270soft Forum
KingSepron

There's no you lose screen for primaries

On 12/23/2018 at 1:19 PM, KingSepron said:

Yeah, I'm bad, Cruz narrowly beat me (played Carson) but there wasn't a 'You lose' screen, the game just continued

Bug or just a lack of feature?

There usually is such a screen.  Whenever I lose in the primaries, a screen comes up saying "You have lost as [your character], do you want to play as [the nominee]? If not you will be removed from the game."

Sounds like a bug.

4 hours ago, darkmoon72 said:

There usually is such a screen.  Whenever I lose in the primaries, a screen comes up saying "You have lost as [your character], do you want to play as [the nominee]? If not you will be removed from the game."

Sounds like a bug.

I remember the old, old, 1980's Ultima computer RPG's from Origin (the original single-player ones for the Apple II series and DOS, NOT the modern MMO) did not have such a screen or notification, or even told you you had lost at all - you just wandered until it finally hit you you'd reached a stage in the games through your games where that particular game was effectively unwinnable, and then either reloaded an older saved game, or started again.

On 12/27/2018 at 3:47 PM, Patine said:

I remember the old, old, 1980's Ultima computer RPG's from Origin (the original single-player ones for the Apple II series and DOS, NOT the modern MMO) did not have such a screen or notification, or even told you you had lost at all - you just wandered until it finally hit you you'd reached a stage in the games through your games where that particular game was effectively unwinnable, and then either reloaded an older saved game, or started again.

Funny you should mention the Ultima series, they are some of my favorite games, I grew up playing them.  In fact I have found mods and patches for most of the single-player games that have "enhanced" them quite a bit.  I'm still sad about the last 2 games being poorly made and incomplete, even 20 years later.

Edit: And I remember that exact thing happening.  In Ultima 5 I forgot a game-critical item, got all the way to the end, didn't realize my mistake for a couple of minutes because the game doesn't explicitly tell you, and let's just say rage-quitting was involved...

On 12/27/2018 at 3:47 PM, Patine said:

I used to play Ultima 7 and Ultima 7, p2. I also played Ultima Online. 

On 1/14/2019 at 4:41 PM, vcczar said:

I used to play Ultima 7 and Ultima 7, p2. I also played Ultima Online. 

The Black Gate was the first Ultima I ever played, at my friend's house.  Serpent Isle was the first Ultima I ever owned.

I sometimes still play Online - there are ways to play it for free where it's more or less the same setup as it was 20 years ago.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Exult, perhaps the best Ultima mod out there.  It not only makes 7 and 7 part 2 playable on modern machines, it enhances them quite a bit. 

Maybe eventually we can get the original plot to Serpent Isle as part of the mod - it's still in the game's usecode and it is a project they're working on.  The biggest tragedy of the last 3 games (7 part 2, 8 and 9) is that they were all released essentially unfinished.