270soft Forum
vcczar

Game idea

10 hours ago, AmericanChaos said:

Office Cards update #4.
I've fixed some design things, added the former gov, sen, and rep. I also added a key at the end and back-of-the-card design, that could be changed or improved if you wished.

Office Cards.docx

This looks good! Ultimately, I think the Office Cards should just say Offices on the back. I think the Events and Politicians should also have the year that they enter on the back. Probably something like E-2000 or P-1988. This will make it much easier to set up the game. We can discuss the back of the cards further down the road. 

We may end up reducing the number of offices if it slows down the game too much. One of my concerns is getting from 1788 to present under a certain number of hours. Offices change every term, but we can keep it this way and discuss that after playtesting. I think post playtesting will probably result in cutting and simplifying, but hopefully the game runs so smoothly that it isn't necessary. I'll keep track of anything we cut or simplify in the event this gets converted into a computer game, in which case I have all sorts of ideas to add to the game. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

This looks good! Ultimately, I think the Office Cards should just say Offices on the back. I think the Events and Politicians should also have the year that they enter on the back. Probably something like E-2000 or P-1988. This will make it much easier to set up the game. We can discuss the back of the cards further down the road. 

We may end up reducing the number of offices if it slows down the game too much. One of my concerns is getting from 1788 to present under a certain number of hours. Offices change every term, but we can keep it this way and discuss that after playtesting. I think post playtesting will probably result in cutting and simplifying, but hopefully the game runs so smoothly that it isn't necessary. I'll keep track of anything we cut or simplify in the event this gets converted into a computer game, in which case I have all sorts of ideas to add to the game. 

Okay. Sounds great! When you're ready to make the event cards, or any other cards, let me know and I'll get to it.

Another simple fix would be putting the Title of the game on the back, and then the card type. Ex:
GAME TITLE
Event Card

Or even just "Event Card", "Office Card" , etc.

2 hours ago, AmericanChaos said:

Okay. Sounds great! When you're ready to make the event cards, or any other cards, let me know and I'll get to it.

Another simple fix would be putting the Title of the game on the back, and then the card type. Ex:
GAME TITLE
Event Card

Or even just "Event Card", "Office Card" , etc.

I'll have a preliminary version of the event cards up shortly. It's probably the card that will change the most often from now to the final draft. 

@AmericanChaos

Here's a really rough outline of what needs to be on the Event Cards. It's cluttery. I'll leave it up to you to design in, but this is what needs to be on this cards. Font size 10 for most of the text for sure. These cards will be almost all text. The top right is for a judicial icon or something that marks whether or not an event/decision can be challenged by the Supreme Court. 

The boxes for these will probably be different sizes, depending on the amount of text needed for that event. Some won't even need the repeal or ignore box. Some might not need the special box either. 

template_events.png

looks good, how do you resolve or fail to resolve events?

10 minutes ago, Ido said:

looks good, how do you resolve or fail to resolve events?

Depends on the events. For instance an executive event might require that other executive events (actions) or legislation have been put in place first, that the military or budget or something else is at least at a certain level, the ability of the president and other officer's handling the event, and then there is the dice roll. 

Here are the descriptions of the office cards, if anyone is interested. 

OfficeCards.docx