270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jnewt

What if these Republicans were around today?

WHICH PARTY WOULD THESE DEMOCRATS IDENTIFY WITH IF THEY WERE BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE AND EDUCATED ON THE ISSUES IN 2018?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Check for Republican Party, leave blank for Democratic Party, comment for other

• Abraham Lincoln
    • Ulysses S. Grant
    • Rutherford B. Hayes
    • James Garfield
    • Chester Arthur
    • Benjamin Harrison
    • William McKinley
    • Theodore Roosevelt
    • William Howard Taft
    • Warren Harding
    • Calvin Coolidge
    • Herbert Hoover
    • Dwight Eisenhower
    • John Fremont
    • James Blaine
    • Charles Evans Hughes
    • Robert La Follette
    • Wendell Wilkie
    • Thomas Dewey
    • None of these politicians would be Republicans today
  2. 2. Continued

• Hiram Johnson
    • William Borah
    • Earl Warren
    • Nelson Rockefeller
    • None of these politicians would be Republicans today

Which party would these Republicans identify with if they were brought back to life and educated on the issues in 2018?

Theodore Roosevelt will obviously switch for the Dems considering social positions and evironmentalism

My views on the early Republican presidents. 

Abe Lincoln: Tough one. Social issues, Lincoln should be a Democrat- as he took liberal positions for his time period. Yet his economic policies placed him a bit to the center/center-right. I can see him either being a liberal northern Republican(In the mold of Charlie Baker) or a centrist Democrat.

Grant: Again with Lincoln, he would essentially be a liberal Republican, or  a centrist Democrat.

Rutherford B Hayes: He would still be a Republican today. I feel his use of federal troops to break up the Railroad Strike of 1877 would translate well into a party that is openly skeptical/hostile towards organized labor. 

Chester A. Arthur: I feel he would be a center-right Republican. His positions on civil service reform and social issues(rights for black Americans)would put him to the center-left column. However his views on immigration, and the building of new naval ships, and encouraging trade in Latin America would shift him to the center-right/right column.

12 hours ago, jnewt said:

Which party would these Republicans identify with if they were brought back to life and educated on the issues in 2018?

Eisenhower (as well as Nixon and Clinton, at least the latter when he was President, not how he portrays himself now, just to throw them in to make a point here) were all far too centrist, all-in-all, to be shining stars and excite the electorate in today's extremely polarized political environment. And this environment is not a good thing - in fact, in my personal opinion and prognosis, it's a very negative and self-destructive thing that's heading toward a socio-political death spiral. Nonetheless, this is my current analysis on "unexciting centrist" Presidents like Eisenhower (or Nixon or Clinton) in today's political climate.

9 hours ago, Patine said:

Eisenhower (as well as Nixon and Clinton, at least the latter when he was President, not how he portrays himself now, just to throw them in to make a point here) were all far too centrist, all-in-all, to be shining stars and excite the electorate in today's extremely polarized political environment. And this environment is not a good thing - in fact, in my personal opinion and prognosis, it's a very negative and self-destructive thing that's heading toward a socio-political death spiral. Nonetheless, this is my current analysis on "unexciting centrist" Presidents like Eisenhower (or Nixon or Clinton) in today's political climate.

I think the USA always been a great melting pot of different cultures, not as far as the European Union can be, but enough to have strong political divisions today.