270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

The Appropriate Attitude of a Modern Leader

Today, among other things (MANY other things - certainly more than should be tolerated), there is a real issue with the attitude on leadership and their position and office by many modern leaders. There is the egotism and riding high on the praise (often unwarranted) and cult of personality of Trump, Duerte, and Erdogan, the smugness of Netanyahu, the coyness and derision of Putin, the self-righteousness of Modi, the complacence of Merkel and Abe, the smarminess of Trudeau and (formerly) Berlusconi, the aristocratic airs of May (and pretty much everyone whose ever been a leader of the British Conservative Party, except maybe Major), the backward, reactionary thinking formerly of Ahern, and other glaring examples of this time of attitude of leadership. In a nation which is NOT by definition an absolute monarchy, a feudal state, a theocracy, a fascist state, a tribal structure or tribal confederation, or other such government where the people LEGALLY, ON PAPER, and IN STATED LAW have no power or rights, and the nation de jure belongs to and is completely beholden to the will of the ruling class - especially modern nations with generous constitutions, leaders should NOT hold this attitude, and this attitude should be considered UTTERLY inappropriate. Leadership in these nations should NOT be considered a right, and entitlement, a guarantee, or a reward or privilege in and of itself. Such leaders should NOT be elevated above the common citizen or considered automatically of greater merit or having a higher threshold of judicial process to declare them legally wanting, or have special protections and immunities for committing actual CRIMES by nature of their office that common citizens do not. These leaders should, in fact, be considered, and consider themselves, "servants of the people," as Plato wrote in his book "the Republic," in fact, and should make personal sacrifices for the good of their constituents whenever possible, and NEVER DEMAND the reverse. They should be HUMBLE (and yes, I use that word). As a famous line from a very famous song by U2 goes, "if you wanna kiss the sky, you gotta learn how to kneel."

1 hour ago, Patine said:

As a famous line from a very famous song by U2 goes, "if you wanna kiss the sky, you gotta learn how to kneel."

I prefer "bitch be humble, sit down" - Kendrick Lamar

25 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I prefer "bitch be humble, sit down" - Kendrick Lamar

I prefer music with evocative poetic metaphor, myself.