270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ThePotatoWalrus

Americanism Test

This thread will only really apply to the younger members of the forum like @NYrepublican and @Reagan04.

So recently in my school, we took this thing that was sponsored by the American Legion called an 'Americanism' test or something, it mainly dealt with the state, federal, local, city, and school government, and questions about the flag and stuff. Apparently, the top 5 or 15 people will go on an expense-paid trip to Gettysburg. I got most of the questions correct, especially the federal ones. I'll provide some examples of questions but I was wondering if the above-tagged people or anyone else has taken it in their school.

True or False: Martha Washington designed the flag of the United States (obvious false lmao)
Who is the current Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (John Roberts, was multiple choice and one of the other options was Trump, lmao)
How many counties are in the state of Ohio? (Another multiple choice, I guessed on this one, but ended up getting it right with 88 after checking later)
Who was the only President to serve more than two terms? (Obvious FDR, amazes me how most of my classmates didn't know this shit)
What is the minimum age to serve on a school board? (I guessed 18 and got it right, almost put 21 second-guessing myself)
Who is the current Secretary of State? (Obvious Mike Pompeo, but i'm sure most of my classmates chose Rex Tillerson, who was also an option)
How many members are there in the House of Representatives? (We literally went over the HoR yesterday, so i'm sure most of us got this)
True or False: The shape of the Ohio flag is a pennant. (Had no idea what a pennant was but I guessed true and apparently it is one)
How many members are on the Ohio Supreme Court? (Guessed 7, got it right. Have no idea how I guessed so many right.)

Apparently, I can only remember the ones that I didn't get wrong but has anyone else taken this in school yet? Don't know if it's just a local area thing, or an Ohio thing or what.

Also, at the end, we ended up having to write our opinion on illegal immigration in a two-three paragraph essay. The American Legion leans slightly right so I had to make myself slightly more right-wing than I would be normally (center-left on immigration IRL) to try to perhaps increase my chances of selection. I did talk about amnesty, but I focused more on my support of border surveillance or a barrier instead.

36 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

This thread will only really apply to the younger members of the forum like @NYrepublican and @Reagan04.

So recently in my school, we took this thing that was sponsored by the American Legion called an 'Americanism' test or something, it mainly dealt with the state, federal, local, city, and school government, and questions about the flag and stuff. Apparently, the top 5 or 15 people will go on an expense-paid trip to Gettysburg. I got most of the questions correct, especially the federal ones. I'll provide some examples of questions but I was wondering if the above-tagged people or anyone else has taken it in their school.

True or False: Martha Washington designed the flag of the United States (obvious false lmao)
Who is the current Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (John Roberts, was multiple choice and one of the other options was Trump, lmao)
How many counties are in the state of Ohio? (Another multiple choice, I guessed on this one, but ended up getting it right with 88 after checking later)
Who was the only President to serve more than two terms? (Obvious FDR, amazes me how most of my classmates didn't know this shit)
What is the minimum age to serve on a school board? (I guessed 18 and got it right, almost put 21 second-guessing myself)
Who is the current Secretary of State? (Obvious Mike Pompeo, but i'm sure most of my classmates chose Rex Tillerson, who was also an option)
How many members are there in the House of Representatives? (We literally went over the HoR yesterday, so i'm sure most of us got this)
True or False: The shape of the Ohio flag is a pennant. (Had no idea what a pennant was but I guessed true and apparently it is one)
How many members are on the Ohio Supreme Court? (Guessed 7, got it right. Have no idea how I guessed so many right.)

Apparently, I can only remember the ones that I didn't get wrong but has anyone else taken this in school yet? Don't know if it's just a local area thing, or an Ohio thing or what.

This looks more like some of the questions they give permanent immigrants applying for naturalization in the U.S. than a measure of some ill-defined (politically loaded- and -biased-sounding for use by the same kind of narrow, authoritarian, arbitrary whack-jobs who use the term "anti-American" as well) sort of term like "Americanism."

2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Not suprising, Americans are ignorant of history for example most think Lincoln was some kind of free the slaves and make them equal type guy. He really wasn't. He wanted to send the slaves out of America.

Section 11 of the DC emancipation act (1862) for example said

Sec. 11. And be it further enacted, That the sum of one hundred thousand dollars, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, is hereby appropriated, to be expended under the direction of the President of the United States, to aid in the colonization and settlement of such free persons of African descent now residing in said District, including those to be liberated by this act, as may desire to emigrate to the Republics of Hayti or Liberia, or such other country beyond the limits of the United States as the President may determine: Provided, The expenditure for this purpose shall not exceed one hundred dollars for each emigrant

As late as 1865 Lincoln is quoted as saying

I can hardly believe that the South and North can live in peace, unless we can get rid of the negroes.

In the Lincoln-Douglas debates he said

I will say then, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters of the negroes, or jurors, or qualifying them to hold office, of having them to marry with white people. I will say in addition, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races, which I suppose, will forever forbid the two races living together upon terms of social and political equality, and inasmuch, as they cannot so live, that while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior, that I as much as any other man am in favor of the superior position being assigned to the white man.

24 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Not suprising, Americans are ignorant of history for example most think Lincoln was some kind of free the slaves and make them equal type guy. He really wasn't. He wanted to send the slaves out of America.

Section 11 of the DC emancipation act (1862) for example said

As late as 1865 Lincoln is quoted as saying

In the Lincoln-Douglas debates he said

It's amazing what lurks in the past of famous strongly known for one thing that bespeaks against that trends in their words and deeds. As another (almost counter-) example, when a young adult Adolf Hitler first arrived in Munich from Vienna, but shortly before his service in a Bavarian Regiment in WW1 in the Imperial German Army, he was dating a 17-year-old Jewish girl against her parents' wishes. That ended with her committing suicide by jumping off a bridge. That's a little-known factoid.