270soft Forum
jnewt

Who should be the next Speaker of the House?

I know it's most likely going to be Nancy Pelosi again, but I definitely think Democrats should elect someone else. This Washington Post article entertains the idea of Stacey Abrams as the next speaker, and while I don't think she would make an especially good Speaker (because of her lack of experience), I think someone else who is also not a member of Congress would make a great Speaker: Barack Obama. He's experienced, and knows how to get legislation passed. But I know that would never happen in a million years, and I also think the position should be used to elevate someone younger to be a leader within the Democratic party. One actual member of Congress who I think should be considered for the Speakership is Barbara Lee. This is also speculative though, since it is highly likely Pelosi becomes Speaker again.

12 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I know it's most likely going to be Nancy Pelosi again, but I definitely think Democrats should elect someone else. This Washington Post article entertains the idea of Stacey Abrams as the next speaker, and while I don't think she would make an especially good Speaker (because of her lack of experience), I think someone else who is also not a member of Congress would make a great Speaker: Barack Obama. He's experienced, and knows how to get legislation passed. But I know that would never happen in a million years, and I also think the position should be used to elevate someone younger to be a leader within the Democratic party. One actual member of Congress who I think should be considered for the Speakership is Barbara Lee. This is also speculative though, since it is highly likely Pelosi becomes Speaker again.

It's going to be Pelosi. I'd prefer someone like Tim Ryan. I think Pelosi should step down in a year if it appears her role as Speaker is a source of energy for the GOP. Someone like Tim Ryan would be harder to get riled up against by the GOP, since he's their demographic. 

2 hours ago, jnewt said:

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

It's going to be Pelosi. I'd prefer someone like Tim Ryan. I think Pelosi should step down in a year if it appears her role as Speaker is a source of energy for the GOP. Someone like Tim Ryan would be harder to get riled up against by the GOP, since he's their demographic. 

"The Speaker of the House should speak for the people, not just for the industrialists and bankers, the aristocrats and big landlords, and the political favour traders," Keir Hardie, first leader of the Labour Party of the UK, in a speech during the session of choosing a Speaker of the House of Commons, 1900.

I'd love to see someone like Cheri Bustos (D-IL) as Speaker, but it will almost certainly be Pelosi. 

17 hours ago, jnewt said:

17 hours ago, vcczar said:

6 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

I'd love to see someone like Cheri Bustos (D-IL) as Speaker, but it will almost certainly be Pelosi. 

20 minutes ago, lok1999 said:

Bustos should, but Pelosi will, unfortunately.

What a grim situation. Pelosi "the Legislative Sink" again. Here in Canada, the Speaker of the House of Commons, while always of the governing party, is usually not an important member of the party, or a high-ranking one, all-in-all, and many Canadians cannot even name the current Speaker, and they don't even come up significantly in the news (except on Parliament TV and other footage of Parliamentary sessions specifically) or when something else is relevant (such as when Leona Agglagakuk, the MP for Nunavut, became the first Inuit women to hold the position in 2008 or 2011, as I recall).

8 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

1 hour ago, lok1999 said:

Bustos should, but Pelosi will, unfortunately.

Apparently she's running for DCCC chair

To me, there really aren't any great alternatives to Pelosi (and Pelosi is not a good choice to begin with). There's really no young progressives that stick out to me, that's why I suggested Barbara Lee. I feel like Tim Ryan is the only Democrat who would have any chance at beating Pelosi for the Speakership (and I would certainly support him over Pelosi), but I don't think even he could beat her.

On 11/11/2018 at 4:44 PM, Patine said:

What a grim situation. Pelosi "the Legislative Sink" again. Here in Canada, the Speaker of the House of Commons, while always of the governing party, is usually not an important member of the party, or a high-ranking one, all-in-all, and many Canadians cannot even name the current Speaker, and they don't even come up significantly in the news (except on Parliament TV and other footage of Parliamentary sessions specifically) or when something else is relevant (such as when Leona Agglagakuk, the MP for Nunavut, became the first Inuit women to hold the position in 2008 or 2011, as I recall).

The Canadian Speaker is supposed to be relatively non-partisan, right? Our Speaker is just the opposite, in that whoever is leader of the party in the majority typically gets the job.

I'm not sure who else in the Democratic caucus would be a credible candidate, but I'd be fine with either Adam Schiff or Elijah Cummings. Barbara Lee is probably a little too far to the left. And Bustos has to be careful - I think her district voted narrowly for Trump in 2016, or at least came close to doing so. Making herself one of the most prominent faces of the national party might complicate her re-election campaign.

The interesting thing would be what happens if the anti-Pelosi Democrats actually cast their vote for some other Democrat in enough numbers that nobody is elected Speaker on the first ballot. That's probably the most likely path to a different Speaker - I think it's unlikely that there are enough votes to just remove her as House Democratic leader ahead of time, but weirder things have happened.

1 hour ago, RI Democrat said:

The Canadian Speaker is supposed to be relatively non-partisan, right? Our Speaker is just the opposite, in that whoever is leader of the party in the majority typically gets the job.

I'm not sure who else in the Democratic caucus would be a credible candidate, but I'd be fine with either Adam Schiff or Elijah Cummings. Barbara Lee is probably a little too far to the left. And Bustos has to be careful - I think her district voted narrowly for Trump in 2016, or at least came close to doing so. Making herself one of the most prominent faces of the national party might complicate her re-election campaign.

I believe, given the context of the day, the sources they drew on (the British House of Commons and the 13 Colonial Assemblies), and the fact political parties didn't yet exist at the time of the Philadelphia Convention of 1787, that the non-partisan moderator is almost certain what the Founding Fathers originally had in mind, too. The U.S. House of Representatives could REALLY benefit from a neutral moderator, and the current role of the Speaker, as a redundant, superfluous, and unnecessary superlative of the House Majority Leader, is NOT needed or useful, in a practical sense, at all, and just seems to have become a prestige role as part of the Jacksonian spoils system that could easily (and beneficially) be done away with in that form.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:27 PM, jnewt said:

To me, there really aren't any great alternatives to Pelosi (and Pelosi is not a good choice to begin with). There's really no young progressives that stick out to me, that's why I suggested Barbara Lee. I feel like Tim Ryan is the only Democrat who would have any chance at beating Pelosi for the Speakership (and I would certainly support him over Pelosi), but I don't think even he could beat her.

You're bio says your from Boston. What are your thoughts on the memo Tim Ryan and Seth Moulton produced pledging they will not back Pelosi? And think maybe Seth Moulton could be the next Speaker?

11 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

You're bio says your from Boston. What are your thoughts on the memo Tim Ryan and Seth Moulton produced pledging they will not back Pelosi? And think maybe Seth Moulton could be the next Speaker?

I would definitely like if they didn't support Pelosi, but I can't say I would like Moulton as Speaker either. I would prefer him to Pelosi no doubt, but he's really not that progressive, and I don't think he would have any chance at becoming Speaker anyway. I think Tim Ryan is really the only other candidate who could receive a somewhat significant amount of votes for Speaker.

Honestly I was expecting Swalwell to go for it but now that he’s revving up for a presidential campaign it seems he’s decided against it. 

11 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Not a member of either party but I almost guarantee its gonna be Pelosi, but at the same time would actually not be surprised if it wasn't.

Basically. This.

Pelosi is loved by the elites of the Democratic party, which, despite what its supporters might tell you, is just as bureaucratic as the GOP. She will never lose her position unless she personally steps down or retires from running. It's sad though, a party who's base is becoming gradually more progressive is stuck with the same neoliberal, boring, old people who don't really want to change away from being Republican-lite aside from liking gay people and thinking that poor people should get a tiny bit more rights instead of giving them what they deserve.

I would support Dan Lipi nski. Most Democrats and Republicans could easily agree on him as a compromise candidate. Trump is able to attack Pelosi as the typical insider, but it could make things a lot more interesting with another speaker.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:07 PM, vcczar said:

Let's be honest though, if Tim Ryan became Speaker, the GoP would suddenly stop attacking the Speakership as the minority party. Pelosi has been an extremely effective legislator. That said, I feel she should use this session to smoothly pass the torch from her generation to the next generation of leaders. 

On 11/10/2018 at 11:07 PM, vcczar said:

Ah yes, Tim "why would I hate the rich, I want to be rich" Ryan, the perfect person to place in a leading position in fighting the GOP, whose interest represent rich, white, men... But hey so do the Democrats so, they'll make sure that boot stamping on a human face forever, has a little padding (not too much though, we wouldn't want to be partisan).

39 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Let's be honest though, if Tim Ryan became Speaker, the GoP would suddenly stop attacking the Speakership as the minority party. Pelosi has been an extremely effective legislator. That said, I feel she should use this session to smoothly pass the torch from her generation to the next generation of leaders. 

I assume you meant, would NOT suddenly stop attacking the Speaker. Also enlighten me, what makes you call Pelosi an extremely effective legislator? Maybe I'm biased seeing as I don't see what Pelossi did pass as speaker  as very good.

2 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

I assume you meant, would NOT suddenly stop attacking the Speaker. Also enlighten me, what makes you call Pelosi an extremely effective legislator? Maybe I'm biased seeing as I don't see what Pelossi did pass as speaker  as very good.

This WaPo article gives a brief primer as to why it can be argued she's the most effective Speaker since Sam Rayburn. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2018/11/28/pelosi-is-house-democrats-strongest-leader-making-her-speaker-is-politics/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fda83e5c74c1

9 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I would support Dan Lipi nski. Most Democrats and Republicans could easily agree on him as a compromise candidate. Trump is able to attack Pelosi as the typical insider, but it could make things a lot more interesting with another speaker.

But compromise candidates are never even considered when the Republicans take the House - it's pure Jacksonian spoils - and I've never seen you criticize that fact when Paul Ryan was Speaker. I'm assuming a sharp partisan bias makes you want a compromise candidate now. Or am I SOMEHOW wrong?

3 hours ago, Patine said:

But compromise candidates are never even considered when the Republicans take the House - it's pure Jacksonian spoils - and I've never seen you criticize that fact when Paul Ryan was Speaker. I'm assuming a sharp partisan bias makes you want a compromise candidate now. Or am I SOMEHOW wrong?

Now now, Pat there's too much politics in these politics, we need to compromise with the Republicans sure we might lose a little freedom, and some might lose their lives, but we all have days like that, and the Iranians might end up in a war they didn't want and didn't start, but that means the republicans owe us a favor.

9 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

This WaPo article gives a brief primer as to why it can be argued she's the most effective Speaker since Sam Rayburn. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2018/11/28/pelosi-is-house-democrats-strongest-leader-making-her-speaker-is-politics/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fda83e5c74c1

Alright, I'll give it to Pelosi, she's a good parliamentarian, it's just that the policies she fights for are just awful. Though I'm not sure if I'd trust a newspaper owned by Jeff Bezos, on anything, let alone politics.