270soft Forum
Patine

Hypothetical United States (Rump Nation) Presidential Election 2048 - A Starting Scenario

20 minutes ago, vcczar said:

same username

Sorry I missed meeting you in Steam yesterday. I was very suddenly busy. Will you be on this weekend?

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Sorry I missed meeting you in Steam yesterday. I was very suddenly busy. Will you be on this weekend?

Hard to tell. Will be random. You usually seem to catch me one there. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:01 AM, RI Democrat said:

It was an allusion to these two geniuses:

Beavis_and_Butt-head_titlecard.png

I thought that said MARK Judge's Beavis and Butthead for a moment there and thought "wow he's still as immature as they were in Kavanaugh's yearbook."

6 minutes ago, Wiw said:

A question: why is it called "Rump Nation"?

The term "rump nation" (or rump party or rump organization, in other usages) refers to a historical context where a larger nation (or other entity) has been greatly reduced or has schismed in size, but a given successor entity can claim, with a greater validity, de jure or de facto, to be the true claimant of being the actual "successor" entity, and styling itself such, despite a significant reduction in size. The term is only ever unofficial, and is NEVER a formally recognized part of the "successor rump" entity's claimed name, which is almost always the name of the original entity before reduction or schism, or a very close term.

31 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

A question: is this heavily politically motivated and opinionated, like say vcczar's 2020?

I am an amateur (that is, unpublished - not a statement on writing or content quality) author of science fiction, fantasy, and other genres. However, I write to tell compelling and engaging stories, and that covers hypothetical, fictional scenarios as well. My own political and social beliefs are not meant to be vindicated or artificially expounded, in an overtly unrealistic way, in my writings and these kinds of scenarios. This particular scenario reflects certain trends I've observed, moved and extrapolated along a story timeline. There's another thread, which I'll link below, that deals with the whole world in this hypothetical future vision, and you'll see there being single, no obvious "political leaning or vindication" present. I do not write wish-fulfillment fiction (or fictional scenarios), and I heavily criticize such fiction, up to, and including the works of such luminaries as J.K. Rawlings. If it were actually political vindication and wish fulfillment, it would look nothing like, nor like any "liberal political screed story" you might imagine, because my political point-of-view is not that simple, and is not easily pegged on the modern zeitgeist of political stances - especially not on the binary, socio-political neo-Manichaeist modern American political axis.

11 hours ago, Patine said:

I am an amateur (that is, unpublished - not a statement on writing or content quality) author of science fiction, fantasy, and other genres. However, I write to tell compelling and engaging stories, and that covers hypothetical, fictional scenarios as well. My own political and social beliefs are not meant to be vindicated or artificially expounded, in an overtly unrealistic way, in my writings and these kinds of scenarios. This particular scenario reflects certain trends I've observed, moved and extrapolated along a story timeline. There's another thread, which I'll link below, that deals with the whole world in this hypothetical future vision, and you'll see there being single, no obvious "political leaning or vindication" present. I do not write wish-fulfillment fiction (or fictional scenarios), and I heavily criticize such fiction, up to, and including the works of such luminaries as J.K. Rawlings. If it were actually political vindication and wish fulfillment, it would look nothing like, nor like any "liberal political screed story" you might imagine, because my political point-of-view is not that simple, and is not easily pegged on the modern zeitgeist of political stances - especially not on the binary, socio-political neo-Manichaeist modern American political axis.

Alright, I was just asking because vcczar influenced things or things by vcczar are generally politically motivated. I think this idea at the moment is plausible.

@willpaddyg @daons @LegolasRedbard @Prussian1871 @wolves @SirLagsalott @michaelsdiamonds @victorraiders  @Falcon @jnewt @President Garrett Walker @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @SeanFKennedy @vcczar @jvikings1 @harveyrayson2 @lizarraba @TheMiddlePolitical @CalebsParadox @MrPrez @msc123123 @NYrepublican  @RI Democrat @servo75  @Presidentinsertname  @ThePotatoWalrus @Sunnymentoaddict @TheLiberalKitten @Quebecois @avatarmushi @Sami @WVProgressive @Kingthero @Lyly @President Trenton Adams @FrancisXKennedy @MBDemSoc @Ido@Thunder@Wiw@Harris/Ernst 2020@jnewt@Ishan@manlex @LokiLoki22 @IonicAmalgam @jdm06ltd @Berg2036 @ZedWilliamsR @Demon Taka @NYConservative@MBDemSoc @POLITICALBOMB @thr33 @Hestia11 

Additions to the issues stated above that are being considered are:

-Lunar, Martian, Antarctic, and Orbital Colonies (reminded by @jvikings1) - complicated by the fact that almost all of them were established pre-schism, and the sovereignty over them is now disputed by the Rump U.S., the Christian States, the WNAF, the Republic of California, and these own colonies growing endemic autonomist and independtist movements.

-Aftermath of the hasty and rushed agreements of the distribution of U.S. Federally-owned (especially Military) assets amongst the U.S. successor nations, which left many within and between those successor nations very dissatisfied.

-Experimental new energy sources.

-Legal code revisitation, review, and update.

-Educational reform and update.

-Rise of "dangerous cults" and their continued recognition under Freedom of Religion.

-Environmental issues (far more prevalent than today).

-And, I have yet to figure out a good way to parse @vcczar's suggested issue ideas into several issues.

These are some new ideas, here.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:35 PM, NYConservative said:

A question: is this heavily politically motivated and opinionated, like say vcczar's 2020?

As someone who disagrees with @vcczar on many, and probably most issues, I personally would not claim that his scenario is extremely biased towards one side.

@Patine I know that it's still very far off but I can help you brainstorm ideas for the State of Israel elections

1 hour ago, Ido said:

@Patine I know that it's still very far off but I can help you brainstorm ideas for the State of Israel elections

That would be helpful. I have a pretty good idea of the foreign and military situation that will be presented to Israel in the hypothetical future, which is different than RL today (then again, everyone's is here), but some internal insight would greatly help.

@Patine We could make Israel have direct elections that aren't proporsional like the 1996, 1999 and 2001 elections

P.S Israel will be 100 years old in 2048 we could make an Israel scenario together for that lol

19 minutes ago, Ido said:

@Patine We could make Israel have direct elections that aren't proporsional like the 1996, 1999 and 2001 elections

P.S Israel will be 100 years old in 2048 we could make an Israel scenario together for that lol

I will PM you what I have in mind for the foreign and military situation I'd envisioned facing Israel as of 2048 later this evening. Be sure to have you PM settings set to receive.

Ok, Israel is very concerned about foreign issues and the Palestinian conflict nowadays @Patine when do you expect to be able to PM me? I just want to be sure that I have free time to brainstorm all that stuff

46 minutes ago, Ido said:

Ok, Israel is very concerned about foreign issues and the Palestinian conflict nowadays @Patine when do you expect to be able to PM me? I just want to be sure that I have free time to brainstorm all that stuff

Alright, I'll contact you further. But, in my envisioning in 2048, things have gotten MUCH more complicated than just Israel and Palestine and some militias hiding across the Lebanese border. The whole global situation is highly shifted/evolved, keep in mind.

Of course, this could be fun

27 minutes ago, jdm06ltd said:

Add me to the scenario I will be running by then lol

Where did you plan to be living in 2048? If Texas, like your location on your avatar says, you'll have to be in the Christian States of America (the name for the Southern States after the breakup in the timeline, mostly to prevent people from thinking they're reintroducing slavery or such), but if in Pennsylvania (where you've also mentioned living), it could be possible, but you'd have to choose one of the parties at the beginning of the thread, or take your chances as an Independent.

2 minutes ago, jdm06ltd said:

New Republican out of Texas

The timeline I'm envisioning (which is fictitious, but like say, "1984," or "War of the Worlds," or "Hunger Games," or other such level of fiction - it's at least plausible, if not an outright prediction), the U.S., Canada, and EU, have kind of lost cohesion and collapsed into different polities. Internal social and political pressures are among the biggest culprits, and the Petroleum Market Crash in the late 2030's was the major moving catalyst. The political landscape is different. Texas is not politically a member of the United States (the term "rump" is a historical used here and there for when a larger political entity splits or collapses, but one of the successor states has a bigger claim on using the original polity's name, symbols, and identity - like other "rump" nations, the term "rump" is not used anywhere in the contemporary nation's name). Only the Mid-Atlantic, New England, and Midwest States (except Minnesota), and Maryland, Delaware, DC, and the Canadian Provinces of Ontario and the four Maritime Provinces officially remain in what is called "the United States." This broader-scope thread, though incomplete, details far enough to cover the envisioned socio-political layout of North America as of the start of 2048 in this timeline.

@jdm06ltd Anyways, if you do wish me to fit you in, please read the relevant backstory, and then let me know what you'd like. This applies to anyone else who may be interested as well, on this, or if more geo-politically relevant or likely, another nation's scenario by the setup of nations as presented. I'm not judging anyone's ideology or point-of-view on this one.

@willpaddyg @daons @LegolasRedbard @Prussian1871 @wolves @SirLagsalott @michaelsdiamonds @victorraiders  @Falcon @jnewt @President Garrett Walker @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @SeanFKennedy @vcczar @jvikings1 @harveyrayson2 @lizarraba @TheMiddlePolitical @CalebsParadox @MrPrez @msc123123 @NYrepublican  @RI Democrat @servo75  @Presidentinsertname  @ThePotatoWalrus @Sunnymentoaddict @TheLiberalKitten @Quebecois @avatarmushi @Sami @WVProgressive @Kingthero @Lyly @President Trenton Adams @FrancisXKennedy @MBDemSoc @Ido@Thunder@Wiw@Harris/Ernst 2020@jnewt@Ishan@manlex @LokiLoki22 @IonicAmalgam @jdm06ltd @Berg2036 @ZedWilliamsR @Demon Taka @NYConservative@MBDemSoc @POLITICALBOMB @thr33 @Hestia11 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, Patine said:

Progressive Party (Party of outgoing incumbent Nathan Krieger, not running for re-election):

-Vice-President Sarah Black of New Jersey

-Senator Lionel Hausen of New Hampshire

-Secretary of Commerce Kelvin Vietta of Maine

-Federal Justice Maria Buaventura of Ohio

-Congressman Hashid Khan of Ontario

-Congressman Gregory Yakinoza of Wisconsin

-Professor Darina Ferdinando of Pennsylvania

Social Democratic Party:

-Senator Maxwell Carson of Wisconsin

-Governor Roberta Chang of Ontario

-Congressman Shannon Lawrence of Vermont

-Union President Jason Zackharovsky of New York

-Online Blogger Rebecca Norwich-Jamayarita of Delaware

New Republican Party:

-Former Vice-President Gareth Young of Indiana

-Mr. Henry Norman (very important character)

-Senator Belinda Eastwood of Iowa

-Senator Robert Hartnell of Nova Scotia

-Governor Harriet Vintner of Connecticut

-Mayor Jacob Eppstein of New York

-Congresswoman Victoria Grey of Ontario

-Congressman James Iturbide of Wisconsin

-Mr. Victor Sutherland III of New York

Reformed Restoration Party:

-Former Speaker Angela Santiago of Illinois

-Former Senator Chatty Bhamadaria of Massachusetts

-Former Secretary of Education Kelvin Halcyon of Illinois

-Former Congressman Reba Kelly of Maryland

-Former First Lady Larissa Nelphentherios-Greene of Rhode Island

Green Party:

-Congressman Harold Golghuz of Michigan

-Professor Vera Friederland of Maine

-Ms. Andrea Remirez of New Brunswick

Unified American Workers' Party:

-Former Senator (originally under the Social Democratic label) David Teranchuk of Ontario

-Union President Nellie Badgely of Michigan

-Mr. Shawn Obwande of Massachusetts

-Mr. Ricardo Chamarro of New Jersey

-Ms. Griselda Zelgensky of Wisconsin

Black Tigers:

-State Legislator Carter Redman (aka Omar Karim) of New York

-Former Councillor Ester Labwande-Pamino of the District of Columbia

-Mr. Bruce Stanford (rapper stage name Steel Killa) of New Jersey

-"Prophetess" Janice Sharambwe of Indiana (same apocalyptic cult - with the same assumed and changed last name - as an Independent candidate from Illinois in my "Divergent Point" U.S. scenario 2028 I had planned, by the way).

-Newfoundland and Labrador First Party:

-Congresswoman Sally Clark of Newfoundland and Labrador

-Mr. Larry Meghan of Newfoundland and Labrador

-Dr. Charlie Upton of Newfoundland and Labrador

Acadian Bloc:

-Former (and last) Premier (before annexation) Norman DeValle of Nova Scotia

-Mayor Jean-Paul Harrault of New Brunswick

-Ms. Margot Ipswitch of Prince Edward Island

Bunker Hill Party:

-Former Admiral Edwin Miller of Massachusetts

-Pilgrim Heritage Foundation President Fred Barton of Rhode Island

-National Guard Colonel Oliver Withers of Iowa

-Former Ambassador Angela Carlton of Delaware

-Reverend Samson Jan Varjem of Ohio

Tecumseh Pact:

-Chief Gregory Canasatego of New York

Independent:

-Mr. Steven Paschelli of Connecticut

-Former Governor Janice Sung of Rhode Island

-Former Mayor and State Senator Carlos Guerrera of Ohio

-Former Governing Commissioner of Armstrong City (one of the U.S. Lunar Colonies) Kelvin Laringo of (currently) Michigan

-Dr. Henrico Selvio of Massachusetts (claims not to be an Independent, but the leader of a revival of Zoltan Istvan's Transhumanist Party, but this party is currently unregistered)

-"Supreme Leader" Marcus Jaruzelski of Iowa

-Professor Janine Vinh of Michigan

-Mayor Jaxon Frieland of Washington, DC

A few more additions and updates to my candidates list here.

@willpaddyg @daons @LegolasRedbard @Prussian1871 @wolves @SirLagsalott @michaelsdiamonds @victorraiders  @Falcon @jnewt @President Garrett Walker @Reagan04 @Conservative Elector 2 @SeanFKennedy @vcczar @jvikings1 @harveyrayson2 @lizarraba @TheMiddlePolitical @CalebsParadox @MrPrez @msc123123 @NYrepublican  @RI Democrat @servo75  @Presidentinsertname  @ThePotatoWalrus @Sunnymentoaddict @TheLiberalKitten @Quebecois @avatarmushi @Sami @WVProgressive @Kingthero @Lyly @President Trenton Adams @FrancisXKennedy @MBDemSoc @Ido@Thunder@Wiw@Harris/Ernst 2020@jnewt@Ishan@manlex @LokiLoki22 @IonicAmalgam @jdm06ltd @Berg2036 @ZedWilliamsR @Demon Taka @NYConservative@MBDemSoc @POLITICALBOMB @thr33 @Hestia11 @Actinguy @SilentLiberty @darkmoon72

Back to something a bit more productive than debating government systems neither I, those who agree with me, nor those who I disagree with, have any direct power or ability to personally change, reinforce, influence, or affect meaningfully in the short and foreseeable term. Just as a note, the remainder (rump successor nation) to the U.S. proper in this timeline, though it technically retains, by claim of direct national and legal succession, the current Constitution of the United States (the other successor nations have written their own, separate Constitutions upon secession and national creation, and many are based on the U.S. Constitution, but tailored to their own needs and why they seceded, but some of the individual States, but only some, who are now members of the Christian States of American and the Western North American Federation, as well most of the States part of the rump, or successor, United States, maintain their current State Constitutions). However, sheer necessity and radically changed circumstances led to a number of amendments being to adapt. These include:

-Alterations to laws around suing State governments and foreign national governments in U.S. Federal Courts.

-The definition of a "natural born citizen" (very important and necessary when three-quarters of the nation such "fell off" - as well as to address the citizenship of those born in U.S. Lunar Colonies, which are still, by this point, being run as territories or commonwealths, as well as the citizenship in a "natural-born status" of the five Canadian Provinces that joined the U.S. as States along this timeline).

-Although the EC still exists, the effective existence of four viable parties and uncertain marginal status remaining of several others, means that a run-off election between the two highest EV-scorers in the event of no majority of EV's being gained, instead of the outgoing House deciding the President and the outgoing Senate deciding the Vice-President.

-Making firm definitions in the nebulous and gray legal area of how Freedom of Speech truly and definitely applies online.

-Redefining Federal vs. State powers in light of modern infrastructural and economic concerns (one of the planks that Bunker Hill Party rose to existence on in the greatest part).

-Repealing the 22nd Amendment was discussed, and still has a number of candidates supporting, and is an issue in this election, but has not been formally passed.

@NYrepublican @Conservative Elector 2 or any other good map makers: Is there any way I could possibly request a map that only includes the New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Mid-West (except Minnesota) U.S. States, as well as Iowa, Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the current Canadian Provinces of Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labrador, possibly, please?