270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

If You Lived in 1860 America

If You Lived in 1860's America  

14 members have voted

1. 1. If You Lived in 1860, your position on Unionism would be:

• The Union must be preserved, by force if necessary!
    • Compromise must be achieved to keep the Union together.
    • Allow states to secede rather than make compromises to keep the country together.
    • Good riddance! States should have seceded a long time ago.
  2. 2. If You Lived in 1860, your position on Abolitionism would be:

• I am a vocal and active abolitionist, and I believe in the immediately abolition of slavery, by force if necessary.
    • I am a vocal and active abolitionist, but I believe that a containment policy with gradual abolition is best for the country.
    • I am a vocal and active abolitionist, but I believe that a containment policy along with sending former slaves back to Africa is the best policy.
    • I am a vocal abolitionist, but I am not active. While I strongly support abolitionism, I will not partake in any activities that might encourage violence for or against slavery.
    • I am a quiet abolitionist. I'd rather say nothing for fear of repercussions.
    • I oppose abolitionism only because it might tear apart the union and/or start violence.
    • I oppose abolitionism, generally, but I support efforts to send freed slaves back to Africa.
    • I oppose abolitionism only because it would make my state politically weaker and/or ruin me or my state economically.
    • I oppose abolitionism primarily because I believe in the superiority of my race and the inferiority of the others, and I would oppose it, even if slavery wasn't profitable.
  3. 3. If you lived in the 1860s America, you picture yourself living in the following regions:

• New England (ME, MA, VT, NH, CT, RI)
    • Mid-Atlantic (PA, NJ, NY)
    • Border State (DE, MD, KY, MO)
    • Midwest (OH, IN, MI, WI, IL)
    • Great Plains (MN, KS)
    • Upper South (VA, NC, TN, AR)
    • Deep South (SC, GA, FL, MS, AL, LA)
    • Southwest (TX)
    • West Coast (CA, OR)
    • Western Territories (sparsely populated and unorganized territories)

@WVProgressive My ancestors actually were in New England (Massachusetts) during the Civil War. I'm not sure if they were abolitionists or not. I know one of them grew up with an abolitionist preacher for part of his life. They were all too young or too old to serve,, or if they were old enough, they were never drafted. They had siblings and cousins that served. 

This is an interesting poll considering both sides of my family fought on separate sides during the Civil War (mom on the Union, dad on the Confederacy), crazy how recent it was when you think about it.