270soft Forum
WVProgressive

George McGovern defeats Richard Nixon to win the presidency.

Ran a McGovern/Kennedy ticket against Nixon/Agnew, and to my suprise, won, despite a bleak outlook the week before election day.

McGovern.PNG.a0dabf73713b4b1b7dd79a18f53305e8.PNG

Also Schmitz did better than me in Idaho which is interesting.

Schimtz.PNG.65ff2b61ac2a1bcee736161d3a0cc7a0.PNG

Full results: America_came_home.csv

10 hours ago, POLITICALBOMB said:

How close were you to winning your home state?

Around 16,800 votes in South Dakota.

Well done! I haven't yet been able to beat 1972 as McGovern.

What was your strategy for winning?  Did you start from the primaries or the general election?

Schmitz's numbers in Idaho aren't too surprising - he got 9.3% there in real life (his best state result) and sadly that area - especially northern Idaho - is home to a lot of white supremacists and neo-Nazi hate groups.  Aryan Nations was based there, and I believe David Duke even had a radio show up there at one point.

https://patch.com/idaho/boise/idaho-most-hateful-state-us-analysis-hate-map-shows

http://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/post/legacy-hate-specter-north-idahos-past-still-haunts-region#stream/0

50 minutes ago, darkmoon72 said:

Did you start from the primaries or the general election?

I started in the general.

50 minutes ago, darkmoon72 said:

What was your strategy for winning? 

A lot of it was luck tbh, with the economy flatlining in the lead up to the election. My main themes were to hammer Nixon on his New Federalism, the continued war in Vietnam(the Kitty Hawk riot really help with that one), and I mixed in some attacks about the ERA, civil liberties, and unions, as for positives I emphasised McGovern's integrity, and went hard on Civil Rights in California. I was being hit with scandal after scandal thanks to Nixon's research stat being so high. I ran about 6 ads 4 were negative (1 on vietnam 2 on the great society and one on civil rights which backfired because McGovern was too not racist) and 2 were positive (integrity and the Great Society). I honestly think picking Kennedy is the only reason I had a shot at winning. In short hit Nixon on his two biggest weaknesses,Vietnam and the Great Society, pick Ted, and pray the economy flatlines.

1 hour ago, darkmoon72 said:

Schmitz's numbers in Idaho aren't too surprising - he got 9.3% there in real life (his best state result) and sadly that area - especially northern Idaho - is home to a lot of white supremacists and neo-Nazi hate groups.  Aryan Nations was based there, and I believe David Duke even had a radio show up there at one point.

Oh so everybody who hates non-whites is a racist now, so much for the tolerant left. I knew the plains states had a lot of far-right militias, but I never knew the "grand wizard" himself had a radio show.

1 hour ago, darkmoon72 said:

Well done! I haven't yet been able to beat 1972 as McGovern.

What's your best so far? It's probably easiest to win as a Kennedy/Humphrey ticket to be honest.

2 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Oh so everybody who hates non-whites is a racist now, so much for the tolerant left. I knew the plains states had a lot of far-right militias, but I never knew the "grand wizard" himself had a radio show.

I know a homecare worker from Boise whose husband is on veteran's assistance for chronic pain from an explosion gone bad in Afghanistan (that he fortunately actually survived), and has extensive coverage herself for cystic fibrosis medication and treatment so she can actually get up do her own job, and she speaks of Northern Idaho as though it were a "completely different Idaho," but has never gone into detail as to why she feels that way.

2 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Oh so everybody who hates non-whites is a racist now, so much for the tolerant left.

Not really sure if this is meant as serious, a joke, or sarcasm, but yes, anyone out there who hates non-white people is, by definition, racist.

I have no idea what the "tolerant left" is supposed to be.  Speaking for myself, I don't tolerate the intolerant.

3 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

What's your best so far? It's probably easiest to win as a Kennedy/Humphrey ticket to be honest.

My Kennedy/McGovern ticket narrowly won the election, but lost the popular vote.  I haven't been able to top this result yet.

1972-EMK-wins-loses-PV.jpg.8f55126e1bd2d6193ed799837adcb201.jpg

5 minutes ago, darkmoon72 said:

Not really sure if this is meant as serious, a joke, or sarcasm, but yes, anyone out there who hates non-white people is, by definition, racist.

I have no idea what the "tolerant left" is supposed to be.  Speaking for myself, I don't tolerate the intolerant.

That was very much sarcasm (but then again I wouldn't be surprised to see someone claim that unironically), and "tolerant left" is a phrase used by people who try to claim that if you think trans people are the gender they say they are, or that interracial relationships are fine, that means you need to respect their beliefs that black people have a crime bone in their brain. 

12 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

That was very much sarcasm (but then again I wouldn't be surprised to see someone claim that unironically), and "tolerant left" is a phrase used by people who try to claim that if you think trans people are the gender they say they are, or that interracial relationships are fine, that means you need to respect their beliefs that black people have a crime bone in their brain. 

Gotcha.  Thanks for the explanation.  Sorry, I'm not always the best at detecting sarcasm.