270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ido

Israel's Government has collapsed, early elections imminent

so, like the title says, Binyamin Netanyahu's government has collapsed after The Jewish Home left his coalition thus leaving his coalition without the majority of seats in the Knesset, this results in an early election, also Netanyahu is in a very bad position right now, he is bellow average in the polls and his relations with Yisrael Beitenu and The Jewish Home (usual coalition partners) is now pretty bad.

I have no idea what will happen

25 minutes ago, Ido said:

so, like the title says, Binyamin Netanyahu's government has collapsed after The Jewish Home left his coalition thus leaving his coalition without the majority of seats in the Knesset, this results in an early election, also Netanyahu is in a very bad position right now, he is bellow average in the polls and his relations with Yisrael Beitenu and The Jewish Home (usual coalition partners) is now pretty bad.

Hopefully the Worst PM in Israel's history gets the boot...

33 minutes ago, Ido said:

Actually he is polling right at the last election's results (but twice the margin due to more fractured support elsewhere).  Jewish home is expected to pick up some seats, so they might have more bargaining power in negotiations after an election.  Yisrael Beiteinu is also expected to gain which would probably help them as well.  Plus opinion polls for preferred PM are kassively in favor of Netanyahu.

yeah i know, but after all that Lieberman stuff, I have no idea if he will be able to form a coalition even if he wins the plurality

Just now, Ido said:

yeah i know, but after all that Lieberman stuff, I have no idea if he will be able to form a coalition even if he wins the plurality

Well, good riddance. Maybe a more sensible PM like Rabin was will replace him.

oh, my bad, the choices aren't that bright to be honest, the Zionist Union is led by a CEO of an ISP and 2nd place is Yesh Atid, a centrist party that supports economical liberalism
@Patine

1 minute ago, Ido said:

oh, my bad, the choices aren't that bright to be honest, the Zionist Union is led by a CEO of an ISP and 2nd place is Yesh Atid, a centrist party that supports economical liberalism
@Patine

Well, then maybe I'll back Atid. If economics is a priority for him, he might devote a lot of time to currying back investment from corporations that boycotted Israel because of Netanyahu's war mongering and war crimes, which would be very productive.

@Patine Lapid (Yesh Atid's leader) was a TV personality and a Journalist until about 2013,  he is an opponent of the BDS movement, who want to economically isolate Israel, he seems like a good candidate to unite the Centrists while Netanyahu slides ever to the right

1 minute ago, Ido said:

@Patine Lapid (Yesh Atid's leader) was a TV personality and a Journalist until about 2013,  he is an opponent of the BDS movement, who want to economically isolate Israel, he seems like a good candidate to unite the Centrists while Netanyahu slides ever to the right

I want Netanyahu out of office. He's slipping rapidly to almost becoming LIKE (notice again, a comparative) a latter-day member of the Stern Gang, if he's allowed to stay in power too much longer...

@Patine even though he is a right winger, i think you're overplaying his madness, he is not a dove nor a hawk, he wants armed neutrality in the middle east, i mean, he doesn't spark conflicts himself, but he sure does fight when he's attacked, the commando raid that started the recent conflict was from an IDF recommendation, who probably didn't think that this would escalate so quickly, as you can see, Netanyahu quickly reached a ceasefire, which is a pretty good thing, sure, it seems like a power move to brag about having no Israeli deaths, but hey, at least we didn't lose 70 soldiers like in 2014

1 minute ago, Ido said:

@Patine even though he is a right winger, i think you're overplaying his madness, he is not a dove nor a hawk, he wants armed neutrality in the middle east, i mean, he doesn't spark conflicts himself, but he sure does fight when he's attacked, the commando raid that started the recent conflict was from an IDF recommendation, who probably didn't think that this would escalate so quickly, as you can see, Netanyahu quickly reached a ceasefire, which is a pretty good thing, sure, it seems like a power move to brag about having no Israeli deaths, but hey, at least we didn't lose 70 soldiers like in 2014

His casus belli for military action are often very flimsy and overplayed.

@Patine yes I know, but Netanyahu is leading a pretty unstable coalition (or was leading) he wants to appease to the right wingers who are unfortunately quite the hawks, for example, his defence minister who just resigned, was the leader of the Nationalist Yisrael Beitenu party, Netanyahu is quite the moderate among his coalition

7 minutes ago, Ido said:

@Patine yes I know, but Netanyahu is leading a pretty unstable coalition (or was leading) he wants to appease to the right wingers who are unfortunately quite the hawks, for example, his defence minister who just resigned, was the leader of the Nationalist Yisrael Beitenu party, Netanyahu is quite the moderate among his coalition

But he is good at feeding the BS to his allied countries to keep the money, arms, and diplomatic support flowing. His statement in his address to the U.S. Congress that he "spoke for ALL Jews in the WORLD," didn't sit well with California Senator Diane Feinstein, sitting and listening, and she made that very clear at a press release shortly afterward. The statement was also the height of audacity and arrogance, especially when he can't even command a commanding majority in Israel's Knesset.

I for once don't support Netanyahu, I'm just saying that he isn't a psychopath or a madman @Patine

1 minute ago, Ido said:

I for once don't support Netanyahu, I'm just saying that he isn't a psychopath or a madman @Patine

Perhaps not. But his appeasement of much more radical and bloodthirsty individuals and groups to keep his coalition together does reflect upon him, if one step removed. Otto von Bismarck, for instance was a diplomat at heart, and disagreed with creating a colonial empire for Imperial Germany or making committed military alliances. But, in many cases, his hands became tied, and his legacy became more militant in nature to casual historians because of that.

You're very, very correct, I'm saying that Netanyahu knows that his only potential allies are the right wingers, and the right wingers are unfortunately, hawks so he has to appease those individuals. @Patine

15 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Netanyahu isn't a sociopath but he's stupid, just like the rest of their country. And our country for allowing us to be extorted by them.

Mind, Saudi Arabia doing a lot better job at extortion of money and arms for a lot more often brutal causes, relatively speaking, you must admit. These are what they call in life counselling "toxic friends," but on a national level.

@ThePotatoWalrus @Patine Israel is not stupid, its government was in a precarious position of appeasement since 2015, you cannot just say "this entire country is stupid" just because Netanyahu did something that is considered arrogant, he is a politician after all, the man called an election once because he was high in the polls and wanted to gain more seats

14 hours ago, Patine said:

Mind, Saudi Arabia doing a lot better job at extortion of money and arms for a lot more often brutal causes, relatively speaking, you must admit. These are what they call in life counselling "toxic friends," but on a national level.

Same with Afghanistan as well. It's sad.

5 hours ago, Ido said:

@ThePotatoWalrus @Patine Israel is not stupid, its government was in a precarious position of appeasement since 2015, you cannot just say "this entire country is stupid" just because Netanyahu did something that is considered arrogant, he is a politician after all, the man called an election once because he was high in the polls and wanted to gain more seats

I didn't use the word "stupid" (even though @ThePotatoWalrus did). I just greatly disagree with Netanyahu, and ESPECIALLY the coalition members in how they've handled things in the region AS MUCH I disagree with Hamas and Hezbollah's tactics and approach. I made no comment on any leader's intelligence, so please don't lump all of my comments in with @ThePotatoWalrus's by default.

ok ok, the stupid part was not about your comment, it was about PotatoWalrus', my bad

On 11/16/2018 at 9:45 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Netanyahu isn't a sociopath but he's stupid, just like the rest of their country. And our country for allowing us to be extorted by them.

He said he'd ween Israel off US aid in the 90's but never got around to it *sigh*