270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kingthero

Defining Integrity

I had to read this article in one of my college classes, and I thought this would bring some more light on how we view a politician's 'integrity'.

http://seminr125g-02-sp15-chandler.wikispaces.umb.edu/file/view/Insufficiency of Honesty.pdf/537168824/Insufficiency of Honesty.pdf

In summary, the article defines the many loopholes to the value of integrity, especially the fact that honesty does not equal integrity. Three simple steps are the general representation of one's integrity: the ability to discern from right or wrong, the actual act of acting on such knowledge even with personal consequences, and the ability to state why you believe something is right or wrong.

@vcczar I think this would help you view candidate's individual integrities in your 2020 campaign.

I would see a lot of politicians shift integrity according to this. Politicians like Bernie Sanders would have a very high integrity, as he has basically completed those three steps, while others will drop. I think that having this article as a process of determining integrity would help a lot.

1 minute ago, Kingthero said:

I had to read this article in one of my college classes, and I thought this would bring some more light on how we view a politician's 'integrity'.

http://seminr125g-02-sp15-chandler.wikispaces.umb.edu/file/view/Insufficiency of Honesty.pdf/537168824/Insufficiency of Honesty.pdf

In summary, the article defines the many loopholes to the value of integrity, especially the fact that honesty does not equal integrity. Three simple steps are the general representation of one's integrity: the ability to discern from right or wrong, the actual act of acting on such knowledge even with personal consequences, and the ability to state why you believe something is right or wrong.

@vcczar I think this would help you view candidate's individual integrities in your 2020 campaign.

I would see a lot of politicians shift integrity according to this. Politicians like Bernie Sanders would have a very high integrity, as he has basically completed those three steps, while others will drop. I think that having this article as a process of determining integrity would help a lot.

I think the term "loopholes" is an ironic definition feature for a quality like Integrity, but this definition does have a degree of merit, certainly.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think the term "loopholes" is an ironic definition feature for a quality like Integrity, but this definition does have a degree of merit, certainly.

Well, another way I could have defined it would be "stereotypical assumptions", as that was more my angle of how people wrongfully assume the relation between honesty and integrity.