270soft Forum
vcczar

Late December Trump Poll

Trump Late December Poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following 4 Trump decisions do you approve?

• Supporting the Criminal Justice Reform
    • Withdrawing from Syria
    • Withdrawing more troops from Afghanistan
    • Forcing a government shutdown by refusing to sign a bill without wall funding.
    • None of the above.
  2. 2. Trump favorability

• I favor Trump 100%
    • I greatly favor Trump’s presidency
    • I somewhat favor Trump’s presidency
    • Mixed bag, I’m conflicted
    • I somewhat disfavor Trump’s presidency
    • I greatly disfavor Trump’s presidency.
    • I 100% disfavor Trump’s presidency.
  3. 3. If you could go back to Election Day 2016...

• I would still prefer Trump to Clinton
    • I would still support Clinton to Trump
    • I would switch my support to Clinton
    • I would switch my support to Trump
    • I would still vote 3rd party or still refuse to vote

4 hours ago, Patine said:

But does the Father on Judgement Day want to hear them. I cannot say. The mercy, grace, and love He has for his creations is beyond all of our knowledge, and beyond the vast majority of us, seemingly to even emulate, despite his son enjoining us so to too. The latter part of that statement is a big part of what I'm saying. And, if only the very tail end of the year is a "time of love" for you, I do worry for you - for a good Christian, all times should ideally be times of love, forgiveness, forebearance, charity, and good works, as Christ enjoined. He never ONCE enjoined, endorsed, or promoted the judgemental, vindictive, elitist, and cold-hearted view of his Church you and a monstrously large number who call yourselves Christians follow today.

You're obviously not up with your Sinatra songs...

On 12/25/2018 at 4:18 PM, Patine said:

Unlike @NYrepublican (and a strangely large number of other people today), I never said the crimes of the Nazi regime were solely and entirely focused on Jews alone.

Where did I say any such thing. I demand to know.

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

Where did I say any such thing. I demand to know.

Quite early on, but I recall you did. You may have revised and expanded your view since, as the Nazis aren't a huge topic, except in relativity and comparison, on these forums, to be honest.

Even though this thread has gone sharply off from it's opening thread title (and, I fully admit, I had my hand in that phenomenon, despite myself), I'm going to say this about the opening thread post. Even though I still believe Trump's Presidential run was a PR stunt that succeeded despite his own expectations, and that he is NOT leadership or stateman material AT ALL, doesn't seem to understand many issues, has an embarrassment of a revolving door cabinet and flip-flopping policies, started trade wars out of nowhere as simply pissing matches that were not for the long-term benefit of consumers, workers, or companies, and the economic repercussions will likely come to haunt him (perhaps even doing in his re-election bid in 2020), and he has pretty much violated, shrugged, and abdicated his oath and duties of office by shutting down the government on a vain and impractical personal pet policy that wouldn't even do any REAL good for it's purpose (except to maybe, many, many years in the future, be a tourist attraction like Qin Shi Huangdi's equivalent), I will say that, it is very likely that, if Clinton had been elected President, there would not only be troops still in Afghanistan and Iraq indefinitely, but VERY possibly also U.S. (and whatever allies they could sucker in to join them) military intervention ON THE GROUND in Syria, Libya, and Korea, AT LEAST, which hasn't been the case under Trump, so I will give that as a benefit.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:36 AM, Patine said:

Even though this thread has gone sharply off from it's opening thread title (and, I fully admit, I had my hand in that phenomenon, despite myself), I'm going to say this about the opening thread post. Even though I still believe Trump's Presidential run was a PR stunt that succeeded despite his own expectations, and that he is NOT leadership or stateman material AT ALL, doesn't seem to understand many issues, has an embarrassment of a revolving door cabinet and flip-flopping policies, started trade wars out of nowhere as simply pissing matches that were not for the long-term benefit of consumers, workers, or companies, and the economic repercussions will likely come to haunt him (perhaps even doing in his re-election bid in 2020), and he has pretty much violated, shrugged, and abdicated his oath and duties of office by shutting down the government on a vain and impractical personal pet policy that wouldn't even do any REAL good for it's purpose (except to maybe, many, many years in the future, be a tourist attraction like Qin Shi Huangdi's equivalent), I will say that, it is very likely that, if Clinton had been elected President, there would not only be troops still in Afghanistan and Iraq indefinitely, but VERY possibly also U.S. (and whatever allies they could sucker in to join them) military intervention ON THE GROUND in Syria, Libya, and Korea, AT LEAST, which hasn't been the case under Trump, so I will give that as a benefit.

Trump has already backtracked on Syrian withdrawal as of today.  The troops in Afghanistan and elsewhere will be replaced/augmented with private military contractors, i.e. new versions of Blackwater.

Just now, Jayavarman said:

Trump has already backtracked on Syrian withdrawal as of today.  The troops in Afghanistan and elsewhere will be replaced with private military contractors, i.e. new versions of Blackwater.

Well then, to quote a line from Darth Vader in The Return of the Jedi, "his failure is now complete!"

It's just getting worse and worse. Now he's declaring a national emergency! Why, I don't know, but he truly is becoming a tyrant now!

17 minutes ago, Wiw said:

It's just getting worse and worse. Now he's declaring a national emergency! Why, I don't know, but he truly is becoming a tyrant now!

Well, despite your hyperbolic viewpoint, I feel many in the First World like to "cry wolf," or be melodramatic in calling out "tyranny." I mean, I hear all the time, "the EU is tyranny," "the U.S. Democratic Party is tyranny," "the U.S. Republican Party is tyranny," "Trump is a tyrant," "abolishing the EC would create tyranny of the majority," etc. In my day, I have talked to various people who have immigrated to Canada and have been candid and frank in discussing politics in the countries of origin who come from such nations as Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Uganda, Somalia, and Iraq. I know a 70+ Chilean man who had, in his younger days, been part of the insurgent army that fought against the bloody-handed and highly-oppressive military dictator, Augustin Pinoche, and the memory of being tortured for several days in a secret police detention facility still brings tears to his eyes, decades later. I also lived, in the neighbourhood I grew up in for most of my childhood and adolescence, a retired woman from Austria who I mowed her lawn and shoveled her sidewalks for some extra pocket money, and she told chilling stories of her childhood and adolescence in Vienna, notably between 1938 and 1945. I think, from hearing many of these stories, most people from the First World are, frankly, so pampered and insulated, with such a monumental sense of entitlement and just a weakly-limited comfort zone that they really have NO IDEA what true tyranny really is!

2 minutes ago, Wiw said:

So you don't see the US as descending into tyranny?

Not as rapidly and overtly as you do. All political systems have a tendency for entropy into corruption, abuse of power, and loss of focus of their founding vision, ideals, and guiding rules and laws, but you make Trump out to be a Hitler figure. Personally, other than several superficial similarities in their election campaigns, and their vane, almost comical-looking combovers, I see VERY little similarity between the two men. Next to nothing else in common, ultimately. And I don't believe that is Trump is clever, subtle, or ruthless enough, or has enough of a long-term vision outside his own image and publicity, to pull off ANYTHING even remotely similar to what Hitler did.

I see... I'm deeply sorry, I didn't mean for my impulse talk to cause difficulties between us. I mean I see the headline at the side of the Guardian web page and it's like, I gotta say something.

25 minutes ago, Wiw said:

I see... I'm deeply sorry, I didn't mean for my impulse talk to cause difficulties between us. I mean I see the headline at the side of the Guardian web page and it's like, I gotta say something.

What kind of headlines is the Guardian running nowadays? Have they abandoned their traditional high-brow but sharply-critical tone they've long been known for and resorted to screeching, incendiary, yellow-journalism headlines?

Not at all. In fact the last headline I saw on the issue was: "Trump leaves open option to declare national emergency: 'I may do it'"

You know, I just realised he had a cameo in Home Alone 2.

It's like... what happened? Tim Curry, save the day!!

5 hours ago, Wiw said:

You know, I just realised he had a cameo in Home Alone 2.

It's like... what happened? Tim Curry, save the day!!

Yes, he's been in the public eye, yapping his big mouth and saying stupid things, especially if cameras were recording it, since the very early '80's. He's not a "new" facet in American society and culture before the 2016 election - he had just never ran for office before.