270soft Forum
TheMiddlePolitical

What are YOUR predictions for the 2020 Democratic nominee?

Top 5 in order:

1.Joe Biden wins the race in a manner like HRC did,having one major challenger. Perhaps another Populist. Bernie or Warren?

2.Cory Booker wins,In a contested race (not convention) perhaps closely beating out Harris,Klobuchar,and Beto,Biden chooses not to run. 

3.Kamala Harris rides the Pink wave,Beating out people like Biden/Booker/and a wild card such as Tom Steyer/Michael Bloomberg

4.Riding on his success from 2018,Beto O’Rourke wins in an Obama like manor,he wouldn’t beat out a powerhouse like Biden,but he could beat out a number of mid-Majors such as Klobuchar,Brown,and Gillibrand

5.Bernie does it,this time. I think he could possibly even beat out Biden,and be the one person to do so,however I think it would be incredibly hard for him to do so.

I think 2020 will likely be unique, but if I were forced to pick an analogy, I feel like it will be something like 2008. In this scenario, Biden is Clinton and O'Rourke is Obama. The difference is that the other candidates won't be just token candidates. I think Warren falls early to Sanders. I think O'Rourke manages to drain some of Sanders's support over time, enough that Sanders is a distant third. Some scandal will hit Biden, something "me too" but not as bad as anything Clinton or Trump did, but it is enough that Dems switch to O'Rourke. Biden drops out and endorses O'Rourke about 3 weeks before the convention. O'Rourke gets near unanimous support in delegates after a shift to show unity (with some Sanders voters staying put). Sanders again gets a prime time speech. O'Rourke doesn't select a VP until the convention. Sherrod Brown, Bernie Sanders, Jeff Merkley, Amy Klobuchar, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, and Joe Biden are tossed around as possible VP choices. Biden declines for fear of the scandal coming back. Brown declines since the governor will replace him with a Republican, as does Warren for the same reason. Merkley and Klobuchar are seen as not exciting enough when only excitement will defeat Trump. With so much on the line, the Democrats reluctantly avoid selecting Booker (who would have fulfilled a goal of having a minority on the ticket). Thus, establishment Democrats hold their nose and endorse Bernie Sanders as the VP. With this ticket, Democrats need not fear a split ticket. O'Rourke can now tack towards the center in the general elections (which is how he operated mostly as a US Rep in TX anyway), while letting Bernie be Bernie. Trump goes down in 2020. 

4 hours ago, Rarename91 said:

it be another 2012.

Are you somehow predicting a vicious, nasty, and incendiary bloodbath of a Democratic Primary leading to a candidate who makes endless gaffes, shows to be utterly out of touch with the common American, and constantly puts their foot in their mouth, while ABSOLUTELY no Republican of any name value or recognition makes ANY challenge whatsoever against Trump, and he barely campaigns, breaks a sweat, or lifts a finger, or says or does anything really stupid (COMPETELY against his known nature utterly) and CALMY (lol) watches the opposition self-destruct? Is this what you're predicting? REALLY?

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think 2020 will likely be unique, but if I were forced to pick an analogy, I feel like it will be something like 2008. In this scenario, Biden is Clinton and O'Rourke is Obama. The difference is that the other candidates won't be just token candidates. I think Warren falls early to Sanders. I think O'Rourke manages to drain some of Sanders's support over time, enough that Sanders is a distant third. Some scandal will hit Biden, something "me too" but not as bad as anything Clinton or Trump did, but it is enough that Dems switch to O'Rourke. Biden drops out and endorses O'Rourke about 3 weeks before the convention. O'Rourke gets near unanimous support in delegates after a shift to show unity (with some Sanders voters staying put). Sanders again gets a prime time speech. O'Rourke doesn't select a VP until the convention. Sherrod Brown, Bernie Sanders, Jeff Merkley, Amy Klobuchar, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, and Joe Biden are tossed around as possible VP choices. Biden declines for fear of the scandal coming back. Brown declines since the governor will replace him with a Republican, as does Warren for the same reason. Merkley and Klobuchar are seen as not exciting enough when only excitement will defeat Trump. With so much on the line, the Democrats reluctantly avoid selecting Booker (who would have fulfilled a goal of having a minority on the ticket). Thus, establishment Democrats hold their nose and endorse Bernie Sanders as the VP. With this ticket, Democrats need not fear a split ticket. O'Rourke can now tack towards the center in the general elections (which is how he operated mostly as a US Rep in TX anyway), while letting Bernie be Bernie. Trump goes down in 2020. 

Yeah, O'Rourke is already fairly centrist/centre-right, and be exposed as so if he runs he has voted with the GOP numerous times on gutting financial regs, Republican-crafted tax cuts (not the big most recent one) he also broke his own pledge not to take fossil fuel executive money, which is why Sanders is the likely winner if he runs.

41 minutes ago, MBDemSoc said:

Yeah, O'Rourke is already fairly centrist/centre-right, and be exposed as so if he runs he has voted with the GOP numerous times on gutting financial regs, Republican-crafted tax cuts (not the big most recent one) he also broke his own pledge not to take fossil fuel executive money, which is why Sanders is the likely winner if he runs.

Obama was center/center right on some issues in 2008. I completely agree with @vcczar. A half of the party doesn’t want a far-left canidate. That will not beat Trump. Beto should,and will win. And I will fully support him,one of the few Dems I would support.

20 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Obama was center/center right on some issues in 2008

And his presidency was a great success as we all know!

21 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

A half of the party doesn’t want a far-left canidate. That will not beat Trump. Beto should,and will win. And I will fully support him,one of the few Dems I would support.

Yeah Bernie's one of the most popular politicians, and the policy positions he pushes poll incredibly well with the American people, but we need someone who we think appeals to the white "moderate" republican suburbanites, they'd definitely vote against racism. Also social-democracy is far left now.

18 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Obama was center/center right on some issues in 2008. I completely agree with @vcczar. A half of the party doesn’t want a far-left canidate. That will not beat Trump. Beto should,and will win. And I will fully support him,one of the few Dems I would support.

Far-left my behind, the dude is a Social Dem which is nowhere near far-left, he's not advocating for the overthrow of capitalism by peaceful or violent means just the reforming of it.

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

Yeah Bernie's one of the most popular politicians, and the policy positions he pushes poll incredibly well with the American people, but we need someone who we think appeals to the white "moderate" republican suburbanites, they'd definitely vote against racism. Also social-democracy is far left now.

https://giphy.com/gifs/the-office-thank-you-michael-scott-1Z02vuppxP1Pa

1 hour ago, MBDemSoc said:

36 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Personally, even though I can't vote in the U.S., I could not sincerely offer my support to someone who was in the pocket of big corporations, believe giving them endless deregulations, exemptions from laws, and tax cuts was somehow a good thing, or was, themselves (notably looking at the incumbent here) a billionaire corporate businessperson.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Personally, even though I can't vote in the U.S., I could not sincerely offer my support to someone who was in the pocket of big corporations, believe giving them endless deregulations, exemptions from laws, and tax cuts was somehow a good thing, or was, themselves (notably looking at the incumbent here) a billionaire corporate businessperson.

I agree 100%.

2 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

2 minutes ago, MBDemSoc said:

Far-left my behind, the dude is a Social Dem which is nowhere near far-left, he's not advocating for the overthrow of capitalism by peaceful or violent means just the reforming of it.

Well, since Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter, and other such pundits, and many Republican ideologues and candidate, make it very clear that if you're a Social Democrat or even a Liberal, you might as well just be considered a Communist to make rhetoric simple, a neo-hyper-McCarthyite ideal right there.

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, since Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter, and other such pundits, and many Republican ideologues and candidate, make it very clear that if you're a Social Democrat or even a Liberal, you might as well just be considered a Communist to make rhetoric simple, a neo-hyper-McCarthyite ideal right there.

Yep.