an election,and he is a progressive and such,I just don't think he 'd be a very strong candidate,I need to see some more from him before I'd flip that,I do like his views very much however.

7 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I know he is from Ohio,which is a huge state for an election,and he is a progressive and such,I just don't think he 'd be a very strong candidate,I need to see some more from him before I'd flip that,I do like his views very much however.

I can see that. Prior to this Congress, he's been seen as a reliable backbencher that had traditional labor politics. I'd argue had Clinton became president, noone would say he should run in 2020 or 2024(I'm sure you'll agree).

There is a theory behind this that I read recently and may have some merit: basically, that there are some white swing voters who have some racist views or at least negative attitudes towards minorities but will sometimes vote Democratic if "identity" issues are not front-and-center, even if the Democratic candidate happens to be black (e.g. Obama). Thus, whereas a white Democrat like Hillary, especially given her husband's record on issues like incarceration, had to reinforce her anti-racist bona fides by talking explicitly about these issues and picking fights with Trump about them, a minority Democrat like Obama could quietly embody acceptance of diversity simply by being a minority while concentrating on other issues in campaign rhetoric.

If there's something to this idea - and I'm not saying there is or there isn't - then Democrats might actually have more success nominating a minority candidate to run against Trump rather than a white candidate.

1.  'No black man was could win' was the line before Obama got elected.  Let's put to bed these silly qualifier questions.

2.  The question also assumes that a special character needs to beat Trump.  He lost the popular vote by 3 million and only squeaked by 100 thousands votes spread between MI, PA, WI; easily prevented if Clinton just step foot once more in those states and not be complacent.  Trump was the underdog in 2016, and he is the underdog again in 2020.  The Democrats just need to not be idiots and have a competent, inspiring candidate.