270soft Forum
vcczar

2020 Candidates (Who is running)

19 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I agree that O'Rourke should be off. Most Democrats would have supported him would he have won in Texas - but now, I don't see him gaining ground. A US Rep. has rarely been elected to the Presidency, and I think the party would keep that in mind. His support would be lower than a former cabinet official, senator, or governor. 

I do remind you the man in the White House right now had NO previous elected office of any sort, nor even any previous SERIOUS attempt at running for election, not even at the municipal level...

21 minutes ago, Patine said:

I do remind you the man in the White House right now had NO previous elected office of any sort, nor even any previous SERIOUS attempt at running for election, not even at the municipal level...

In that you are correct. Democrats are fundamentally different in what they want for President, however. The electorates are varied, as they should be. 

6 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

In that you are correct. Democrats are fundamentally different in what they want for President, however. The electorates are varied, as they should be. 

And too firmly relied and leaned up, without serious attempt by either party to adapt or evolve in more productive ways. The Liberal Party of Canada went from a centre-right, free-trade, banker's party at Confederation, to a centrist party, to a Canadian independent assertion (as opposed to the staunch "British Dominionism" of the Conservatives at that same time" to the "world trade and player" role under Chretien, to a more centre-left, modern liberal, changing organically with the times remaining, in the long scope of the Canadian history arc, ahead of the Conservatives (every official leader of the Federal Liberal Party, not including interim or unofficial leaders, but three in all of Canadian history, became PM at least once, a record the Conservatives fall GREATLY short of). While I am NOT a staunch party loyalist for the Liberals, or an unbending apologist or frothing mouthpiece for them (in fact, I've only voted for them once in my life, in 2015, and only because Harper had to, Mulcair was so corrupt and horrid, and there was no minor party protest vote potential in my constituency I could live with choosing), they've adapted remarkably in their appeal more rapidly and organically than the two U.S. Parties you only tend to seriously change and realign when the "Numbered Party System" in political reckoning changes.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

And too firmly relied and leaned up, without serious attempt by either party to adapt or evolve in more productive ways. The Liberal Party of Canada went from a centre-right, free-trade, banker's party at Confederation, to a centrist party, to a Canadian independent assertion (as opposed to the staunch "British Dominionism" of the Conservatives at that same time" to the "world trade and player" role under Chretien, to a more centre-left, modern liberal, changing organically with the times remaining, in the long scope of the Canadian history arc, ahead of the Conservatives (every official leader of the Federal Liberal Party, not including interim or unofficial leaders, but three in all of Canadian history, became PM at least once, a record the Conservatives fall GREATLY short of). While I am NOT a staunch party loyalist for the Liberals, or an unbending apologist or frothing mouthpiece for them (in fact, I've only voted for them once in my life, in 2015, and only because Harper had to, Mulcair was so corrupt and horrid, and there was no minor party protest vote potential in my constituency I could live with choosing), they've adapted remarkably in their appeal more rapidly and organically than the two U.S. Parties you only tend to seriously change and realign when the "Numbered Party System" in political reckoning changes.

Canadian politics is much more interesting than ours.

18 hours ago, jnewt said:

I can't believe this is actually (still) on his site...

This is still there too lmao

avenattipunch.png