270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hestia11

2019 UK Election

Election Year in the UK begins as Theresa May loses a no confidence vote began by Labour (fiction, but for the sake of the game will be acting as if real). With the backing of the SNP, Lib Dems, and crucially some rebel Tories, a new general election has been called. MP Emily Thornberry forced the vote, and took over as leader of Labour, triumphing over Corbyn in a vote of 138-119. She leads Labour into a General Election with perhaps her ability to become PM on the line.

A major boost for MP Thornberry in the week of Christmas, Labour has got to be feeling excited. About 13% of the population remains undecided, but Labour has inched just 1 percent below the Conservatives. In Scotland, Labour's mood is jubilant as they race to catch the SNP in seats. The last week the Conservatives took it on the chin as Labour's projected seats increased by 30. 

An awful week of polling if you're anyone but Labour. The SNP is on track to be trounced by Labour in Scotland. They stand at just 11 seats. The Conservatives are suffering nationwide, with Labour now being projected to enter into a minority government. A lot of seats are still undecided.

Labour continues its gains under Thornberry's leadership. Seat projection is just shy of 326, whereas they have a clear cut majority in Scotland. Will she be able to utterly destroy the SNP in its current form? 

Horrible predictions for the SNP as it looks like they're only likely to keep SIX seats. Labour is now projected to win a clear majority under would-be PM Thornberry. She is hinting at overtures to making people run in Northern Ireland.

52 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Election Year in the UK begins as Theresa May loses a no confidence vote began by Labour (fiction, but for the sake of the game will be acting as if real). With the backing of the SNP, Lib Dems, and crucially some rebel Tories, a new general election has been called. MP Emily Thornberry forced the vote, and took over as leader of Labour, triumphing over Corbyn in a vote of 138-119. She leads Labour into a General Election with perhaps her ability to become PM on the line.

I only have one real nitpicking note. It seems highly unusual in a Westminster system (living in one, myself) for a party that has just successfully and triumphantly brought down a government in a vote of no-confidence that they tabled to right after hold a leadership convention against the wishes of the sitting leader. I'm just pointing out this is not at all a normal occurrence in the Westminster political scheme.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I only have one real nitpicking note. It seems highly unusual in a Westminster system (living in one, myself) for a party that has just successfully and triumphantly brought down a government in a vote of no-confidence that they tabled to right after hold a leadership convention against the wishes of the sitting leader. I'm just pointing out this is not at all a normal occurrence in the Westminster political scheme.

I know. It's just for fun. :)

It's the eve of election night and many are holding their breaths. Nicola Sturgeon's SNP and the Conservatives in particular are hoping for a better night than forecasted. Many are still forecasting the SNP to be hovering about 10 seats, where the Conservatives are at about 250. Labour's forays into Northern Ireland gained little traction, but their sizeable 10% is nothing to scoff at.

Election Night 2019 for the UK is over. Thornberry's Labour gained roughly 90 seats, with the Conservatives losing 65+ and the SNP losing over 25. The final results are as standing

Labour (Governing Majority) - 355 Seats

Conservatives (Main Opposition) - 250 Seats

Lib Dems - 16 Seats

SNP - 8 Seats

Sinn Fein- 7 Seats

DUP - 6 Seats

Ulster Unionists - 3 Seats

Greens - 2 Seats

Plaid Cymru - 1 Seat

Alliance/SDLP - 1 Each

UKIP- 0 (3.5% popular vote)

The main surprise seen here was the battering of the DUP.  The Ulster Unionists gained quite a bit by Labour forcing themselves into Northern Ireland. Labour ended out with 10.2% in North-East Northern Ireland and 13% in South-West Northern Ireland. In Scotland, the Labour party edged out Sturgeon's SNP in the Northern section while crushing them in the Southern portion. Labour came within 4 points of knocking off DUP MP David Simpson in the Northern portion, their closest result.

image.png.4e1ff2dd143e8dbe1166a96386a92805.png