270soft Forum
jnewt

Who should be the next Speaker of the House?

12 hours ago, Patine said:

But compromise candidates are never even considered when the Republicans take the House - it's pure Jacksonian spoils - and I've never seen you criticize that fact when Paul Ryan was Speaker. I'm assuming a sharp partisan bias makes you want a compromise candidate now. Or am I SOMEHOW wrong?

Well, Pelosi is definitely not liked by Republicans and even most Democrats (at least my impression) are not happy about her. So I guess making a deal with Republicans would have been a good option for Democrats to not get Pelosi, but still elect a Democratic speaker. I also think it was a missed opportunity for Republicans to not present such an option. Additionally Stephanie Murphy or Jim Cooper or even Conor Lamb could have been better candidates. From a Democratic perspective Murphy or Lamb could have given them new energy as young leaders (from ethnic minority). Cooper could have helped to get some base in the south back again. Perhaps it would have been bad for Republicans, because Pelosi is an easier target so it is not the right thing to say I am biased on this here :P As a Democrat I would have easily presented that idea. As Republican I would have not necessarily voted for McCarthy if there had been a viable Democrat. Getting Pelosi out of the race would have been worse for Republicans in the next election perhaps but it would have been better for the country I think.

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Well, Pelosi is definitely not liked by Republicans and even most Democrats (at least my impression) are not happy about her. So I guess making a deal with Republicans would have been a good option for Democrats to not get Pelosi, but still elect a Democratic speaker. I also think it was a missed opportunity for Republicans to not present such an option. Additionally Stephanie Murphy or Jim Cooper or even Conor Lamb could have been better candidates. From a Democratic perspective Murphy or Lamb could have given them new energy as young leaders (from ethnic minority). Cooper could have helped to get some base in the south back again. Perhaps it would have been bad for Republicans, because Pelosi is an easier target so it is not the right thing to say I am biased on this here :P As a Democrat I would have easily presented that idea. As Republican I would have not necessarily voted for McCarthy if there had been a viable Democrat. Getting Pelosi out of the race would have been worse for Republicans in the next election perhaps but it would have been better for the country I think.

Considering coalitions are the norm over there, how are the presiding officers of the Nationalrat and Statsrat in Austria (not the Chancellor, but the equivalent of Speakers) usually determined or elected after an election?

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Considering coalitions are the norm over there, how are the presiding officers of the Nationalrat and Statsrat in Austria (not the Chancellor, but the equivalent of Speakers) usually determined or elected after an election?

There are three Presidents of the Nationalrat. The first is usually from the strongest party of the last election. The second President from the second most voted party and the third yeah you know already.... They are elected in three different elections from the whole council, usually from the coalition parties.

Protest votes were common when the People's Party ousted Karlheinz Kopf the former 2nd President, who was interested in becoming the new 1st President during the last election. He received many votes subsequently (some said mostly from the Social Democrats in order to ignite quarrels within the People's Party).

The President of the Bundesrat is just one person, who serves for six months and must always be from another of the 9 states. When all states had their own president, it begins again. The Landtag (state parliament) of the respective state votes on the president and it is usually someone from the strongest party in this state's own parliament. So the President is not necessarily from the same party as the ruling coalition.

As a Democrat,I have never and will never support Pelosi of speaker,Tim Ryan would have been so much of a better choice.

5 hours ago, Rarename91 said:

jeb! should have been speaker.

Bury the dead horse! Stop beating it!