270soft Forum
vcczar

2020: Trump vs. US Reps

Would You Support one of these US Reps over Trump in the 2020 Presidential Election?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for in 2020? Rep. John Delaney of MD or Trump? [Delaney is the only major Democrat declared for 2020]

• Trump
    • Delaney
    • Who is Delaney? I'd have to do more research.
  2. 2. Who would you vote for in 2020? Rep. Eric Swalwell of CA or Trump? [Swalwell is only 37-years-old. Sources say he's running.]

• Trump
    • Swalwell
    • Who is Swalwell? I'd have to do more research.
  3. 3. Who would you vote for in 2020? Rep. Beto O'Rourke of TX or Trump? [O'Rourke nearly upset Ted Cruz in the Senate race. He's being urged to run.]

• Trump
    • O'Rourke
    • Who is O'Rourke? I'd have to do more research.

New poll

24 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Do you think O'Rourke is now one of the top contenders for Dems in 2020 at this point?

I would say hes in the bottom of the second tier (The ones that are below the heavyweights) Probably where Kasich was at the beginning. He would at the least win one state.

41 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I'm sure O'Rourke's campaign upset Cruz significantly in various ways, but I think you meant to write something like 'narrowly lost to Cruz'. ;)

I meant "nearly" 

37 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Do you think O'Rourke is now one of the top contenders for Dems in 2020 at this point?

No. He's second or third tier until he gets more name recognition. His proved he can fundraise at a top tier level though. 

I'd place Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Booker as ahead of him. I'd say he's 6th to 8th if a poll was conducted today. 

Richard Ojeda, who led the West Virginia teachers' strike, has also announced he's running. A former Clinton adviser also guaranteed Hillary would run in 2020, and Sherrod Brown is reportedly reconsidering running, after saying he didn't want to be President.

48 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Richard Ojeda, who led the West Virginia teachers' strike, has also announced he's running. A former Clinton adviser also guaranteed Hillary would run in 2020, and Sherrod Brown is reportedly reconsidering running, after saying he didn't want to be President.

I don't think Ojeda will get 1% of the vote, but maybe I'll be wrong. Once he gets 1% I'll add him into my scenario. I doubt Clinton actually runs. I hope Sherrod Brown runs. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I hope Sherrod Brown runs. 

Me too. He'd probably be my number 1 choice, and I think he's one of the only Democrats who could actually win the general election.

19 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Me too. He'd probably be my number 1 choice, and I think he's one of the only Democrats who could actually win the general election.

Which is a bleak prognosis indeed. Trump ONLY won in 2016 because his main opponent was just as much of a corrupt, lying, atrocious monster as he was. If far more decent, honourable, and with it potential opponents are now viewed as having NO chance in 2020, you know a tilt for the worse has happened in the electorate, and a lot of people have bought snake oil and swallowed it down despite evidence of it's venomous qualities being EVERYWHERE, in plain sight. Or, perhaps it's the "tradition" that strong opponents within a party do not make a primary challenge against an incumbent President, a very bad and self-destructive precedent indeed, that compounds the disastrous flaws already present in the two-party system that takes away real choice from the voter, and the Electoral College, that paternalistically belittles the voters and their competence, skews the demographic representation in a ghastly way, and has had ALL the stated for it's existence as of the 1787 Constitutional Convention been officially obsoleted - the last of which was the election of Trump himself, as one of the big reasons Alexander Hamilton believed the EC was needed was to prevent the election of a populist as President.

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

No. He's second or third tier until he gets more name recognition. His proved he can fundraise at a top tier level though. 

I'd place Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Booker as ahead of him. I'd say he's 6th to 8th if a poll was conducted today. 

I concur with this statement.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, vcczar said:

I don't think Ojeda will get 1% of the vote, but maybe I'll be wrong. Once he gets 1% I'll add him into my scenario. I doubt Clinton actually runs. I hope Sherrod Brown runs. 

I think Ojeda would gain traction in his home state of West Virginia and probably other more rural Appalachia counties in other states (like eastern KY, eastern TN, western VA)

21 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I think Ojeda would gain traction in his home state of West Virginia and probably other more rural Appalachia counties in other states (like eastern KY, eastern TN, western VA)

He’s got a good shot at WV, the same voters that Bredesen won over in TN, and from the coal areas of the Appalachians. Maybe even independents/Republicans in open primary states. 

Ojeda from WV,100%,I would vote for that man in a second,plus he could help bring the Democratic party back to it's roots,the Clinton era Dem,which is what I am. 

On 11/12/2018 at 6:18 PM, admin_270 said:

Depends. If he announced soon, he'd definitely get enough momentum to be leading but with big names like Joe Biden, Sanders and Warren being considered and propping up potential runs in their own right, he's probably going to be swamped. O'Rourke would be a solid pick though, southern Democrat with a lot of support in a state that is stereotypically very red with left wing but popular ideas, he'd be the most viable choice next to a Biden or a Booker.

I don't know enough about any of them except O'Rourke to make a choice. That should say enough about the current field in 2020 though, haha.

On 11/12/2018 at 2:50 PM, vcczar said:

I'll trade you Brown for Toomey

7 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Ojeda from WV,100%,I would vote for that man in a second,plus he could help bring the Democratic party back to it's roots,the Clinton era Dem,which is what I am. 

I don't think that comparison is fair, Ojeda is much more progressive than either Clinton ever was.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:58 PM, WVProgressive said:

I don't think that comparison is fair, Ojeda is much more progressive than either Clinton ever was.

Given that Ojeda is Pro-Life and Pro-Gun, he's a conservative Democrat to be sure.

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Given that Ojeda is Pro-Life and Pro-Gun, he's a conservative Democrat to be sure.

You mean Anti-Abortion and Anti-Euthanasia? I haven't seen many U.S. politicians (except maybe Ron Paul) who are against all foreign wars, militarized police, and abolishing the alphabet soup agencies of murder of death, but even he supports people starving in the streets because they're unemployed or dying of simply treated ailments because they can't afford overpriced medical care and pharmaceuticals or because of cuts to Federal disaster relief services, and I believe (though I'm sure) he supports capital punishment. And of course, by nature, one cannot be Pro-Gun and support the sanctity of life, because guns are solely implements meant to kill. And let's not mention corporate deregulation leading to poisoned and tainted foods, water, and other consumable goods and unsafe products and workplaces. That is their only purpose. This is why I find the term "Pro-Life" highly disingenuous, hypocritical, deceptive, and obnoxious as a political label - because the vast majority of people who call themselves Pro-Life only oppose abortion and euthanasia, and think that makes them worthy of such a lofty label, all the while supporting, by action or inaction, commission or deliberate negligence, a LOT of death, legally, supported or even encouraged or demanded by law or policy.

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Many leftists are pro gun "Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"- Karl Marx, being pro gun isn't solely a right wing position.

28 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Many leftists are pro gun "Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"- Karl Marx, being pro gun isn't solely a right wing position.

So basically you have to be a communist to be a Pro-Gun leftist, good note. Trust me, Ojeda has a different context than Marx for supporting Gun Rights.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

You mean Anti-Abortion and Anti-Euthanasia? I haven't seen many U.S. politicians (except maybe Ron Paul) who are against all foreign wars, militarized police, and abolishing the alphabet soup agencies of murder of death, but even he supports people starving in the streets because they're unemployed or dying of simply treated ailments because they can't afford overpriced medical care and pharmaceuticals or because of cuts to Federal disaster relief services, and I believe (though I'm sure) he supports capital punishment. And of course, by nature, one cannot be Pro-Gun and support the sanctity of life, because guns are solely implements meant to kill. And let's not mention corporate deregulation leading to poisoned and tainted foods, water, and other consumable goods and unsafe products and workplaces. That is their only purpose. This is why I find the term "Pro-Life" highly disingenuous, hypocritical, deceptive, and obnoxious as a political label - because the vast majority of people who call themselves Pro-Life only oppose abortion and euthanasia, and think that makes them worthy of such a lofty label, all the while supporting, by action or inaction, commission or deliberate negligence, a LOT of death, legally, supported or even encouraged or demanded by law or policy.

I have begun to list the phrases that trigger your stump speeches and earn me another dime you know.

5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

So basically you have to be a communist to be a Pro-Gun leftist, good note. Trust me, Ojeda has a different context than Marx for supporting Gun Rights.

No, many leftists are pro gun, unlike many many liberals. Just because I quoted Marx doesn't mean that Marxists have a monopoly on being pro-gun leftists, and while you're right Ojeda and leftists aren't the same I was simply stating the fact that you don't need to be a conservative to support gun rights.