Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

Game idea

Recommended Posts

Maybe @admin_270 would like to help with this idea or take it on completely as a 270Soft product,

I've nearly completed designing a presidential card game that is a cross of three games: 1) The ongoing RP that I founded on this forum  2) Crusader Kings II  3) The board game Founding Fathers by Rick Heli (not the Constitutional Convention game of the same name). 

I've come up with the rules, cards, and basically everything. It operates like a board game, but it doesn't require a board or a lot of pieces. Only cards, a die, and something to keep the score are necessary.  There are over 400 politicians from US history included. Players aim to make their politicians into presidents, but they can also become a regional focus governor, a regional focus senator, Speaker of the House, Supreme Court Judge, VP, cabinet member, or commanding general. Additionally, becoming a keynote speaker at a convention can help gain some national attention for a politician. 

There are many events that the president must solve, generally with the help of other politicians (both his own and those controlled by others). The game allows for a lot of natural strategy. 

Like Crusader Kings II, the politicians have positive and negative traits. For instance, Bill Clinton has many positive traits (photogenic, energetic, x1 orator), he also one glaring negative trait (hedonist x3). Fortunately, he has teflon x2, which might allow him to survive should a scandal come out. He also has traits that much more neutral (or gray), such as establishment, and manipulator x2. On top of these, he has skill stats. 

This card game may stay as a card game, but I hope it becomes the type of computer game we would all enjoy. However, I require help or this game will only exist in my own home on note cards. At the minimum, I need someone with the ability, time, and follow through to design all the cards. I can send all the information/stats/etc, and the photo for each card, if someone can make the images of the cards on their computer. I can probably find a template. If anyone would like to see this as a computer game, then someone would have to have the skill to convert it into a computer game. Part of me thinks it should probably go through the board game phase anyway, since I think it would look cool if even the computer version had a board game feel to it. 

It could sort of fulfill that "Become President" game that everyone on here wants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a great idea, however I don't think I'd be able to help you all that much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vcczar

Right now, I have my hands full with the Infinity games. However, 270soft might be able to help with a computer game at some point in the future - it really depends.

If you want to make a board game first, I would recommend contacting people who have experience making board games - I don't. Perhaps find a company that makes games of this sort, and see if they are interested. Again, I have little experience with the board game industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're interested in a crowd funding project, you can contact me directly and I might be able to offer some help, as I have some experience with that and would be happy to help with letting people know about it if the game looks good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

If you're interested in a crowd funding project, you can contact me directly and I might be able to offer some help, as I have some experience with that and would be happy to help with letting people know about it if the game looks good.

That will probably be very helpful. I just posted on boardgamegeeks.com to find someone to do the card design on a computer. Once I can get the rates, I'll probably contact you. I'm offering to split any profits it makes. I do think this game can easily translate to a PC game at some point. Most of what occurs is binary (if this, then), which should make it easy to program, I assume. I understand you are busy, and that you probably want to see how it operates first. Thanks for your offer to help with crowd funding, I'll likely take you up on that offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 4:03 PM, vcczar said:

That will probably be very helpful. I just posted on boardgamegeeks.com to find someone to do the card design on a computer. Once I can get the rates, I'll probably contact you. I'm offering to split any profits it makes. I do think this game can easily translate to a PC game at some point. Most of what occurs is binary (if this, then), which should make it easy to program, I assume. I understand you are busy, and that you probably want to see how it operates first. Thanks for your offer to help with crowd funding, I'll likely take you up on that offer. 

Best of luck to you my man. Can't wait to see how this all works out!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Best of luck to you my man. Can't wait to see how this all works out!!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made (or rather greatly amended) this template for the politician cards. This is the key of what I plan to have on the card:

 @ThePotatoWalrus @admin_270 and anyone else who has shown interest in this project. 

template_pol_key.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the only card I've made @ThePotatoWalrus @admin_270 @Sunnymentoaddict @CalebsParadox @Kingthero @Conservative Elector 2 @NYrepublican @Patine @WVProgressive and anyone else interested. 

He isn't the most flattering card, but he's one of the more powerful cards. "Party Boss" and "Manipulator" are really helpful in the game. His other negative-sounding traits are for campaign only, which means he's unlikely to ever become a focus senator or governor (both which are stepping stones to the presidency). As such, he's basically just an extremely powerful card in your hand, so that you can sway votes and block or push legislation. The star is command points, which are used only in the event that he becomes president. His command points are rather low (Trump is a 9 by comparison). Again, it's almost impossible for McConnell to become president in this game. The heart is voter support. This is used when running for president. McConnell isn't supposed to run for president, so he has no voter support. The bottom icon is for legislative ability. He has a 5, which is as high as you can go (excluding very few legendary exceptions). Theocrat means that the holder of this card gains or loses points that have the keyword theocrat on it. These will be laws and actions that specifically appeal to or anger Evangelical Christian Conservatives. The date 1980 is when McConnell enters the game and can become drafted. The 2028 is when he leaves the game (estimated). The "Con" under the GOP logo means that he is of the Conservative faction of the party, rather than the Moderate or Traditionalist (think, Cruz) faction of the party. Factions play a role in this game. 

I'd really appreciate it if someone would help make these cards with me. I have all the information you'd need, and the helper could edit over this template. template_gop_layered.png.28543f2db6d111ad1fc804dcb434d5e5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Here's the only card I've made @ThePotatoWalrus @admin_270 @Sunnymentoaddict @CalebsParadox @Kingthero @Conservative Elector 2 @NYrepublican @Patine @WVProgressive and anyone else interested. 

He isn't the most flattering card, but he's one of the more powerful cards. "Party Boss" and "Manipulator" are really helpful in the game. His other negative-sounding traits are for campaign only, which means he's unlikely to ever become a focus senator or governor (both which are stepping stones to the presidency). As such, he's basically just an extremely powerful card in your hand, so that you can sway votes and block or push legislation. The star is command points, which are used only in the event that he becomes president. His command points are rather low (Trump is a 9 by comparison). Again, it's almost impossible for McConnell to become president in this game. The heart is voter support. This is used when running for president. McConnell isn't supposed to run for president, so he has no voter support. The bottom icon is for legislative ability. He has a 5, which is as high as you can go (excluding very few legendary exceptions). Theocrat means that the holder of this card gains or loses points that have the keyword theocrat on it. These will be laws and actions that specifically appeal to or anger Evangelical Christian Conservatives. The date 1980 is when McConnell enters the game and can become drafted. The 2028 is when he leaves the game (estimated). The "Con" under the GOP logo means that he is of the Conservative faction of the party, rather than the Moderate or Traditionalist (think, Cruz) faction of the party. Factions play a role in this game. 

I'd really appreciate it if someone would help make these cards with me. I have all the information you'd need, and the helper could edit over this template. template_gop_layered.png.28543f2db6d111ad1fc804dcb434d5e5.png

I would be interested in helping a bit, but I'd need some guidelines, and I'm not sure how many I could do. Just in general, might need more info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

I would be interested in helping a bit, but I'd need some guidelines, and I'm not sure how many I could do. Just in general, might need more info.

It's pretty simple. I think once you know what you are doing, you can make the card in like 10 min. 

I just made a video reverting the McConnell card back to a template. I tried to make a video of making a Paul Ryan card, but Jing only allows me to make 5 minute videos. 

I'll give you all the information. You can use pixlr, which is a free photo editing software. If it helps, I can resize the photos and place them in. Photo resizing is the time consuming part. I can also do the bios. 

I usually open the template and an example of a completed card so I know what I need to do. 

I think I/we should do all the Republicans first. I only want to make politicians that are active from 2000-present. Obviously, not every politician has a card. Are there any Republicans that you are specifically interested in making?

Here's a video. Sorry for the slip ups. I just got a new computer and the left-click and right-click buttons are in new locations, so I keep hitting the wrong button during the tutorial. 

Here is the video: http://www.screencast.com/t/mS9850Oj

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, President Trenton Adams said:

I could probably figure out a final design for the card if you gave me a day or two to mess with it.

Ok thanks. I kind of like my design, but if you think of something better, then that would be great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, vcczar said:

It's pretty simple. I think once you know what you are doing, you can make the card in like 10 min. 

I just made a video reverting the McConnell card back to a template. I tried to make a video of making a Paul Ryan card, but Jing only allows me to make 5 minute videos. 

I'll give you all the information. You can use pixlr, which is a free photo editing software. If it helps, I can resize the photos and place them in. Photo resizing is the time consuming part. I can also do the bios. 

I usually open the template and an example of a completed card so I know what I need to do. 

I think I/we should do all the Republicans first. I only want to make politicians that are active from 2000-present. Obviously, not every politician has a card. Are there any Republicans that you are specifically interested in making?

Here's a video. Sorry for the slip ups. I just got a new computer and the left-click and right-click buttons are in new locations, so I keep hitting the wrong button during the tutorial. 

Here is the video: http://www.screencast.com/t/mS9850Oj

 

 

It depends on how many you want me to make haha. I'll try a card with maybe Sen. Lisa Murkowski sometime and show you to make sure I've done it right. I'll look into pixlr. I'll check out the video too. What did you use to make the card as it is, starting from scratch? I guess that's the biggest obstacle for me right now. Okay I'm editing this a lot, but I've figured that out a little. The images probably will be what I need you to do and stuff. If there's any part of it I shouldn't do, just tell me and I'll leave it blank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1. What exact parts would you want me to do - I ended up snipping tooling McConnell and doing it that way. If there's a different way, that'd be helpful to know now.

3. Font - what size and what type it is. I think I got size figured out, but type is harder.

4. Images - if you want me to do some images, that wouldn't be a problem, I'd just need to know how to do it.

5. How many you want me to do - I can do pretty much what you need. I'm more familiar with Democrats, but some Republicans I can definitely help with. The more recent Republicans are much easier for me, basically from 2010 on, with some exceptions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

 

1. What exact parts would you want me to do - I ended up snipping tooling McConnell and doing it that way. If there's a different way, that'd be helpful to know now.

3. Font - what size and what type it is. I think I got size figured out, but type is harder.

4. Images - if you want me to do some images, that wouldn't be a problem, I'd just need to know how to do it.

5. How many you want me to do - I can do pretty much what you need. I'm more familiar with Democrats, but some Republicans I can definitely help with. The more recent Republicans are much easier for me, basically from 2010 on, with some exceptions. 

Can you PM me your email address? I'm going to wait until @President Trenton Adams responds with his proposed design in about 2 days. I don't want us to have to do a lot of work for nothing. If you PM me your email address, I'll give you the list of Republicans that needed to be made. Basically, the initial release of the game will be 2000-present. Each new installment will go further back in history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Can you PM me your email address? I'm going to wait until @President Trenton Adams responds with his proposed design in about 2 days. I don't want us to have to do a lot of work for nothing. If you PM me your email address, I'll give you the list of Republicans that needed to be made. Basically, the initial release of the game will be 2000-present. Each new installment will go further back in history. 

Okay. I tried sending a PM earlier but it didn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Okay. I tried sending a PM earlier but it didn't work.

Try now. My mailbox was full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vcczar said:

Here's the only card I've made @ThePotatoWalrus @admin_270 @Sunnymentoaddict @CalebsParadox @Kingthero @Conservative Elector 2 @NYrepublican @Patine @WVProgressive and anyone else interested. 

He isn't the most flattering card, but he's one of the more powerful cards. "Party Boss" and "Manipulator" are really helpful in the game. His other negative-sounding traits are for campaign only, which means he's unlikely to ever become a focus senator or governor (both which are stepping stones to the presidency). As such, he's basically just an extremely powerful card in your hand, so that you can sway votes and block or push legislation. The star is command points, which are used only in the event that he becomes president. His command points are rather low (Trump is a 9 by comparison). Again, it's almost impossible for McConnell to become president in this game. The heart is voter support. This is used when running for president. McConnell isn't supposed to run for president, so he has no voter support. The bottom icon is for legislative ability. He has a 5, which is as high as you can go (excluding very few legendary exceptions). Theocrat means that the holder of this card gains or loses points that have the keyword theocrat on it. These will be laws and actions that specifically appeal to or anger Evangelical Christian Conservatives. The date 1980 is when McConnell enters the game and can become drafted. The 2028 is when he leaves the game (estimated). The "Con" under the GOP logo means that he is of the Conservative faction of the party, rather than the Moderate or Traditionalist (think, Cruz) faction of the party. Factions play a role in this game. 

I'd really appreciate it if someone would help make these cards with me. I have all the information you'd need, and the helper could edit over this template. template_gop_layered.png.28543f2db6d111ad1fc804dcb434d5e5.png

I'd be willing to assist!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, President Trenton Adams said:

These were made in like 5 minutes. Just an example of how the template could be used.

Player Card Examples.docx

Very good. One question. Do you know if the cards on the document that you made are the same size as playing cards or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

I'd be willing to assist!

Thanks, I'll send you an email. I think I still have your email. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Thanks, I'll send you an email. I think I still have your email. 

Just send me a PM when I can start the work haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×