270soft Forum
ThePotatoWalrus

First Unofficial 270soft Chess Tournament

Chess Poll  

15 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you wish to enter the chess tournament?

• Yes, I wish to play
    • No, but I am interested in following
    • No, and I am not interested in following

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2018 at 03:59 AM

I figured that since it is clear that we all share a common love for strategy and tactics, I figured that it might be fun to have a little tournament in the OG strategy game, chess, as a fun community event. 

Vote in the poll that you wish to be in, and you will get a number. The poll will close on the 7th, and the games will start a little after that. The numbers will be randomly paired with another number and that is who you will play. The tourney will work in brackets, and you will play 3 games with that person. If a draw occurs, the game will not count. The first player to win two games will move on. Once we get to the final two players, they will play first to three wins. The winner of the final game will become the 270soft Grandmaster until the next 270soft Chess tournament, where they will have to defend their title against the next winner of the brackets. I'm looking to get 8 players.

The games will be 10-minute games, with an increment of 3 seconds for each move (12 minutes in a 40 move game). The title game will be 15 minutes in length with no increment. (Though, if requested, the times for games can change.) Each player will play white at least once (and at least twice in the title game).

I will make brackets, and maybe even a trophy once the event gets underway.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, please consider joining!

When I was in undergrad, I used to play about 20 chess games a day at a coffee shop, while we would discuss history, politics, philosophy, art, literature, etc. (This is pre-wifi in coffee shops). Five of my friends were tournament level players. One tied Karpov, and another could play 8 games of chess simultaneously without looking at the boards. I beat them and drew them all at least once, but they won 98% of the time. I was the best of the non-tournament players, a distant 6th overall. 

Our coffee shop was supposed to play another coffee shop in a coffee shop "tournament" one year (2004?). A few days before the tournament, I went to the other coffee shop and played their self-declared best player (who had challenged our coffee shop) to a game. I ended up beating him in a rather strange game. Hardly any pieces were taken, and I checkmated him with a pawn in the back rank. He called the tournament off after this game. 

My two most unusual games involved me beating my roommate (at the time better than me in chess) in my usual coffee shop in a game in which no pieces were taken. The knight checkmated him and he couldn't take the knight. I then had the opposite occur--same coffee shop--in which I beat someone and took all of their pieces and somehow didn't fall into a stalemate or an accidental checkmate before. 

I didn't start out good. In 2001, I would play 20 games, and lose all but about 2 to 4. By 2002, I would win about 15 of 20.  By mid-2002, I was beating all the non-tournament players that used to crush me. 

That said, I've only played about 10 total chess games since 2008 (10 years---1 game a year). So I'm really rusty right now, but I look forward to either winning or losing again. 

21 minutes ago, vcczar said:

When I was in undergrad, I used to play about 20 chess games a day at a coffee shop, while we would discuss history, politics, philosophy, art, literature, etc. (This is pre-wifi in coffee shops). Five of my friends were tournament level players. One tied Karpov, and another could play 8 games of chess simultaneously without looking at the boards. I beat them and drew them all at least once, but they won 98% of the time. I was the best of the non-tournament players, a distant 6th overall. 

Our coffee shop was supposed to play another coffee shop in a coffee shop "tournament" one year (2004?). A few days before the tournament, I went to the other coffee shop and played their self-declared best player (who had challenged our coffee shop) to a game. I ended up beating him in a rather strange game. Hardly any pieces were taken, and I checkmated him with a pawn in the back rank. He called the tournament off after this game. 

My two most unusual games involved me beating my roommate (at the time better than me in chess) in my usual coffee shop in a game in which no pieces were taken. The knight checkmated him and he couldn't take the knight. I then had the opposite occur--same coffee shop--in which I beat someone and took all of their pieces and somehow didn't fall into a stalemate or an accidental checkmate before. 

I didn't start out good. In 2001, I would play 20 games, and lose all but about 2 to 4. By 2002, I would win about 15 of 20.  By mid-2002, I was beating all the non-tournament players that used to crush me. 

That said, I've only played about 10 total chess games since 2008 (10 years---1 game a year). So I'm really rusty right now, but I look forward to either winning or losing again. 

The fact that you beat someone who tied Karpov is actually pretty amazing. Resume type material there. If we get three more players we could start a little early maybe.

18 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

The fact that you beat someone who tied Karpov is actually pretty amazing. Resume type material there. If we get three more players we could start a little early maybe.

My schedule is a little unpredictable, so you'll have to be flexible with my schedule, unfortunately. I took the guy who beat Karpov by surprise. Surprised me too, actually. He was laughing and red face--embarrassed. The guy that could play 8 people in chess at the same time ended up being better than him. He started playing late (19 years old). Everyone said he would have been a grand master if he started at age 4 to 7. However, the guy that beat Karpov was a master of speed chess. It was amazing to see. He would play to get the other person to get low on time and force a game of split second moves. He would be losing, his hand looked like a peach blur, and you'd see his defenses building back up like a time motion video of an anti-hill growing out of the earth, and then all his forces would move forward until victory. It was insane. 

In all cases, you had to be aggressive right at the beginning. The longer you draw out a game with a good player the more likely the worse player will start blundering. All my wins against the great players came quickly, and would involve risky, but calculated moves, since they had memorized anything orthodox. If I played ultra-safe, they'd always find a way to break through. When I drew, it was because I played well but didn't take any risks. I remember one of my draws against one of the great players involved the entire middle board getting locked up by pawns. Whoever broke the line of battle would have to sacrifice a knight and try to come back from that. So we just called it a draw. Actually, I was planning to take the risk, but my opponent convinced me that he could easily win after a knight sacrifice. 

One time I played one of these guys with Nightmare Chess cards. I got to use the cards, but he had to play regular chess. So basically I had superpowers--a knight that could also move like a Queen, a card that freezes one of his pawns for the entire game, etc. On top of this, he wasn't allowed to look at the board. He had to memorize everything--even with the cards in play. He was able to do so, and still won...barely. I saw him beat someone without looking at the board, while watching Blazing Saddles. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

My schedule is a little unpredictable, so you'll have to be flexible with my schedule, unfortunately.

One time I played one of these guys with Nightmare Chess cards. I got to use the cards, but he had to play regular chess. So basically I had superpowers--a knight that could also move like a Queen, a card that freezes one of his pawns for the entire game, etc. On top of this, he wasn't allowed to look at the board. He had to memorize everything--even with the cards in play. He was able to do so, and still won...barely. I saw him beat someone without looking at the board, while watching Blazing Saddles. 

The schedule part you will have to work out with your opponent. I'm thinking a set amount of days for each round, and you and your guy will have to work out when you will play the games together, meaning you could do them all on the first day if you want. I'm thinking the number of days are going to be lenient but it's encouraged to get them finished as soon as possible.

Never heard of nightmare chess, but i've seen fairy chess pieces. I just played a blindfolded game with my cousin today, but he didn't know the names of the squares and intentionally played unorthodox and confusing moves to trick me, and I ended up getting distracted and forgetting some of the board pieces.

@Patine, you said you had a background in chess. Would you be interested in playing? If you joined we'd only need two more people. (Preferably, but we can make do with more or less)

9 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

@Patine, you said you had a background in chess. Would you be interested in playing? If you joined we'd only need two more people. (Preferably, but we can make do with more or less)

I had my chance. It was all right there before. Garry Kasparov was right in front in me. I could have been the World Grandmaster. But he beat me in four moves. I was humiliated and shamed, and NEVER played chess again. :P

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

I had my chance. It was all right there before. Garry Kasparov was right in front in me. I could have been the World Grandmaster. But he beat me in four moves. I was humiliated and shamed, and NEVER played chess again. :P

First off: Kasparov > Carlsen > Fischer

Secondly: Kasparov is barred from competing in this tournament, lol. Time to come out of retirement and put us to shame now, right? I'd pay to see a @vcczar vs @Patine final match.

IT'S TIME TO KICK ASS AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM

(or at least try too)

i'll observe tho

I am absolute garbage at chess, but I look forward to giving someone a BYE in the first round. 

I would enter, but I'm not sure about schedule flexibility (I've been pretty stacked ever since school started back up).  Plus, I tend to play slower, so I'd probably have trouble with the time restrictions.

5 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

I am absolute garbage at chess, but I look forward to giving someone a BYE in the first round. 

Thanks for joining. If @Patine joins then we just need one more.

56 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

It's starting to get busy at work. Not because I'm a student, of course, but because it's getting chilly earlier in the year than normal in Edmonton, which means people who would fall under my office's umbrella have fewer days left when in sleeping in parks, empty lots, and the river valley is no longer feasible, and they become MUCH more motivated to get active and arrange housing, or some sort of accommodations for the winter (which is known to more often than not be quite cold in this city). I'm not sure how much time I'd be able to definitely commit either.

@ThePotatoWalrus How are we going to ensure that no one uses a chess analyzer while playing? It's really easy to have those running when doing online chess. Generally, a good player can tell if one is being used, but those that don't play chess regularly would have a harder time picking up if the movements are being guided by a chess program. 

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Awesome. We need just one more now.

10 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

I'd gladly participate.

@Patine, I would give multiple days for each series of game. Each game would only be 12 minutes in length, and I would give around a week for each round maybe, but id be flexible if you made an effort to finish in the timeline.

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@ThePotatoWalrus How are we going to ensure that no one uses a chess analyzer while playing? It's really easy to have those running when doing online chess. Generally, a good player can tell if one is being used, but those that don't play chess regularly would have a harder time picking up if the movements are being guided by a chess program. 

Mostly the honor system. Also I like using lichess as a way to play and it can pick up on it if it's super obvious. From the players we have here I don't see anyone here cheating.

So I went ahead and made brackets using a random sequence generator. I'm paired with @Kingthero, who I've never really had the opportunity of talking with, so best of luck to you my fam.

Interestingly, @NYrepublican faces @NYConservative , battling to represent their state in a game of strategy and wit.

@CalebsParadox faces the unknown 8 challenger,(@Patine, this could be you pls)

@vcczar faces @Conservative Elector 2@vcczar has shown to be an experienced and skilled chess player, but @Conservative Elector 2, who has been relatively silent in this thread, could pose an unknown threat to (my personal) frontrunner for the title.

Lastly, I, a beginner chess player, face @Kingthero, who I, unfortunately, don't know much about, besides the fact that they claim to not be good either.

chessbrackets.png

randomsequence.png

13 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

So I went ahead and made brackets using a random sequence generator. I'm paired with @Kingthero, who I've never really had the opportunity of talking with, so best of luck to you my fam.

Interestingly, @NYrepublican faces @NYConservative , battling to represent their state in a game of strategy and wit.

@CalebsParadox faces the unknown 8 challenger,(@Patine, this could be you pls)

@vcczar faces @Conservative Elector 2@vcczar has shown to be an experienced and skilled chess player, but @Conservative Elector 2, who has been relatively silent in this thread, could pose an unknown threat to (my personal) frontrunner for the title.

Lastly, I, a beginner chess player, face @Kingthero, who I, unfortunately, don't know much about, besides the fact that they claim to not be good either.

chessbrackets.png

randomsequence.png

When we played I forced a draw.

What program are we using to play the chess games?

I just played my first chess game (vs the computer) in about 5 years. I had the best move 28% of the time, which is well below my traditional average. I'd have no doubt I'd win this tournament when I was at my peak 2001-2008, but having only played 10 total games since then (10 years ago), I'm highly rusty. I wouldn't call me the frontrunner. 

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

When we played I forced a draw.

Tru

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

What program are we using to play the chess games?

I like lichess. Use the play with friends option and send the link to the person. Make sure it's a 10 minute game with a 3 second increment. You don't need an account. Don't play until we get our 8th player though.

Actually, if you want to get your games in early, that is fine. But if it takes a while to get the 8th person, the people on the left side of the bracket would have to wait a bit.

@Kingthero, how free is your schedule? Since I have school im only free pretty much every weekday past 3:30. Free on weekends past noon.