270soft Forum
jnewt

Democratic Primary Poll (November 2018)

2020 Democratic Primary  

23 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. If the 2020 Democratic primaries were held today, which candidate would you vote for?

• Kamala Harris
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Joe Biden
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • Cory Booker
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Julian Castro
    • Steve Bullock
    • Sherrod Brown
    • Beto O'Rourke
    • Michael Bloomberg
    • Kirsten Gillibrand
    • Undecided/not listed
    • I would not vote in the Democratic Primary
  2. 2. Which of the following Democratic candidates are you considering voting for in the Democratic Primary?

• Kamala Harris
    • Elizabeth Warren
    • Joe Biden
    • Amy Klobuchar
    • Cory Booker
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Julian Castro
    • Steve Bullock
    • Sherrod Brown
    • Beto O'Rourke
    • Michael Bloomberg
    • Kirsten Gillibrand
    • I'm not considering voting for any of these candidates, but I am considering voting for a different Democratic candidate not listed
    • I'm not considering voting for any of these candidates and will not vote in the Democratic Primary

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2018 at 04:59 AM

-Bernie

-Bernie,Warren,Biden,Beto,Booker,Brown,Kamala.

I'll vote for any of the Democrats in the General Election. In the Primaries, I support Beto O'Rourke the most, even though I'm probably more similar to Sanders. I just think Sanders is too old. I also like Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren. Bloomberg is my least favorite on this list. Overall, I just want whoever increases our odds of beating Trump in 2020. 

12 hours ago, jnewt said:

Although I am ineligible to vote in any U.S. election (and was actually very thankful for that in 2016, when I neither to had to bear the responsibility of giving my vote to one corrupt, lying monster or the other in the GE, make a protest vote whose protest would not be noticed by the corrupt, rigged electoral machine, or be excoriated for shrugging my civic duty for not voting), I have to admit, that even though they're brought up often, I'm still not familiar enough with candidates like Klobuchar, Booker, Castro, Bullock, and Brown to say whether or not I would, if I hypothetically were able to vote, give any support for them.

I'm probably going to vote in the Republican primary for Larry Hogan if he runs, since VA has open primaries. I'm willing to look into voting for any important Republican candidate running against Trump as long as it's not Flake or Blankenship.

5 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

I'm probably going to vote in the Republican primary for Larry Hogan if he runs, since VA has open primaries. I'm willing to look into voting for any important Republican candidate running against Trump as long as it's not Flake or Blankenship.

Why are you opposed to Flake? I can see an opposition to Blankenship. 

I'd vote Sanders, even though I actually don't think he should run due to his age, I'd feel obligated to vote for him since I was too young to vote for him in the 2016 primaries (by only a few months at that).

But if he doesn't run, Brown or Gillibrand is who I'd look to support from this list

10 minutes ago, MysteryKnight said:

I'd vote Sanders, even though I actually don't think he should run due to his age, I'd feel obligated to vote for him since I was too young to vote for him in the 2016 primaries (by only a few months at that).

But if he doesn't run, Brown or Gillibrand is who I'd look to support from this list

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'll vote for any of the Democrats in the General Election. In the Primaries, I support Beto O'Rourke the most, even though I'm probably more similar to Sanders. I just think Sanders is too old. I also like Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren. Bloomberg is my least favorite on this list. Overall, I just want whoever increases our odds of beating Trump in 2020. 

Konrad Adenauer, the first post-WW2 Chancellor of West Germany, ran for the first time in 1949 at a slightly older age than Trump, Biden, or Sanders. He was then re-elected two or three more times, and was a quite decent Chancellor in terms of rebuilding the country economically, politically, and industrially and regaining international credential (even establishing full diplomatic relations with Israel in a treaty with Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion), even if he was socially a bit too staid for my tastes (he also was one of the co-founders and the first Federal leader of the CDU as a party in Germany). My point here is that I don't necessarily think that age alone should be an automatic disqualifier for a candidate.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

He voted with trump 84 percent of the time if you support Flake what that says to me is that you like the warmongering, and homophobia, and racism, but don't like how flagrant Trump is with it, now maybe you don't but, really supporting Flake is no better than just supporting a more competent Trump. 

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Trump wasn't a Senator - how could Flake have voted with Trump 84% of the time?

This is where I got that percentage: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/jeff-flake/ 

11 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

He voted with trump 84 percent of the time if you support Flake what that says to me is that you like the warmongering, and homophobia, and racism, but don't like how flagrant Trump is with it, now maybe you don't but, really supporting Flake is no better than just supporting a more competent Trump. 

I don’t think there is an anti-Trump Republican voting with Trump less than 80% of the time. By this argument, every Republican.  Is a more competent, less fragrant racist, bigot, and warmonger. 

20 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don’t think there is an anti-Trump Republican voting with Trump less than 80% of the time. By this argument, every Republican.  Is a more competent, less fragrant racist, bigot, and warmonger. 

Ding-Ding-Ding, it's almost as if the republican party is bad and you shouldn't support them if you claim to support rights for anyone who's not a straight white wealthy cisgendered-man. Just because Trump says the quiet part out loud doesn't mean Flake and Kasich don't massively agree with the quiet part, they just know they can't say it out loud (yet)

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

There really aren't any actual "anti-Trump" Republicans in Congress. They're all talk. Flake is a prime example. The man has no backbone. How can you portray yourself as anti-Trump when you agree with the man more than 4 out of 5 times?

To be fair, they're all part of the same party they all have some differences but fairly all follow the same ideological path. When they're called "anti-Trump" it's usually in reference to them standing up or speaking out against Trump on some of his controversial ideas, or actions. Though I do completely agree Flake is flaky when it comes to his threats against Trump. (made a joke :P)

On 11/24/2018 at 9:27 PM, vcczar said:

His opposition to Trump's worst policies were limited only to statements at best, and complete silence at worst. He never did anything to stop terrible proposals like the AHCA - McCain sank that by actually doing something. Flake only makes meaningless gestures that appear to be taking a stand but do little more than get him in the news and he'll vote with Trump anyway. It's definitely pretty telling that Flake only votes against Trump's interests when the bill is going to pass/fail regardless of his vote, but when it comes down to his position he'll always just side with his party.

Kinda crazy that the 2020 election will be the first of which im legally allowed to vote. Is it true that if you're a registered independent you can vote in both primaries? Or am I mistaken

17 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Kinda crazy that the 2020 election will be the first of which im legally allowed to vote. Is it true that if you're a registered independent you can vote in both primaries? Or am I mistaken

If you live in a state with open primaries, you can vote in either primary, but never both. If you live in a state with closed primaries, you wouldn't be able to vote in either primary.

12 minutes ago, jnewt said:

If you live in a state with open primaries, you can vote in either primary, but never both. If you live in a state with closed primaries, you wouldn't be able to vote in either primary.

What if you live in a state WITHOUT open primaries, but you don't belong to a political party? Note, that I personal believe the primaries for the two major parties - but not Third Parties - being run and regulated by the electoral commissions that run the general elections is a malfeasance, bias, even corruption, in electoral law - as the selection of party nominees and leaders should not be managed by national government electoral organizations and laws proper, because it merges, or at least blurs, the dominant parties with the government in a way to the exclusion of candidates outside the major parties in a way comparable, legally and institutionally, to Communist and Fascist regimes. Political parties should select their nominees and leaders entirely separate from such institutional blurring, like they do in EVERY OTHER First World nation. I believe @jvikings1 had at some point expressed a concurrent opinion.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

What if you live in a state WITHOUT open primaries, but you don't belong to a political party? Note, that I personal believe the primaries for the two major parties - but not Third Parties - being run and regulated by the electoral commissions that run the general elections is a malfeasance, bias, even corruption, in electoral law - as the selection of party nominees and leaders should not be managed by national government electoral organizations and laws proper, because it merges, or at least blurs, the dominant parties with the government in a way to the exclusion of candidates outside the major parties in a way comparable, legally and institutionally, to Communist and Fascist regimes. Political parties should select their nominees and leaders entirely separate from such institutional blurring, like they do in EVERY OTHER First World nation. I believe @jvikings1 had at some point expressed a concurrent opinion.

Correct. In KY, you have to be registered with a party to vote in a party's primary.  However, the state still pays for the electoral costs.  It's my opinion that the state should get out of the primary system and allow the parties to hold their primary elections as they see fit without the state subsidizing them.

11 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Correct. In KY, you have to be registered with a party to vote in a party's primary.  However, the state still pays for the electoral costs.  It's my opinion that the state should get out of the primary system and allow the parties to hold their primary elections as they see fit without the state subsidizing them.

Here in Canada, each party has a "nominating convention" for each constituency, Federal and Provincial, they plan on running a candidate. These conventions are completely run by the party, many of whom charge fees or dues of party members to vote in. And, they aren't required to instantly cough up each other's convention registers to check for those voting for multiple parties - they have to keep their own discipline. I believe the UK has something similar.

1. Bernie Sanders

2. All of them except Bloomberg and Gillibrand may get my vote in the primary. 

I wish there was also an option for "I'm considering these candidates and someone else too".  My own Senator Chris Murphy is thinking of running, I'd give him serious consideration.  I know there are a few others - Hickenlooper, Steyer, Holder, McAuliffe, Patrick, Cuomo, Landrieu, Swalwell, Garcetti, O'Malley, Newsom, and the potential "celebrity" candidates like Oprah, Dwayne Johnson, and Mark Cuban are being talked about as well.  Of all these, I'm also seriously considering Gavin Newsom, if he runs.