270soft Forum
vcczar

George H. W. Bush has died.

The first Bush died. I am a little mixed about him as a president and as a person. He was the better President Bush, however. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The first Bush died. I am a little mixed about him as a president and as a person. He was the better President Bush, however. 

I think he was a better person as President than before hand. He WAS a Director of the CIA, a job not for wholesome, moral people, and there is strong evidence of him plotting the attempted assassination of Reagan while he was VP (the assassin was the son of a friend and neighbour of the Bushes in Midland, Texas), and there is also evidence he had a stronger hand, along with North, than Reagan himself, in the Iran-Contra Scandal. But a lot of this remains speculation.

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, he and I obviously disagree on policy; but I sincerely felt every action he took was for to improve the nation and not just for himself. And his resume! Easily up there with Jefferson's in how strong it is!

• College World Series Champion.
  • Youngest Naval pilot during WW2.
  • Become the first Republican to represent within the Greater Houston area
  • Ambassador to the UN
  • Chairman of the RNC
  • Envoy to the People's Republic of China
  • Director of the CIA
  • Vice President

6 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Presidents in the US have a tendency to be less and less great in their mandates, especially since Bill Clinton

The 1996's and beyond have been an honest hellhole for America.

I can't say I'll miss him, though I do feel for his family.

Rest in Peace.

1 hour ago, NYConservative said:

I can't believe I agree with you on something. It has been.

The time frame you give roughly corresponds with the era of the Gingrich-led Contract with America, which arguably is the reigning influence on American Conservatism, both for the populist base and the dying establishment. 

I really wanted to like Bush, but the MeToo movement sort of ruined that for me. This is the same case with Al Franken for me. He was a better president than most one-term presidents, however. I also think, had Clinton not been the nominee (charismatic), and Perot not have run, that he probably would have been narrowly reelected. 

2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I disagree. Grass is always greener.

How old were you in 1996? 

7 hours ago, NYConservative said:

I really want to disagree, but between: Gingrich, 9/11, two wars, a major recession and so on...its hard to say life after 1996 was great for the US. 

When you see that today Far-Left Gillum can be Democratic candidate for Florida and that Republicans in Alabama can put some dangerous Right-Wing judge as candidate to replace Sessions.

America has no longer any open debate today, only 2 clashs and it grew up more and more from 2000 to today

I don't agree with his politics, but man, he was a more honorable man than most

3 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I disagree. Grass is always greener.

Your lack of perspective, proportion, and context is so completely off and askew. And then, you tell people who objectively know better about certain situations from experience that their wrong in their statements compared to yours. Like the time you told me, as though you actually empirically knew better yourself, that I was wrong, a indeed Ronald Reagan HAD received JUST as much constant, intrusive, pernicious, tiresome, endless, and banal media attention, focus, doting, and day-in-and-day-out news stories on every little thing as Trump, and there's "no possible way a President like Reagan" could have been otherwise, and I was wrong. Or, like the time you said that media overexposure in general was something "that's always been there," and that I was whining about nothing, again, as though you empirically knew better than me. Well, you were very wrong. And you're view of pre- and post-1996 is also very wrong. Like I said, you utterly lack perspective, proportion, and context, and can't even accept that fact as being remotely possible, itself, either.

I feel something positive in the last words of Bush father to his son "I love you too"

It shows that wether good or wrong politicians can be, wathever the mistakes they could have done, something human stays in the profoundess of their soul

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Your lack of perspective, proportion, and context is so completely off and askew. And then, you tell people who objectively know better about certain situations from experience that their wrong in their statements compared to yours. Like the time you told me, as though you actually empirically knew better yourself, that I was wrong, a indeed Ronald Reagan HAD received JUST as much constant, intrusive, pernicious, tiresome, endless, and banal media attention, focus, doting, and day-in-and-day-out news stories on every little thing as Trump, and there's "no possible way a President like Reagan" could have been otherwise, and I was wrong. Or, like the time you said that media overexposure in general was something "that's always been there," and that I was whining about nothing, again, as though you empirically knew better than me. Well, you were very wrong. And you're view of pre- and post-1996 is also very wrong. Like I said, you utterly lack perspective, proportion, and context, and can't even accept that fact as being remotely possible, itself, either.

Guess y'all can't have any opinions on FDR, since you weren't alive then, or North Korea, since you don't live there. 

And everything that's happening now has happened before. Nothing in politics is new. If y'all wanna call this time of American history a "hellhole" because "orange bad man is president and says mean things wah" you are literally forgetting that this country at one point was split in two and shot at each other, and that we had concentration camps on our own soil. But sure, this period in time is a hellhole because the GOP won the Presidency 2-1 since 2000 and I can't have an opinion because I somehow can't comprehend events that happened 7 years before my birth. Not trying to be disrespectful or anything, but the US has been the best place to live in since at least Obama's second term, to today.

14 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Guess y'all can't have any opinions on FDR, since you weren't alive then, or North Korea, since you don't live there. 

And everything that's happening now has happened before. Nothing in politics is new. If y'all wanna call this time of American history a "hellhole" because "orange bad man is president and says mean things wah" you are literally forgetting that this country at one point was split in two and shot at each other, and that we had concentration camps on our own soil. But sure, this period in time is a hellhole because the GOP won the Presidency 2-1 since 2000 and I can't have an opinion because I somehow can't comprehend events that happened 7 years before my birth. Not trying to be disrespectful or anything, but the US has been the best place to live in since at least Obama's second term, to today.

You completely missed the point of all that was said, turned the whole statement into something utterly off kilter, and, have tried to turn everything said into NOTHING more than a PERSONAL attack Donald Trump ALONE - probably deliberately knowing this attempted turn of rhetoric is completely inaccurate, misleading, and deceptive (and transparently so), but believing it MAY make your points look more valid (and trying to make everything look like it's ALL ABOUT nothing but dogpiling Trump and NOTHING ELSE feeds the ego and cult of personality of your personal idol, as well) - and this exact type of attempt (and a clumsy attempt, at that) at turnaround is something you've done here before. Also, for the record, the negative aspects of the post-1996 era (I, personally, didn't use the word "Hellhole," for it - thank-you for shoving it in my mouth :() was not specifically comparatively ACROSS THE BOARD, only to my personal life beforehand, and I had never said there were not worse periods - in fact, there were FAR worse periods - in U.S., and world history, as a whole. Also, your view "that nothing really changes and nothing new happens in history," is mostly a deconstructionist, fatalistic, jondhist, even close to nihilistic view of the world that lacks a true, in-depth, academic study of history, but are satisfied with a superficial and even stereotyped one to come to such a conclusion.

On 12/2/2018 at 1:10 PM, Patine said:

You completely missed the point of all that was said, turned the whole statement into something utterly off kilter, and, have tried to turn everything said into NOTHING more than a PERSONAL attack Donald Trump ALONE - probably deliberately knowing this attempted turn of rhetoric is completely inaccurate, misleading, and deceptive (and transparently so), but believing it MAY make your points look more valid (and trying to make everything look like it's ALL ABOUT nothing but dogpiling Trump and NOTHING ELSE feeds the ego and cult of personality of your personal idol, as well) - and this exact type of attempt (and a clumsy attempt, at that) at turnaround is something you've done here before. Also, for the record, the negative aspects of the post-1996 era (I, personally, didn't use the word "Hellhole," for it - thank-you for shoving it in my mouth :() was not specifically comparatively ACROSS THE BOARD, only to my personal life beforehand, and I had never said there were not worse periods - in fact, there were FAR worse periods - in U.S., and world history, as a whole. Also, your view "that nothing really changes and nothing new happens in history," is mostly a deconstructionist, fatalistic, jondhist, even close to nihilistic view of the world that lacks a true, in-depth, academic study of history, but are satisfied with a superficial and even stereotyped one to come to such a conclusion.

Give me one thing happening in the world today that hasn't happened before. World leaders who were controversial and said anything they wanted? Happened. Threat of total nuclear annihilation? Always been there. Fake news? Yellow journalism.

17 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Give me one thing happening in the world today that hasn't happened before. World leaders who were controversial and said anything they wanted? Happened. Threat of total nuclear annihilation? Always been there. Fake news? Yellow journalism.

People debating garbage like this in mass numbers, sharing stupid videos, spamming dubious newsfeeds, and flaming each other day in and day out, by the millions, instantly, was NOT happening AT ALL when I was in primary or secondary school or at any time before!

21 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Heads of state, professional athletes, celebrities, etc., while they were well-known and notably often appeared on television, did the get the daily minutia of detail treatment and were not constantly doted upon and harped on and scrutinized several times a day, at least, during their period of "relevance," and there weren't these constant annoying "opinion panels" all the time with arbitrarily-selected celebrity and former celebrity being asked to inexplicably "weigh in" on everything when I was in primary and secondary. Even though you refused to believe me when I first told (even your stand in evidence compared to mine is highly dubious), even Ronald Reagan's level of media exposure was absolutely DWARFED by Trump's, or even Obama's.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

People debating garbage like this in mass numbers, sharing stupid videos, spamming dubious newsfeeds, and flaming each other day in and day out, by the millions, instantly, was NOT happening AT ALL when I was in primary or secondary school or at any time before!

debating garbage:all politics

sharing stupid videos, spamming dubious newsfeeds, and flaming each other day in and day out: Some families dinner tables back in the day.