270soft Forum
Patine

A Libertarian Party Member is Not an Independent

@admin_270

So, I got the email notification about the update to CI. While the official scenarios aren't the big reason I buy the games, unlike many TheorySpark customers, I did notice something in the preview that irked me, just by terminology. It said, for the official Senate 2018 scenario, "Frmr. New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson added as an Independent." According to all sources I can find on the issue, he is running as a candidate for a U.S. Senate seat in New Mexico for the Libertarian Party, which he ran for on his Presidential bids in the 2012 and 2016 U.S. Presidential Elections. That means he indeed has a political party label and affiliation. An "Independent," by definition, has no such party label or affiliation at all - it is not a term can even be appropriately conflated with candidates for minor political parties if they're actually organized, recognized, and registered parties (although some candidates in electoral history around the world have run as Independents because they're official party affiliation has been banned, de-registered, or kept off the ballot by any number of other reasons, or the candidate, for whatever reason, doesn't want to publicly declare it, or the official party they belong to nominated a different candidate for the same office they plan on running for, but a nomination they disagree with - but this is CERTAINLY not the case with Johnson).

Initially, I put him as Libertarian. However, after looking more carefully at his campaign, it is clear that in terms of his campaign message, he is running as an 'independent'.

Look at his campaign web-site.

gary_johnson_senate.thumb.jpg.eaab8090d348f64d6080fc74b7896192.jpg

That he is running as a Libertarian candidate is barely mentioned. There is a small Libertarian party logo in the bottom corner.

More text from his main page

"One Senator, fiercely independent and loyal only to the people he serves, can be the spark that ignites the change we so urgently need."

The Libertarian party is not mentioned on his About page or the Endorsements page. Rand Paul's endorsement as quoted describes Johnson as a 'true fiscal conservative'. The only mention I can find is in some of the media articles linked to from his News page. However, in the game, it does mention he is running as a Libertarian party candidate in his intro blurb.

So, my view is that technically, he is running as a Libertarian candidate, but in terms of messaging, he is running as an independent. These are not really at odds, as practically if elected, he would act as an independent, being the only Libertarian member of the Senate.

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Initially, I put him as Libertarian. However, after looking more carefully at his campaign, it is clear that in terms of his campaign message, he is running as an 'independent'.

Look at his campaign web-site.

gary_johnson_senate.thumb.jpg.eaab8090d348f64d6080fc74b7896192.jpg

That he is running as a Libertarian candidate is barely mentioned. There is a small Libertarian party logo in the bottom corner.

More text from his main page

"One Senator, fiercely independent and loyal only to the people he serves, can be the spark that ignites the change we so urgently need."

The Libertarian party is not mentioned on his About page or the Endorsements page. Rand Paul's endorsement as quoted describes Johnson as a 'true fiscal conservative'. The only mention I can find is in some of the media articles linked to from his News page. However, in the game, it does mention he is running as a Libertarian party candidate in his intro blurb.

So, my view is that technically, he is running as a Libertarian candidate, but in terms of messaging, he is running as an independent. These are not really at odds, as practically if elected, he would act as an independent, being the only Libertarian member of the Senate.

Will you at least fill in the letter 'I' logo party icon yellow, like Nader's was filled in green in the old, old, 2004 campaign?

:)

Initially, his party logo was Libertarian, but I felt it made more sense in terms of the campaign's dynamics to put it as the Independent, as that's the main conceptual distinction when it comes to Senators. It might modify it.

You can feel free to use this if you wish. I gave a whole bunch of coloured 'I' logos for @vcczar to use, and I use them extensively myself.

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Thanks for this - I might.

It would also be nice if Johnson's color was different than Bernie's and King's (preferably similar to the gold libertarian color)

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Thanks for this - I might.

14 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

It would also be nice if Johnson's color was different than Bernie's and King's (preferably similar to the gold libertarian color)

Perhaps also changing Sanders' colour to the dark, pine green that the Liberty Union of Vermont - the State-level party he helped found in the late '70's - used (and still use, as far as I know). Just a thought there.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:47 PM, Patine said:

Perhaps also changing Sanders' colour to the dark, pine green that the Liberty Union of Vermont - the State-level party he helped found in the late '70's - used (and still use, as far as I know). Just a thought there.

He isn't part of it and that Party runs candidates against him