270soft Forum
TheMiddlePolitical

How'd your state races/local races go (If your involved)

I'm in NYC, so most of the elections I was a part of more or less were decided in the primary.

I volunteered for Cynthia Nixon, and in turn the Working Families Party, so our results weren't ideal for statewide office: Cuomo beat Nixon, Hochul beat Williams, James beat Teachout... but we were able to boot out most of the IDC, and their challengers all went on to win in the general (despite ballot issues, where the former IDC member stayed on the ballot on certain lines despite having conceded.)

I also did phonebanking for Florida's elections, and... lol that's still TBD!

3 hours ago, lizphairphreak said:

I'm in NYC, so most of the elections I was a part of more or less were decided in the primary.

I volunteered for Cynthia Nixon, and in turn the Working Families Party, so our results weren't ideal for statewide office: Cuomo beat Nixon, Hochul beat Williams, James beat Teachout... but we were able to boot out most of the IDC, and their challengers all went on to win in the general (despite ballot issues, where the former IDC member stayed on the ballot on certain lines despite having conceded.)

I also did phonebanking for Florida's elections, and... lol that's still TBD!

It's too bad you Americans have so many safe seats - like the British suffer from - as well as all "solid blue/red States" you have. It means whole swaths of the country can just have their votes taken for granted by one party or another, leading to a toxic party apathy and lack of accountability in that regard. Political parties SHOULD have the Damecles blade that EVERY SINGLE SEAT could potentially flip on them, like can be, and proven to be, very possible in Canadian politics. But the Canadian electorate is notoriously unforgiving of failed incumbents, unlike many parts of the US or UK, which I think is actually a good thing for politics.

14 hours ago, Patine said:

It's too bad you Americans have so many safe seats - like the British suffer from - as well as all "solid blue/red States" you have. It means whole swaths of the country can just have their votes taken for granted by one party or another, leading to a toxic party apathy and lack of accountability in that regard. Political parties SHOULD have the Damecles blade that EVERY SINGLE SEAT could potentially flip on them, like can be, and proven to be, very possible in Canadian politics. But the Canadian electorate is notoriously unforgiving of failed incumbents, unlike many parts of the US or UK, which I think is actually a good thing for politics.

Yeah, the safe seat situation in the UK and USA is terrible. For example, Mohammed Sarwar, who was the first Muslim elected to the House of Commons, was elected in Glasgow Govan, a safe Labour seat. Despite being involved in multiple electoral offences, fraud, and also raising money for a conservative party in Pakistan despite being a member of a social democratic party. he held his seat at every election. Both parties, especially Labour, are also guilty of major-league carpet-bagging (see Tony Blair, Peter Mandleson and the Brothers Milliband for notable examples)

1 hour ago, LegolasRedbard said:

Yeah, the safe seat situation in the UK and USA is terrible. For example, Mohammed Sarwar, who was the first Muslim elected to the House of Commons, was elected in Glasgow Govan, a safe Labour seat. Despite being involved in multiple electoral offences, fraud, and also raising money for a conservative party in Pakistan despite being a member of a social democratic party. he held his seat at every election. Both parties, especially Labour, are also guilty of major-league carpet-bagging (see Tony Blair, Peter Mandleson and the Brothers Milliband for notable examples)

Agreed with @Patine that I hate the idea of "safe seats." I also loved Cynthia Nixon on a personal level and do genuinely think she would've been a great governor, but man, I wish someone who had experience in office had the guts to take on Cuomo.

RE: Carpetbagging... I feel weird saying this but I don't really have a problem with carpetbagging on a conceptual level. I think this is partially because I grew up in a small town with well-entrenched families, but my parents had only moved there a few years before I was born and were able to connect with the "townies" and become public figures in town in an authentic way. I know that carpetbagging isn't always like that, but I think there's something to be said of an outsider who moves into a community and is able to build connections with people around them... Not sure if this is making sense, and kind of a tangent.