270soft Forum
vcczar

Game idea

Here is a page of 4 events, to give you an idea of what the event cards can look like. I can't think of a way to make the information more concise, but I promise that once you know what the abbreviations are and how the game works that these cards will make a lot of sense and the reactions will be quite automatic once you get the hang of it. 

@AmericanChaos @Reagan04 @Hestia11 @Conservative Elector 2 @CalebsParadox @jvikings1

EventExamples.jpg

34 minutes ago, AmericanChaos said:

I do think all of the abbreviations make it confusing, and too many components on one card will probably take away from the game and make it more of a hassle to play.

Just my two cents.

I'm definitely open to suggestions. What should I omit? 1) The requirements to resolve the event? 2) The scoring system for the different political factions? 3) Penalties for Ignoring a potential event? 4) Penalties for taking too long to resolve the event? 5) The meter system? 

I'm more inclined to omit meters, but then there is no economy or repercussion for going to war too many times or for making every president a New Deal type of president. Nevertheless, if you think I can omit the meter, without taking away the complexity which might allow the game to be somewhat realistic, and still have an enjoyable game, then I'll do so. It would definitely save me a lot of time. 

I'd like to hear @AmericanChaos @Reagan04 @Hestia11 @Conservative Elector 2 @CalebsParadox @jvikings1on this as well.

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm definitely open to suggestions. What should I omit? 1) The requirements to resolve the event? 2) The scoring system for the different political factions? 3) Penalties for Ignoring a potential event? 4) Penalties for taking too long to resolve the event? 5) The meter system? 

I'm more inclined to omit meters, but then there is no economy or repercussion for going to war too many times or for making every president a New Deal type of president. Nevertheless, if you think I can omit the meter, without taking away the complexity which might allow the game to be somewhat realistic, and still have an enjoyable game, then I'll do so. It would definitely save me a lot of time. 

I'd like to hear @AmericanChaos @Reagan04 @Hestia11 @Conservative Elector 2 @CalebsParadox @jvikings1on this as well.

Just an idea but what if you had the penalties on a separate sheet of paper for reference?

16 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Just an idea but what if you had the penalties on a separate sheet of paper for reference?

That's a good idea. I could have the "linger" rule as a game rule. I'm starting to think that I may take away the meters. It would speed up the game. If, after a playthrough, the game seems colorless without it, then I'll add them back in. Is your heart set on the meter system at all? That is, keeping track of revenue, spending, military power, global influence, quality of life, etc? My guess is that it can be avoided and just assume that the various factions are kinda interested in their own stances on these issues. If this is converted to a PC game, then I'd like to bring them back in. 

On 10/5/2018 at 12:21 PM, vcczar said:

Maybe @admin_270 would like to help with this idea or take it on completely as a 270Soft product,

I've nearly completed designing a presidential card game that is a cross of three games: 1) The ongoing RP that I founded on this forum  2) Crusader Kings II  3) The board game Founding Fathers by Rick Heli (not the Constitutional Convention game of the same name). 

I've come up with the rules, cards, and basically everything. It operates like a board game, but it doesn't require a board or a lot of pieces. Only cards, a die, and something to keep the score are necessary.  There are over 400 politicians from US history included. Players aim to make their politicians into presidents, but they can also become a regional focus governor, a regional focus senator, Speaker of the House, Supreme Court Judge, VP, cabinet member, or commanding general. Additionally, becoming a keynote speaker at a convention can help gain some national attention for a politician. 

There are many events that the president must solve, generally with the help of other politicians (both his own and those controlled by others). The game allows for a lot of natural strategy. 

Like Crusader Kings II, the politicians have positive and negative traits. For instance, Bill Clinton has many positive traits (photogenic, energetic, x1 orator), he also one glaring negative trait (hedonist x3). Fortunately, he has teflon x2, which might allow him to survive should a scandal come out. He also has traits that much more neutral (or gray), such as establishment, and manipulator x2. On top of these, he has skill stats. 

This card game may stay as a card game, but I hope it becomes the type of computer game we would all enjoy. However, I require help or this game will only exist in my own home on note cards. At the minimum, I need someone with the ability, time, and follow through to design all the cards. I can send all the information/stats/etc, and the photo for each card, if someone can make the images of the cards on their computer. I can probably find a template. If anyone would like to see this as a computer game, then someone would have to have the skill to convert it into a computer game. Part of me thinks it should probably go through the board game phase anyway, since I think it would look cool if even the computer version had a board game feel to it. 

It could sort of fulfill that "Become President" game that everyone on here wants. 

I'll look at this soon @vcczar

Ok, I'm going to remove the meter system (meter cards and meter effects). This will simplify the game and make it less confusing for those that aren't good at memorizing a lot of abbreviations. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok, I'm going to remove the meter system (meter cards and meter effects). This will simplify the game and make it less confusing for those that aren't good at memorizing a lot of abbreviations. 

That's probably the right move.

Ok. @Reagan04 @AmericanChaos @Hestia11 Here are the three judicial events with the meter system removed. I think it is a lot less confusing and it allows me to elaborate more on the system that does exist. In some case (all cases here) I can have a brief bio: 

JudicialEventImage.jpg

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok. @Reagan04 @AmericanChaos @Hestia11 Here are the three judicial events with the meter system removed. I think it is a lot less confusing and it allows me to elaborate more on the system that does exist. In some case (all cases here) I can have a brief bio: 

JudicialEventImage.jpg

I would remove the words "a safe, legal" from Roe v. Wade as they are unnecessary and not entirely correct regarding Roe's Majority Opinion and Concurrence but other than that it's great.

11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I would remove the words "a safe, legal" from Roe v. Wade as they are unnecessary and not entirely correct regarding Roe's Majority Opinion and Concurrence but other than that it's great.

Ok, I removed that. I would have added via the "right to privacy" or via the "14th Amendment," but that pushes the text off the card. So I'll just removed the words you suggested. I had added legal, because it didn't allow abortions in all cases. Safe is added because it didn't allow do-it-yourself abortions with coathangers and stuff. 

21 hours ago, vcczar said:

JudicialEventImage.jpg 

The CU/FEC card needs the Event type box filled in. Just noticed. Other than that these look excellent.

1 hour ago, AmericanChaos said:

The CU/FEC card needs the Event type box filled in. Just noticed. Other than that these look excellent.

Thanks. Yeah. I noticed that and fixed it right after posting it here. Also added the court case that legalized gay marriage. 

@Reagan04 Here are the event cards. You can see examples of bios on the bottom cards. Don't change the font size and use italics. Some cards don't have room for a bio, especially the executive cards. Don't worry if you can't make concise bios for some of these since the bios are more for flavor than a necessity. It is possible that the final version of these cards, if we adjust the design, will allow for more bio room. Alternative, we could put the bios on the back, since this isn't a card game that really requires keeping event cards secret. 

When you are done with the events, I'll send you the politicians for their bio. I need to add two new traits to some of them. After that, I'll need to make the fortuity cards, event cards, the two meter cards we will use (economy and party support), and then I have to type up the rules. After this, we can play test.

EventCardsFinished.docx

Ok, I've figured out all of the Fortuity Cards and created the Economy and Party Support Cards. All I need to do is type out all the Fortuity Cards, get the Election Cards from @AmericanChaos , and then type up the rules (which I've already started on doing). It seems like this card game will be completed, at least in its preliminary phases. Play testing will be crucial in improving it. @Reagan04 @Hestia11 @CalebsParadox @Conservative Elector 2 @jvikings1

@vcczar I am not sure perhaps it is correct, but both special interest cards are addressing liberal politicians.

2 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

@vcczar I am not sure perhaps it is correct, but both special interest cards are addressing liberal politicians.

Oh ok thanks. I copy+pasted the info and meant to change those words. 

I'm trying to make the rules as concise as possible, so that they can be placed on cards and easily available to players. Let me know if this makes any sense for a presidential election:

General Election: Presidential

Candidate gains Electoral Points by winning regions. To win a region, candidate must score the highest points:
1. Add +1 point if region is home region to either nominee on the ticket. 
2. Add +1 to opposition party if party support is positive. 
3. Add +1 to incumbent party if economy is 3 and +2 if 4; Subtract -1 if 2 or -2 if 1.
4. Add +1 if candidate has National Hero, Energetic, Celebrity, Orator, Photogenic, Debater
5. Subtract -1 if candidate has Reserved, Homely
6. Add/Subtract points gained from any cards (Office, Fortuity, etc.)
7. Add +1 to party with Focus Gov in that region
8. Add the candidate's voter support #
9. Roll a die. Add this number to the total. The highest number collects the electoral points for that region. The candidate with the highest number of total electoral points wins. Player that controls the Speaker decides the election in a tie. 

Clarification is here. 
For 1. I don't use states, I use regions for the sake of simplicity. I use electoral points to suggest that regions weight in elections. 
For 2. This is referring to the Party Support card. 
For 3. This is referring to the Economic status card
For 4 and 5. This is referring to traits on the candidate cards. 
For 6. This is referring to bonuses for candidates holding an "office" and to enhancements or disenhancements found on Fortuity Cards. There may be other cards that impact the election---probably the Election Card itself. 
For 7. Each region can have one focus governor that is influential in that area. This gives the Focus Gov some importance in the game. 
For 8. On the candidate card. 
For 9. This is to allow some sort of randomization. Naturally, if a candidate can secure a 7 point lead in a region, it's an automatic win. 

Example:
Let's say Beto O'Rourke and Ted Cruz are battling for Mid-Atlantic in 2020 Presidential Election. 
1. Does not apply
2. Trump is president, and O'Rourke's party is more popular (O'Rourke 1, Cruz 0)
3. Economy has dipped slightly. So Cruz loses a point. (O'Rourke 1, Cruz -1)
4. O'Rourke has energetic, while Cruz has debater. (O'Rourke 2, Cruz 0)
5. Cruz is homely. (O'Rourke 2, Cruz -1)
6a. Cruz is a Focus Sen., while O'Rourke has no office. Focus Senator gives 2 points. (O'Rourke 2, Cruz 1). 
6b. The Election card gives a +2 bonus to Democrats for this region (O'Rourke 4, Cruz 1)
6c. Often, Fortuity Cards will play a roll, but let's say neither one of them has one that applies to the election.
7. The Focus Governor for this region is a Republican (O'Rourke 4, Cruz 2)
8. Cruz has higher voter support than O'Rourke, who is less well-known. (O'Rourke 5, Cruz 5)
9. They're tied, so the highest number die roll will win the region. O'Rourke rolls a 4. Cruz rolls a 3. O'Rourke wins the Mid-Atlantic electoral points. 

Ok, @Reagan04 @Hestia11 @Conservative Elector 2 @AmericanChaos @CalebsParadox I'm going back to working on this now that I've updated the 2020 Scenario (which I'll update again after constructive feedback). Hopefully, I'll be able to playtest this card game/board game in a week. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Ok, @Reagan04 @Hestia11 @Conservative Elector 2 @AmericanChaos @CalebsParadox I'm going back to working on this now that I've updated the 2020 Scenario (which I'll update again after constructive feedback). Hopefully, I'll be able to playtest this card game/board game in a week. 

I was hoping you'd resume your historical U.S. Presidential scenarios, personally, but, oh well...

23 minutes ago, Patine said:

I was hoping you'd resume your historical U.S. Presidential scenarios, personally, but, oh well...

I’m waiting for favorability to come out for those.