270soft Forum
vcczar

Game idea

@President Trenton Adamscan you provide a link for an empty template? (preferably with both Democrat and Republican symbols)

1 minute ago, Ido said:

@President Trenton Adamscan you provide a link for an empty template? (preferably with both Democrat and Republican symbols)

I'd deal with vcczar on making templates. He's in charge here.

ok thanks, i want to try and make some cards so i can make a "demo" in Tabletop Simulator

10 minutes ago, Ido said:

Well, technically Vcczar hasn't approved the template for use yet. I have templates that are ready to fill in, but they are only compatible with word. 

@vcczar any ideas for events you talked about? and how do traits affect the politicians?

8 minutes ago, Ido said:

@vcczar any ideas for events you talked about? and how do traits affect the politicians?

I was also confused how "traits" worked and how the little icons on the side worked. 

I'm sure you're tired of my spamming this thread, but I also made some example cards, which include a third party politician and an independent. I haven't filled out any traits or abilities, as I'm not quite sure what my choices are here, or how they come into play. Excuse any typos, or seeming lack of important details. Most of this was done using a quick search of the candidates and copy/paste editing. I was more than anything testing out the template and seeing how easy it would be for anyone to fill in information. 

Example Cards.docx

14 hours ago, Ido said:

The events are all the major presidential events/decisions. They are broken up into executive, legislative, and judicial. Traits affect how politicians perform on campaign, as president, and they can also affect the score the player gets based off whatever type of law is passed or executive actions is performed. I'll let everyone know more about it when I get the cards done so I can playtest it a few times. I'll probably make it a tabletop sim game as well, but only after it's "done"

Cool, are there any main "points" that affect campaign performance (which is also affected by traits?)

41 minutes ago, Ido said:

Cool, are there any main "points" that affect campaign performance (which is also affected by traits?)

Clarify what you mean by "points"? Generally campaign performance is measured by candidate support, personal traits, party support, and the success of the incumbent.  

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Clarify what you mean by "points"? Generally campaign performance is measured by candidate support, personal traits, party support, and the success of the incumbent.  

Are there ways to improve their different aspects?

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Are there ways to improve their different aspects?

Yeah, some of them. Candidate support can be earned a few ways. Personal traits can be gained. 

9 hours ago, AmericanChaos said:

I did notice a couple major players missing from your list. Will it be expanded?

It's possible. The players on the list are primarily people that historically had a shot at becoming president. Keep in mind that this game will actually go back to 1788. I currently have nearly 100 politicians for this 20 year period. We are looking at over 500 politicians if I expand to include every major player. If more are added, it will be after midterms, and I won't add more than say 4. I'll probably release a few more politicians, events, etc and update older ones every year or two, once this is released. 

@AmericanChaos

Here is a rough template and key for the office cards. You did so well with the colors, that I'll let you pick the preliminary colors (we could change them later if we need to).  To get an idea of the number for these, here are the offices needed. You could color them or decorate them similar to their seal of office or something. Outside feedback is welcome on the color design or pattern design. 

1. President of the United States

2. Vice President of the United States

3. Secretary of State

4. Focus Cabinet Officer #1 (I'll probably add traits that show each potential administrators specialty. So having the right focus cabinet officer during a crisis will be helpful).

5. Focus Cabinet Officer #2

6. Focus Ambassador

7. Chief Military Officer

8. Focus Military Officer

9. Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

10-13. Focus Associate Justices of the Supreme Court (this game will only have 5 justices. It will be assumed the others are there and that they are under the influence of these focus judges)

14. Speaker of the US House of Reps

15-23. Focus Governors (there are 9 regions: New England, Mid-Atlantic, Upper South, Deep South, Midwest, Great Plains, Southwest, Mountain States, West Coast. HI and AK are added to West Coast).

24-32. Focus Senators (same 9 regions above)

33. Former 1-term President (For Grover Cleveland, won't be used very often in this period of the game)

34. Former VP (Created for Joe Biden, or any VP that doesn't run as an incumbent VP, won't be used often)

35. Former Sec of State (created only because of Hillary Clinton. Won't be used very often in this phase of the game.)

36. Former Justice (This card won't be used very often, and maybe not at all in this period of the game, 2000-2020. Made for Charles Evans Hughes and John McLean for an earlier period. )

template_office_key.png

On 10/12/2018 at 6:25 AM, vcczar said:

It's possible. The players on the list are primarily people that historically had a shot at becoming president. Keep in mind that this game will actually go back to 1788. I currently have nearly 100 politicians for this 20 year period. We are looking at over 500 politicians if I expand to include every major player. If more are added, it will be after midterms, and I won't add more than say 4. I'll probably release a few more politicians, events, etc and update older ones every year or two, once this is released. 

Actually I compared the list I made of people that were missing to your list and found all 6 democrats and all but one republican. Trey Gowdy. I think he'd be considered a major player in some cases. Anyway, good work so far. I'll get started on the new card ASAP.

1 hour ago, AmericanChaos said:

Actually I compared the list I made of people that were missing to your list and found all 6 democrats and all but one republican. Trey Gowdy. I think he'd be considered a major player in some cases. Anyway, good work so far. I'll get started on the new card ASAP.

I'll add Gowdy if he ever 1) runs for president, 2) becomes a Senate leader, 3) becomes a major cabinet member, 4) is nominated to the Supreme Court, 5) becomes VP, 6) receives a lot of speculation for running for president or becoming a VP nominee in 2020. 

Also, I could add him if I end up having this game focus only on the 21st century, rather than a game that goes from 1788-present. I'm more likely to add Kevin McCarthy and Boehner before I add Gowdey though. Obviously, if there is a lot of demand for him, then I'll add him, but this game is looking like it will exceed 500 politician cards...

Thanks for your help on the cards. I already finished the Democrat politicians. Waiting for the Republicans ( @Reagan04). I'm going to finish the Independents tomorrow. I'll probably have all the events figured out by the end of Friday. I know all the events I"m going to use, it's just a matter of making sure they work realistically.

My major conundrum is the scoring system. How much calculation becomes too much in a card game? 

Just now, vcczar said:

I'll add Gowdy if he ever 1) runs for president, 2) becomes a Senate leader, 3) becomes a major cabinet member, 4) is nominated to the Supreme Court, 5) becomes VP, 6) receives a lot of speculation for running for president or becoming a VP nominee in 2020. 

Also, I could add him if I end up having this game focus only on the 21st century, rather than a game that goes from 1788-present. I'm more likely to add Kevin McCarthy and Boehner before I add Gowdey though. Obviously, if there is a lot of demand for him, then I'll add him, but this game is looking like it will exceed 500 politician cards...

Thanks for your help on the cards. I already finished the Democrat politicians. Waiting for the Republicans ( @Reagan04). I'm going to finish the Independents tomorrow. I'll probably have all the events figured out by the end of Friday. I know all the events I"m going to use, it's just a matter of making sure they work realistically.

My major conundrum is the scoring system. How much calculation becomes too much in a card game? 

I got hit with a surprise camping trip this week, you will have the GOP by the end of tomorrow. So sorry for the delay!

Yeah, I get that. I was confused and thought you were going to have a majority of the big party names in the game, after seeing a lot of the Democratic cards. Anyway, it's all good.

As for the points, I have no clue. I can design, but thats about it. I enjoy making the templates so no problem.

25 minutes ago, AmericanChaos said:

Yeah, I get that. I was confused and thought you were going to have a majority of the big party names in the game, after seeing a lot of the Democratic cards. Anyway, it's all good.

As for the points, I have no clue. I can design, but thats about it. I enjoy making the templates so no problem.

I'll come up with the scoring. I'm just wondering, would having to calculate a score after every event is handled by the president or congress be a deterrent to you as a gamer? I'd also like to see what @Reagan04 and @Hestia11 think about this. This will help a lot in me figuring out how to do the scoring system. I'd like it to be as simplified as possible without losing the complexity of the game play. Sadly, I think frequent calculating may be required for a more realistic experience. If it is a deterrent, I may have to simplify the game. 

@Reagan04 @vcczar I totally missed out that we started already, I am very sorry. 

For not doing any wrong, which template do we use now? Perhaps Reagan can pass one of his cards via Email to me, so I can see what the progress has been by now.

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

@Reagan04 @vcczar I totally missed out that we started already, I am very sorry. 

For not doing any wrong, which template do we use now? Perhaps Reagan can pass one of his cards via Email to me, so I can see what the progress has been by now.

No problem. We ended up not using Google docs, so I had only two major files to send, rather than shareable files. If @Reagan04 gets busy, he can pass the file on to you to finish it up. The next major thing I'll need help on is with the Events/Decisions, followed by playtesting.