270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lizphairphreak

Experience with custom ads and news stories?

Might be a bit random, but was wondering if anyone had experience in these areas when using the campaign editor.

Custom ad types- I'm hoping to work on some local elections and local races very rarely have TV ads, more often there will be yard signs and maybe mailers if a candidate has enough to spend. I've tried to make new ad types before but it's been clunky for me. Has anyone made anything like this work? Also, to extend the run time of an ad to be for many weeks / months, because ads like yard signs tend to stay throughout the election.

News stories- There seems to be so much potential in that engine and I've only just scratched the surface, so I was wondering if anyone has done more with it. What I mean is, using news stories as an opportunity to move the needle on certain issues and have an effect on more than just impacting a candidate's momentum.

3 hours ago, lizphairphreak said:

Might be a bit random, but was wondering if anyone had experience in these areas when using the campaign editor.

Custom ad types- I'm hoping to work on some local elections and local races very rarely have TV ads, more often there will be yard signs and maybe mailers if a candidate has enough to spend. I've tried to make new ad types before but it's been clunky for me. Has anyone made anything like this work? Also, to extend the run time of an ad to be for many weeks / months, because ads like yard signs tend to stay throughout the election.

News stories- There seems to be so much potential in that engine and I've only just scratched the surface, so I was wondering if anyone has done more with it. What I mean is, using news stories as an opportunity to move the needle on certain issues and have an effect on more than just impacting a candidate's momentum.

I have made a few old scenarios (as in time period the election took place) for various TheorySpark game that are pre-television (pre-1950's) and even pre-radio (pre-1910's) in the technology used in the actual election. I've filled things in with poster ads, pamphlet ads, word-of-mouth ads, and (a BIG thing in the 1824-1836 U.S. Presidential elections) the infamous contrafacta ads. Was there specific advise you were looking for?

That's really cool, actually-- I completely didn't think of older-time scenarios.

I think that the advice I'm maybe looking for (but struggling to articulate) would be: how do you construct alternate ad types to fit into the game well, in terms of reach/impact, cost. and how AI approaches them. I made a custom scenario once in my hometown and changed ads to be only newspaper and public access tv (so, the TV ads were actually less impactful!) but didn't notice how they worked in the dynamic of the game or how the AI approached it. The other issue in that was that for some reason, I was able to change costs but fundraisers still brought in hundreds of thousands, so every candidate had millions in their war chest-- this isn't really a question, but it fit into how the ads didn't have much impact.

The other issue is that of PACs, and the independent advertisements run by PACs without player input-- how do you factor that into custom ad types.

So I think my questions would fit in along the lines of, how did you create custom ad types and make them work into the game at least somewhat realistically. Apologies for a ramble here.

1 hour ago, lizphairphreak said:

That's really cool, actually-- I completely didn't think of older-time scenarios.

I think that the advice I'm maybe looking for (but struggling to articulate) would be: how do you construct alternate ad types to fit into the game well, in terms of reach/impact, cost. and how AI approaches them. I made a custom scenario once in my hometown and changed ads to be only newspaper and public access tv (so, the TV ads were actually less impactful!) but didn't notice how they worked in the dynamic of the game or how the AI approached it. The other issue in that was that for some reason, I was able to change costs but fundraisers still brought in hundreds of thousands, so every candidate had millions in their war chest-- this isn't really a question, but it fit into how the ads didn't have much impact.

The other issue is that of PACs, and the independent advertisements run by PACs without player input-- how do you factor that into custom ad types.

So I think my questions would fit in along the lines of, how did you create custom ad types and make them work into the game at least somewhat realistically. Apologies for a ramble here.

PAC's can be toggled off, and there's a fundraising coefficient (similar to the money coefficient, but not tethered to it) somewhere in the works of those scenarios.